HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 28, 2012, 03:23 PM
The stalling italian
France, RA, Lyon
Joined Jan 2011
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgoughman View Post

I have searched the thread and found no real concensus on 3s with the stock ESC.

Thanks for any help!
First, welcome to small EDFs!
Second, which thread have you been searching? I think there are at least 150 posts where it has been said that it is not recommended to use the stock speedie on 3S. Some were lucky enough not to roast it (yet) but the majority had the motor stopping in mid air and digging a hole in the park.
My opinion is that there is a common consensus and it is definitely towards the Turnigy Plush 10A speedie.

Good luck!
gionir is offline Find More Posts by gionir
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:08 PM
Joined Feb 2012
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgoughman View Post
Sorry for the newb question here. I'm new to the micro\nano EDF world. Most of my experience is in the 70\90 mm size. I love the little F-86 i got last week, it flies great with a couple common sense mods.

My question is around the stock ESC, will it work with 3s? I did a couple of run ups with 3s 450mah and noticed the fan slips on the shaft... which i can easily correct but it triggered me to ask this question.

I have searched the thread and found no real concensus on 3s with the stock ESC.

Thanks for any help!
Hi I have used the F-86 on 3S with the stock speedy, It makes it fly a lot better, I posted a vid in post 2508 in this thread on page 168, I think if you are going to upgrade the ESC to run 3S, why take the chance and fry the old one first? IMO
Truckzilla is offline Find More Posts by Truckzilla
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:12 PM
Joined Feb 2012
14 Posts
Hi guys and girls, Need some EDF Help.

I have just built up a micro 35mm EDF F-18. The I have set it up as it should be with the right CG and I think the right amount of throw on the control surfaces. It has a aeo EDF with a 8 blade fan and 11000kv on 2s setup, with an measured 130gr thrust fitted to the F-18, the whole setup is about 130gr as well.

By hand launch it seems to be going ok, but as it gains speed, it seems the back wants to overtake the front by flipping or yawing, Then it just falls out of the sky. Straight down like a stone, but not necessarily nose first, it can fall belly first or even tail first. The controls have no effect once this starts happening either, there is no counter-acting it.

It looks sort of like when a rocket turns and spins all over the place, or even when a blown up balloon that has been let go and fly's around the room.

I will try to post some pics in a few hours when I get home. I will also try to get a vid soon.

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:12 PM
The stalling italian
France, RA, Lyon
Joined Jan 2011
251 Posts
Well you definitely could take your chances, but Murphy's law watches you and your planes and the ESC will certainly fry in a tight corner, or when you need to climb up from a mistake.
I think that risking the plane is not worth it.
You might always need the 6A ESC for a smaller plane one day?

Anyway, everyone can do what they want with their planes, I prefer to be safe than sorry.
gionir is offline Find More Posts by gionir
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:28 PM
Australia
Joined Mar 2010
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckzilla View Post

I have just built up a micro 35mm EDF F-18. The I have set it up as it should be with the right CG and I think the right amount of throw on the control surfaces. It has a aeo EDF with a 8 blade fan and 11000kv on 2s setup, with an measured 130gr thrust fitted to the F-18, the whole setup is about 130gr as well.

By hand launch it seems to be going ok, but as it gains speed, it seems the back wants to overtake the front by flipping or yawing, Then it just falls out of the sky. Straight down like a stone, but not necessarily nose first, it can fall belly first or even tail first. The controls have no effect once this starts happening either, there is no counter-acting it.

It looks sort of like when a rocket turns and spins all over the place, or even when a blown up balloon that has been let go and fly's around the room.

I will try to post some pics in a few hours when I get home. I will also try to get a vid soon.

Thanks in advance.
Basically sounds like too much drag at the front of the plane. It's hard to say without seeing the plane, but a couple of things:
1. Do you have over-sized intakes, or much larger then the exhausts? If so, this could be an issue.
2. Is it twin edf. If so, are you sure that you're getting the same thrust from both motors?
android78 is offline Find More Posts by android78
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:22 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
3,925 Posts
I wouldn't dare trust the stock ESC on 3S!!! Mine burned out on the 3rd flight on 2S...I'm now running a 12 amp ESC which is the same size as a 10 amp unit...On 4S!!!...My MiG 15 really scoots on 4S and has been Dopplered @ 70mph...The exhaust is huge for this plane to increase low end grunt (thrust)...I'm thinking that a nip/tuck would make my plane faster as it has enough thrust on 4S....

Kevin
Kevin Greene is online now Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Feb 29, 2012, 03:04 AM
Joined Feb 2012
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by android78 View Post
Basically sounds like too much drag at the front of the plane. It's hard to say without seeing the plane, but a couple of things:
1. Do you have over-sized intakes, or much larger then the exhausts? If so, this could be an issue.
2. Is it twin edf. If so, are you sure that you're getting the same thrust from both motors?
Cheers, Nothing is changed on the intake/exhaust from stock, the plane is the one available from HK. it is a single EDF unit, but with twin intake/exhaust.

The EDF I am running should have 30% more thrust than the stock setup.

Cheers

Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:36 AM
Add Lightness
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Dec 2011
301 Posts
not sure what s happening from what you said. is it nose diving under full throttle? are you able to fly it at all? does it fly ok at 1/2 throttle?
If it just turns and you can't correct it then I'd say you are too tail heavy (move battery forward), but if it's diving down on hand launch, it could be nose heavy - move battery back farther. hard to know without seeing what the plane is doing.

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
MNadMan is offline Find More Posts by MNadMan
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:52 PM
Electric flyer
Renton, WA, US
Joined Oct 2007
1,291 Posts
Maybe you are just not used to elevator and aileron being linked together. It is very easy to stall and tumble the airplane with this setup. Personally, I don't care for it. Keep my elevator and ailerons separate!
fly time is offline Find More Posts by fly time
Old Feb 29, 2012, 03:41 PM
Australia
Joined Mar 2010
156 Posts
Quote:
Cheers, Nothing is changed on the intake/exhaust from stock, the plane is the one available from HK. it is a single EDF unit, but with twin intake/exhaust.

The EDF I am running should have 30% more thrust than the stock setup.

Cheers
One thing I noticed is that it looks like you are using the positions 2 and 4 on the servo arm. Looking at the HK review, the are using 3 and 5. This will change the ratio of tail to aileron movement, so it might be worth playing with either using 1 and 4, or 3 and 5. Also, you don't have the servo arm straight when the surfaces are flat, so you won't get a lot of movement with full up elevator. Maybe try setting the surfaces flat when you have the servo arm vertical and see if that helps.
android78 is offline Find More Posts by android78
Old Feb 29, 2012, 06:52 PM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
749 Posts
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Where is your CG at?
Manual says 36mm, but mine is at 33mm. 3mm makes a lot of difference.
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre
Old Feb 29, 2012, 08:05 PM
United States, GA, Snellville
Joined Nov 2005
845 Posts
So guys that have owned several versions of the skyangel 35mm series,which would you suggest to get into first and is overall the best kit to get?
smasher41 is offline Find More Posts by smasher41
Old Feb 29, 2012, 08:24 PM
Joined Feb 2012
14 Posts
Thanks, sorry for any confusion those pics are just some I grabbed off the HK site. To reference the model I was talking about.
I set my servo arm straight down when the jet is sitting on the bench, and linked the furthest hole on the servo to the second to last hole in the elevator, and the second to furthest hole in the servo arm to the aileron, The elevators move more than the airelons. I am using a DX4e set to low rates (60% i think). And get about 6-7mm throw on the elevators and 4-5mm throw on the airelons. The CG would be set about 20-25mm from the leading edge of the wing (behind the intake) I would say it is a little nose heavy, compaired to yours miketre.
I have been able to fly about 100meters max then bank and smothly complete about an eighth of a turn then it seemed to drop and hit the ground. This would be the best flight I have had with it.

I have had fairly windy and bad weather lately but I will get a video within the next few days,

With your point of larger intakes than exhaust, android, This does have substantially larger inlets compaired to the exhaust, could this be a problem. I have a whole spair one fuselage, should I try enlarging them?

Thanks for all the help.

I really don't like the elevon setup either, I think I may try to run a seperate setup.
Old Mar 01, 2012, 07:25 AM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,323 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, sorry for any confusion those pics are just some I grabbed off the HK site. To reference the model I was talking about.
I set my servo arm straight down when the jet is sitting on the bench, and linked the furthest hole on the servo to the second to last hole in the elevator, and the second to furthest hole in the servo arm to the aileron, The elevators move more than the airelons. I am using a DX4e set to low rates (60% i think). And get about 6-7mm throw on the elevators and 4-5mm throw on the airelons. The CG would be set about 20-25mm from the leading edge of the wing (behind the intake) I would say it is a little nose heavy, compaired to yours miketre.
I have been able to fly about 100meters max then bank and smothly complete about an eighth of a turn then it seemed to drop and hit the ground. This would be the best flight I have had with it.

I have had fairly windy and bad weather lately but I will get a video within the next few days,

With your point of larger intakes than exhaust, android, This does have substantially larger inlets compaired to the exhaust, could this be a problem. I have a whole spair one fuselage, should I try enlarging them?

Thanks for all the help.

I really don't like the elevon setup either, I think I may try to run a seperate setup.

It took me a bit to dial in the F-18, the plane would barely fly. It takes substantial elevator throw to get results, but use very little aileron or it's twitchy. You will need to mechanically set the linkages. Make sure that whatever elevator trim you settle on, reset the ailerons manually to neutral or you'll get some adverse yaw when you attempt to turn. I suspect that is the problem with yours. when dialed in, it works just fine. Too much aileron travel in the elevator mix and it wants to swap ends. Think of it as flying tailerons with just a little help from the ailerons mixed in to aid in authority. Too much aileron and too much lift gets bled off the wings.......that and this plane does NOT like to be tail heavy in the slightest. I suspect that is why the forward fuse wing extensions appear to have up incidence built in, my bet is that the manufacturer knows it needs to be a little nose heavy. He's a vid, about as mild of a setup as you can get. Stock motor and fan, 6A esc, 2g servos, 2s 450 lipo...... nothing really there except the bare minimum.

JPower F-18 35mm test flight (1 min 21 sec)
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Last edited by Joe 1320; Mar 01, 2012 at 07:34 AM.
Old Mar 01, 2012, 08:21 AM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
749 Posts
I plane to maiden my Mig 15 this weekend in stock form. Any tips?

I read that the recommended CG is OK, and to launch it hard and level.
Anything else I should know?
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre