HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Apr 04, 2012, 11:08 AM
Luck is my skill
queadlunnrau's Avatar
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,062 Posts
Deleted bwahahahahahaha
queadlunnrau is online now Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
Last edited by queadlunnrau; Apr 04, 2012 at 11:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2012, 12:02 PM
Mike
miketre's Avatar
Joined Dec 2010
750 Posts
In my opinion, 60g is very heavy for a 2S setup. It may fly, but may not fly well.
a 60g 3S battery should be ok. I'm currently flying my twins with either 35g 2S 610mah batteries or 51g 3S 500 mah batteries.

You should be able to run your 2S 470mah individually and get about 3 min or lesser of flight time.

I used to find 2-3 mins of flight time short. Now I find that a 2-3 min of micro EDF flying is just about when I need to have a few seconds of rest for my eyes. If on 2S, i change the battery and launch it back in the air again. If 3S, I will launch the next plane and let the ESC and motor cool down.
The only drawback is that I have to make frequent landings and launches.
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 04, 2012, 12:53 PM
CV-15 VB-16
giuseppi's Avatar
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketre View Post
The only drawback is that I have to make frequent landings and launches.
But on the bright side you're becoming a landing and launching expert.
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 04, 2012, 01:43 PM
Registered User
tnt1106's Avatar
Joined Dec 2011
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketre View Post
In my opinion, 60g is very heavy for a 2S setup. It may fly, but may not fly well.
a 60g 3S battery should be ok. I'm currently flying my twins with either 35g 2S 610mah batteries or 51g 3S 500 mah batteries.

You should be able to run your 2S 470mah individually and get about 3 min or lesser of flight time.

I used to find 2-3 mins of flight time short. Now I find that a 2-3 min of micro EDF flying is just about when I need to have a few seconds of rest for my eyes. If on 2S, i change the battery and launch it back in the air again. If 3S, I will launch the next plane and let the ESC and motor cool down.
The only drawback is that I have to make frequent landings and launches.

Are you saying the 35mm twins will run on 3s without burning up the motor / ESC? my Mig29 seems way under powered on 2s (159g AUW with a 500mAh 2s)
tnt1106 is offline Find More Posts by tnt1106
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 04, 2012, 01:52 PM
Luck is my skill
queadlunnrau's Avatar
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketre View Post
In my opinion, 60g is very heavy for a 2S setup. It may fly, but may not fly well.
a 60g 3S battery should be ok. I'm currently flying my twins with either 35g 2S 610mah batteries or 51g 3S 500 mah batteries.

You should be able to run your 2S 470mah individually and get about 3 min or lesser of flight time.

I used to find 2-3 mins of flight time short. Now I find that a 2-3 min of micro EDF flying is just about when I need to have a few seconds of rest for my eyes. If on 2S, i change the battery and launch it back in the air again. If 3S, I will launch the next plane and let the ESC and motor cool down.
The only drawback is that I have to make frequent landings and launches.
Thanks!

Deleted my post too early, bit the bullet and ordered some 50g 850mAh 2s ... still too heavy though, oh well you can never have too many batteries!
queadlunnrau is online now Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 04, 2012, 01:54 PM
Luck is my skill
queadlunnrau's Avatar
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnt1106 View Post
Are you saying the 35mm twins will run on 3s without burning up the motor / ESC? my Mig29 seems way under powered on 2s (159g AUW with a 500mAh 2s)
The motor will take it, not the ESC.

I have a 12a in my F-18 running 3s.

I believe miketre tried it on 3s and burned out a stock esc and is running 12a's now if I recall, but could be wrong.
queadlunnrau is online now Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 04, 2012, 02:39 PM
CV-15 VB-16
giuseppi's Avatar
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,369 Posts
Motor ok on 3S. ESC... not!
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 04, 2012, 02:47 PM
Registered User
tnt1106's Avatar
Joined Dec 2011
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by giuseppi View Post
Motor ok on 3S. ESC... not!
Quote:
Originally Posted by queadlunnrau View Post
The motor will take it, not the ESC.

I have a 12a in my F-18 running 3s.

I believe miketre tried it on 3s and burned out a stock esc and is running 12a's now if I recall, but could be wrong.
Well noted thanks guys! I will shop for some light 12a ESC's before attempting to change over to 3s.
tnt1106 is offline Find More Posts by tnt1106
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 04, 2012, 03:14 PM
Luck is my skill
queadlunnrau's Avatar
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnt1106 View Post
Well noted thanks guys! I will shop for some light 12a ESC's before attempting to change over to 3s.
One thing I've often wondered is, using the 3 bladed fan with the stock esc?

I don't have a watt meter (yet) and know that people have burned out the stock 6a esc on 3s, but not sure if I can recall (doing a search now) if anyone tried the stock esc with the 3 blade fan on 3s.
queadlunnrau is online now Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 04, 2012, 04:55 PM
FireHawx
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Oct 2011
1,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by queadlunnrau View Post
One thing I've often wondered is, using the 3 bladed fan with the stock esc?

I don't have a watt meter (yet) and know that people have burned out the stock 6a esc on 3s, but not sure if I can recall (doing a search now) if anyone tried the stock esc with the 3 blade fan on 3s.
I am running a 6A proton ESC in my Hawk on the 3 blade set-up. Never have any issue w/3S. I fly 3-5 packs back2back w/ no problem. It actually flies nice. It is MUCH quieter than the 5 blade and very light. I sounds almost as quiet as my AT 30mm 86 which is whisper quiet flying by.
FireHawx is offline Find More Posts by FireHawx
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 04, 2012, 05:47 PM
Luck is my skill
queadlunnrau's Avatar
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHawx View Post
I am running a 6A proton ESC in my Hawk on the 3 blade set-up. Never have any issue w/3S. I fly 3-5 packs back2back w/ no problem. It actually flies nice. It is MUCH quieter than the 5 blade and very light. I sounds almost as quiet as my AT 30mm 86 which is whisper quiet flying by.
GREAT TO KNOW!

Im going to try the 3 blades out on my F-15 and see if the stock ESC's last on 3s.
queadlunnrau is online now Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 04, 2012, 09:35 PM
Mike
miketre's Avatar
Joined Dec 2010
750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by giuseppi View Post
But on the bright side you're becoming a landing and launching expert.
Haha! Thanks, but What you folks don't see is how my mig 29 developed a concorde nose way before it could fly a complete pack of batteries.
BTW, the airframe parts for the Mig-29 and A-10 seems to be perpetually out of stock at HK. I ordered a few months ago. I cancelled the order this week and put the money to another plane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnt1106 View Post
Are you saying the 35mm twins will run on 3s without burning up the motor / ESC? my Mig29 seems way under powered on 2s (159g AUW with a 500mAh 2s)
I am using the turnigy plush 10A ECSs from hobbyking. Like queadlunnrau, the stock one burned out on the first flight and further accentuated the beautiful nose of my Mig29.
It's quite underpowered on 2S, but I like how it floats. I still fly in on 2S sometimes when there is little wind.
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 04, 2012, 10:21 PM
Registered User
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
3,996 Posts
My ESC burned out on 2S...I now have a 12A ESC and running 4S 250mAh batts...What a HOOT!!

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 04, 2012, 10:39 PM
Gravity sucks.
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Mar 2011
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by queadlunnrau View Post
One thing I've often wondered is, using the 3 bladed fan with the stock esc?

I don't have a watt meter (yet) and know that people have burned out the stock 6a esc on 3s, but not sure if I can recall (doing a search now) if anyone tried the stock esc with the 3 blade fan on 3s.
LOL my stock esc burnt as soon as i plugged a 3s battery into it - no motor beeps no nothing - just dead.
So... As always YMMV.
m_ark is offline Find More Posts by m_ark
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 05, 2012, 10:04 AM
Registered User
Joe 1320's Avatar
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,404 Posts
Took my new Mig-29 up today for a few flights. This thing flys wonky.

First launch it dragged it's tail, nose high and balloned up. Finally got the nose down and off it went. Couldn't quite get the trims right so I landed and started manually adjusting the control rods. Oh yeah, experienced the pitch down under thrust and pitch up on dead stick.

Next launch, the nose went to the dirt from admittedly a bad hand launch. Next attempt the nose pitched up on launch as it turned 90 from the wind. Rode it out and when it got on step, flew pretty good. Landed again for a little more tweaking.

Final launch the plane flew straight out, did the old ducted fan drop until it settled in and slowly climbed out straight. This pitch change according to thrust has to get fixed. Looks like I might add some thrust tubes or depron inserts to neck it down and change the thrust line a hair. Then I can trim it for a more neutral handling bird. Other than the pitch issues, not a bad flyer, it just feels like it needs lots of room with wide sweeping turns or it will drop the nose a bit in the turns. Elevators are a bit small, it really needs full floating elevators for them to have the right authority. It's no wonder the ailerons are coupled.

Seems like a fair amount of wash in, is this the consensus from everyone else or are my wings just twisted? The wing itself almost looks like an undercamber, seems odd for what amounts to be a delta wing with a tail extension. It almost feels like the plane's wings are wanting to push the nose down (along with the thrust line) and the tail is attempting to offset this with a higher elevator trim (as well as being undersized). Comments?
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Mini Mig-15 EDF from Hobby King Dreamcatcher Foamy EDFs 6 Jan 16, 2012 09:58 AM
New Product JPower/Banana Hobby 40mm Foam Mig-15 and F-86 ducted fan Mikemynameis Micro EDF Jets and Power Systems 557 Aug 18, 2011 05:01 PM
Build Log Hobby King Micro A-6 & F-86 Jets tallflyer Foamy EDFs 4 Jun 04, 2011 02:05 PM
New Product J-Power 30mm EDF Jets (F-86 & Mig-15) xplaneguy Foamy EDFs 1 Jan 16, 2011 05:59 AM
Park/indoor EDF F-86 and MiG-15 production news! Thomas B Parkflyers 8 Feb 06, 2002 06:30 PM