HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 01, 2012, 12:26 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
3,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketre View Post
I plane to maiden my Mig 15 this weekend in stock form. Any tips?

I read that the recommended CG is OK, and to launch it hard and level.
Anything else I should know?
Stock mine was quite a bit underpowered...Wouldn't even loop...First loop I tried the model stalled and requires a ton of altitude to recover...Just a heads up...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2012, 04:55 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
Stock mine was quite a bit underpowered...Wouldn't even loop...First loop I tried the model stalled and requires a ton of altitude to recover...Just a heads up...

Kevin
Is the Mig that different from the F-86? Mine loops just fine on 2s.
Angelo is offline Find More Posts by Angelo
Old Mar 02, 2012, 03:47 AM
Joined Feb 2012
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
It took me a bit to dial in the F-18, the plane would barely fly. It takes substantial elevator throw to get results, but use very little aileron or it's twitchy. You will need to mechanically set the linkages. Make sure that whatever elevator trim you settle on, reset the ailerons manually to neutral or you'll get some adverse yaw when you attempt to turn. I suspect that is the problem with yours. when dialed in, it works just fine. Too much aileron travel in the elevator mix and it wants to swap ends. Think of it as flying tailerons with just a little help from the ailerons mixed in to aid in authority. Too much aileron and too much lift gets bled off the wings.......that and this plane does NOT like to be tail heavy in the slightest. I suspect that is why the forward fuse wing extensions appear to have up incidence built in, my bet is that the manufacturer knows it needs to be a little nose heavy.

Cheers Joe, with your advise I Adjusted the links mechanically with virtually no throw on the ailerons and as much as possible on the elevators, And now it fly's.
One thing I noticed is that the roll is really responsive but the elevators are not, Is this still from too much aileron? It also have a massive turning circle, Much larger than your video, If I bank to much to turn it looses lots of height. Might take a bit of fine tuning. Thanks
Truckzilla is offline Find More Posts by Truckzilla
Old Mar 02, 2012, 08:54 AM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
750 Posts
Thanks guys. i'll fly circuits with the Mig15.

Tomorrow's going to be a micro day for me. All batteries charged but I doubt I'll get past the 10th battery though.
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre
Old Mar 02, 2012, 09:46 AM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,738 Posts
miketre,
Nice!!! That's a lot of lipos. I guess you don't have charging capability at the field? I used to have to burn several hours the day before charging up by mixed bag of lipos for the next day My club field just added electrical power so now I don't have to own as many lipos anymore.
dude_109 is offline Find More Posts by dude_109
Old Mar 02, 2012, 10:14 AM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckzilla View Post
Cheers Joe, with your advise I Adjusted the links mechanically with virtually no throw on the ailerons and as much as possible on the elevators, And now it fly's.
One thing I noticed is that the roll is really responsive but the elevators are not, Is this still from too much aileron? It also have a massive turning circle, Much larger than your video, If I bank to much to turn it looses lots of height. Might take a bit of fine tuning. Thanks
glad to help! Usually, transmitters have a mixing function that allows you to adjust the percentage of aileron to elevator. What you need is for the ailerons to deflect a greater amount when used in parallel with the elevator (giving it up stick). The mix also allows a reduction in aileron rate as well. The model needs help in pitch because of the small elevator surfaces not being full floating elevators. That reduction in authority is made up with the coupled ailerons. On jets, spoilers (up reflex) on the ailerons causes the nose to rise, dropping the ailerons (flaps) pushes the nose down. When coupled the elevator, it can fly well. Coupling them also increases roll rate exponentially. that's where dialing the aileron mix down is helpful. What transmitter do you have?
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Mar 02, 2012, 01:40 PM
Joined Feb 2012
14 Posts
Just using a DX4e at the moment, It works ok but because it only has mix, low rate (60%) and reverse switches I end up with a rectangular stick pattern, ie; the plane moves more on the roll, less on the elev, I could mechanically fix it by using a gate cut narrower so the stick can only travel so far left and right, but full swing back and forth to get the mix right. I have enough roll on low rates, but not enough elevator, on high rates I have too much roll and just the right elevator. I really can't be bothered with a new TX just yet......

Maybe I will have bite the bullet.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 04:18 PM
Add Lightness
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Dec 2011
301 Posts
only $70? for that hobbyking 9ch 2.4ghz. and are the DX6i still only $99? having expo and rates is a MUST. you will fly 1000x better and enjoying flying 1000x better with expo. I do.
MNadMan is offline Find More Posts by MNadMan
Old Mar 02, 2012, 04:21 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,404 Posts
Quote:
Maybe I will have bite the bullet.
It's one of the best investments you can make in the hobby. The programming can really tame a wild beast.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 06:54 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNadMan View Post
and are the DX6i still only $99?.
$99?!?! where is that? I paid $155 (on sale) for mine a few weeks ago.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 08:38 PM
Add Lightness
Joined Dec 2011
301 Posts
Dx6i used to be like $150 shipped? todds models? take the AR6200 and sell for $50 leaves a $99 DX6i.

honestly, get the $70 hobbyking 9ch.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 09:19 PM
Joined Feb 2012
14 Posts
I really like the old simple remotes, makes you have to control with your thumbs instead of a chip/programing doing most of the work for you, But I think I may have to get one.
Does anyone know if the ali-express DX6i's are fakes or real? They are only 120bucks or so.

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?...t=DX6i&catId=0
Old Mar 03, 2012, 09:32 AM
Add Lightness
Joined Dec 2011
301 Posts
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=19673
9ch $64 from USA warehouse and I think $10-$20 shipping?
Kicks a DX6i's butt.

just click the "email me when in stock" and when they do, order it.
Old Mar 03, 2012, 09:43 AM
Joined Feb 2006
7,404 Posts
Quote:
I really like the old simple remotes, makes you have to control with your thumbs instead of a chip/programing doing most of the work for you, But I think I may have to get one.
Getting one will only augment what you already know and can do......... Mostly in the mixing functions! Those alone are worth the price of admission.
Old Mar 03, 2012, 10:00 AM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,048 Posts
Quote:
I really like the old simple remotes, makes you have to control with your thumbs instead of a chip/programing doing most of the work for you...
You still have to fly the plane, no matter how many functions the transmitter has. The thing is, some of these functions make it easier, some are essential for certain kind of wings. Flying wings and deltas, for instance, used to need a mixer in the plane so that elevons would be possible. Early ones were mechanical, talk about complicated, nightmare engineering! Now you just set a function for it on the trans.

I LOVE dual rates and expo, they tame models to the point where they're fun to fly, instead of a chore. My F-86 would be no where near as much fun without expo and the ability to limit throws.