HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 24, 2012, 11:10 AM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedericoA View Post
MINUTES OF FLYING with 250 mah....
I think you already know the answer to that one, LOL.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2012, 12:31 PM
Luck is my skill
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,175 Posts
Lost my first f18 in a tree last November, finally got it back a couple of days ago.

After many attempts to retrieve a nice neighbor found it a month ago after some heavy winds. I thought it lost for sure. Shows there are still nice people around.

It still works! Fan is good, servos are a go, rx is great. Just a little rust on the linkage screws and rods, Even the lipo still works, put in on a nicad charger to 10v and than back on the lipo charger, though there is no punch in it so its a test lipo now.

Weathers good today, so wish me luck on it's after vacation maiden.
queadlunnrau is offline Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
Old Mar 24, 2012, 12:35 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Great story! Love when a baby comes home after being lost. Rare, but it happens! Your's is a happier story.

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Mar 24, 2012, 07:27 PM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
749 Posts
Quad, I'm happy that you got your beautiful F18 back. You should video the next flight.

Jon has received the 35mm F-15. One of the things that he highlighted is that it now uses standard servo connections.

http://hdflyer.com/workbench-update-...35mm-f-15-edf/
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre
Old Mar 24, 2012, 08:50 PM
Flash, AAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhh
United States, UT, West Jordan
Joined Dec 2008
2,531 Posts
im buying the f-15 haha
flashkick is offline Find More Posts by flashkick
Old Mar 24, 2012, 09:19 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,199 Posts
First look at the new Skyangel EDF 35mm F15

HDFlyer.com now has a great photo shoot of the upcoming F-15.

Thanks go to Jon for the great photo's and article I referenced from his site, which can be found here.

NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Mar 25, 2012, 12:46 AM
Luck is my skill
Joined Jun 2009
1,175 Posts
Today was a bad day to fly, took 4 planes (including my f18) to the field working, took 4 planes back for repair.

The only crash that was my fault was my newly found F-18 ... She flew well, but 120% aileron throw with only 20% expo proved too quick for me, did a quick 540 when I meant a quick 360 roll and climbed ... inverted into the dirt.

Had my camera wife with me today, but wanted her to film my second battery after I had her trimmed out ... never got to the second lipo tho.

Btw ... I been begging for an F15 for a long time, finally! I'm getting 2 for sure.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 01:35 AM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,014 Posts
F-15 looks to be FANTASTIC!!!...BUT, I really hate the hokey combining ailerons with the elevators thing...If I get one (which is more likely than not!!!) I'm thinking 3.7g servos for the ailerons and running separate 3.7g servos for the elevators..Since I'm a die-hard 4S guy with these birds I'm thinking that this model won't even flinch at the few extra grams of a couple of tiny servos on 4S!!!...

Can't wait!!!

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Mar 25, 2012, 04:32 AM
Not enough hours in the day
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,427 Posts
Actually I'm thinking the direct opposite, it looks awful! I feel no compulsion to want to have it at all... I think I'm sticking to GP's and HH's latest releases.
Slaanesh is offline Find More Posts by Slaanesh
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:37 AM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,005 Posts
At this scale, separate servos for elevators & ailerons have the double-whammy of increased weight and battery loading.

Jets like the F-16, F-18 and F-15 are essentially tailed cropped-delta wings, which makes flying with elevons workable, whereas this is not the case with the MiG-15 and F-86. The main downside is increased drag and decreased lift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
F-15 looks to be FANTASTIC!!!...BUT, I really hate the hokey combining ailerons with the elevators thing...If I get one (which is more likely than not!!!) I'm thinking 3.7g servos for the ailerons and running separate 3.7g servos for the elevators..Since I'm a die-hard 4S guy with these birds I'm thinking that this model won't even flinch at the few extra grams of a couple of tiny servos on 4S!!!...

Can't wait!!!

Kevin
fredmdbud is offline Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Mar 25, 2012, 06:15 AM
Gravity sucks.
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Mar 2011
562 Posts
i just can't get past those "CAUTIOX" labels ...?
m_ark is offline Find More Posts by m_ark
Old Mar 25, 2012, 12:27 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaanesh View Post
Actually I'm thinking the direct opposite, it looks awful! I feel no compulsion to want to have it at all... I think I'm sticking to GP's and HH's latest releases.
No, it's not constructed like GP or HH micros, however, they don't have a twin---YET!!!....If it looks like my other micros it will be OK for me...

Kevin
Old Mar 25, 2012, 12:41 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmdbud View Post
At this scale, separate servos for elevators & ailerons have the double-whammy of increased weight and battery loading.

Jets like the F-16, F-18 and F-15 are essentially tailed cropped-delta wings, which makes flying with elevons workable, whereas this is not the case with the MiG-15 and F-86. The main downside is increased drag and decreased lift.
I guess that I'll just have to get one to show how well I can get it to fly...I'm running a 3.7g servo vs a 2g elevator in my MiG 15...The MiG doesn't even know the difference!!..The MiG 15 has three servos and is a single engine plane...The F-15 has two servos but twice the power...I know it's a larger model but I'll do several mods to lighten the plane up where possible...+, it looks like a Nip/Tuck is in order!!!

For me---The combination of mechanically mixing the ailerons and elevators spoils the true flight characteristics of the plane...I'll go conventional...If anything I have some 2g servos I could stuff in the wings for the ailerons...Elevators will get 3.7g servos...12amp postage stamp ESC's weigh next to nothing...Increased power consumption is a moot point with servos as small as these...

Kevin
Old Mar 25, 2012, 01:03 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by queadlunnrau View Post
Today was a bad day to fly, took 4 planes (including my f18) to the field working, took 4 planes back for repair.

The only crash that was my fault was my newly found F-18 ... She flew well, but 120% aileron throw with only 20% expo proved too quick for me, did a quick 540 when I meant a quick 360 roll and climbed ... inverted into the dirt.

Had my camera wife with me today, but wanted her to film my second battery after I had her trimmed out ... never got to the second lipo tho.

Btw ... I been begging for an F15 for a long time, finally! I'm getting 2 for sure.
I HATE it when that happens!!!..You're feelin' good with your "Airforce" and head out to the field to fly...And bring home all of 'em in some state of repair...We love the entire aspect of this hobby or else we wouldn't do it...I've had planes that I thought were totaled---Put them away for a while, got them out later with a fresh attitude and rebuilt them...Hope your planes aren't too banged up...

Kevin
Old Mar 25, 2012, 01:25 PM
Luck is my skill
Joined Jun 2009
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
I HATE it when that happens!!!..You're feelin' good with your "Airforce" and head out to the field to fly...And bring home all of 'em in some state of repair...We love the entire aspect of this hobby or else we wouldn't do it...I've had planes that I thought were totaled---Put them away for a while, got them out later with a fresh attitude and rebuilt them...Hope your planes aren't too banged up...

Kevin
They're all good now, stayed up till 1am fixing them, it always surprises me how easy foam is to fix, even straightened out the fuselage on my F18 from its previous crash.

Going to fly it again today, low aileron rates set to 80% and 35% expo, not going to do anything fancy, just circuits.