HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 31, 2012, 04:51 PM
USA, MO, O'Fallon
Joined Dec 2003
2,088 Posts
I finally flew my F-86 this afternoon (I bought it a year and a half ago) and am sorry I waited (well, I was out of action for a while, again, so it could not be helped). I am getting 200 Watts out of the stock motor on a 950 mAh 3s battery and other than having to hold three quarters left aileron to keep the wings level the medium bird flew like an aggressive angel.

Ailerons to be adjusted this evening and she flies again when I get the chance. Easy to launch (bum shoulder) and easy to fly. I may try to add a rudder but other than that no modifications needed.
martimer is offline Find More Posts by martimer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2012, 05:49 PM
Luck is my skill
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martimer View Post
I finally flew my F-86 this afternoon (I bought it a year and a half ago) and am sorry I waited (well, I was out of action for a while, again, so it could not be helped). I am getting 200 Watts out of the stock motor on a 950 mAh 3s battery and other than having to hold three quarters left aileron to keep the wings level the medium bird flew like an aggressive angel.

Ailerons to be adjusted this evening and she flies again when I get the chance. Easy to launch (bum shoulder) and easy to fly. I may try to add a rudder but other than that no modifications needed.
U have to be talking about the 50mm F-86 not the 35mm one.

Either way, happy maiden!
queadlunnrau is offline Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
Old Mar 31, 2012, 08:17 PM
USA, MO, O'Fallon
Joined Dec 2003
2,088 Posts
Ooops Sorry.
martimer is offline Find More Posts by martimer
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:05 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martimer View Post
So it's not just me that noticed this. I'm surprised torque roll would be affect this jet at flying speed.

At least it's a SkyAngel F-86, so it's at least about 50% relevant
fredmdbud is online now Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:32 PM
Luck is my skill
Joined Jun 2009
1,222 Posts
WOW I take back everything bad that I said about the F-18 in the past, sucks cause I cannot edit my HobbyKing review.

Just flew a few batteries and the F-18 really does fly GREAT! I found that 1 of my lipos was really weak, I think it was the one that went into Lake Union, now everything makes sense, why she would fly great 1 flight and crappy the next, it was the dang battery.

Long story short, 35mm F-18 GREAT, recovering lipos from water bad.
Old Apr 01, 2012, 09:37 AM
United States, AR, Jacksonville
Joined Jul 2004
494 Posts
I'm glad to hear about your F-18 experience. Would you mind posting your control throws? And are your surfaces mechanically linked like the stock setup?

I think my ailerons are too extreme in that I'm experience similar issues as desribed earlier. Unpredictable snap rolling.
Whiskey Whiskey is offline Find More Posts by Whiskey Whiskey
Old Apr 01, 2012, 01:22 PM
Luck is my skill
Joined Jun 2009
1,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Whiskey View Post
I'm glad to hear about your F-18 experience. Would you mind posting your control throws? And are your surfaces mechanically linked like the stock setup?

I think my ailerons are too extreme in that I'm experience similar issues as desribed earlier. Unpredictable snap rolling.
Yeah this bird can roll faster than any of my aerobatic planes.

To tame the roll, my ailerons are on the outter hole on the control horn, inner most hole on the servo horn, elevator is outter hole on both (though im thinking about moving in 1 more hole on the control horn for a touch more throw.)

Expo is at 30% and throws at 100% on my dx7. Because of torque roll on 3s, my right elevator (looking from the rear) is slightly higher than the left so my loops end up being cork screws, but im okay with that, since she flies pretty straight now.
Old Apr 01, 2012, 06:49 PM
United States, AR, Jacksonville
Joined Jul 2004
494 Posts
Thanks for the info!
Whiskey Whiskey is offline Find More Posts by Whiskey Whiskey
Old Apr 01, 2012, 07:09 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by queadlunnrau View Post
U have to be talking about the 50mm F-86 not the 35mm one.
Stop dissing the 35mm F-86! Mine flies great, rolls and loops just fine on 2s. Watch the weight, keep the speed up for maneuvers and no problem.
Angelo is offline Find More Posts by Angelo
Old Apr 01, 2012, 09:21 PM
Luck is my skill
Joined Jun 2009
1,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo View Post
Stop dissing the 35mm F-86! Mine flies great, rolls and loops just fine on 2s. Watch the weight, keep the speed up for maneuvers and no problem.
??? What u talking bout, I'm not dissing anything, he was saying 200 watts from a 950mAh 3s, i'm pretty sure he was talking about a 50mm sabre as a 950mah would be pretty hard to fit.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 01:48 AM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
749 Posts
I'm on my 2nd F-86. (guts from the first transferred to the F18 kit). on top of this, my flying buddy also has the F-86.
This has to be the poorest flying plane on among my 35mm EDF fleet. It rolls and loops fine, but it has the highest stall speed and must be flown fast. Launching the F-86 is also the hardest and requires the most strength.
Where is the CG on your F-86?

My Mig-15 on the other hand, flies great as long I don't get it to a high AOA. I put 2 of my flying buddies who are EDF novices on the end of a trainer cord, and they had no problems flying my Mig15. With the F-86, they could not complete more than 3 circuits.

This is totally opposite from what I read, so I suspect there could be something wrong with my F-86 setup.
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre
Old Apr 02, 2012, 09:35 AM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by queadlunnrau View Post
??? What u talking bout, I'm not dissing anything, he was saying 200 watts from a 950mAh 3s, i'm pretty sure he was talking about a 50mm sabre as a 950mah would be pretty hard to fit.
Sorry, I've just seen a lot of comments that the F-86 doesn't fly well.

Miketre, you bring an interesting point. Although I like the F-86, I don't have any of the other 35mm planes, so I have nothing to compare it to. Maybe I would love those much better than the F-86!

Having said that, I find launching the F-86 to be pretty easy, and landing isn't that big a deal either. I think wing loading is a big factor in this, which is why I'm hesitant to go to 3s. I'll have to check my weight and CG and report it later.
Angelo is offline Find More Posts by Angelo
Old Apr 03, 2012, 09:22 PM
Happy fly begin
Joined Aug 2004
681 Posts
I like the new twin 35mm F-15.

http://hdflyer.com/workbench-update-...35mm-f-15-edf/
JimH is offline Find More Posts by JimH
Last edited by JimH; Apr 03, 2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old Apr 03, 2012, 09:45 PM
Australia
Joined Mar 2010
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimH View Post
It looks really nice. I'm a bit disappointed that they decided to go with the regular servo connectors though. It seems that it will both add weight, and mean that those who are getting this as a replacement for their other jets, and might like to use their old receiver will have to change receivers.
I like the micro connectors since they seem to snap in nicely and just seem neat to me.
android78 is offline Find More Posts by android78
Old Apr 03, 2012, 09:50 PM
Flash, AAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhh
United States, UT, West Jordan
Joined Dec 2008
2,531 Posts
i like that they went with normal connectors. opens up the rx possibilities quite a lot which is always good for attracting people to these jets. more people flying them equals more jets
flashkick is offline Find More Posts by flashkick