HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 18, 2012, 02:25 PM
How do I land this thing?
United States, IN, Warsaw
Joined Feb 2012
218 Posts
got my mig-15 yesterday and gave it a little test flight today. the poor thing can barely get out of it's own way on 2s. good thing I have a 10amp esc on the way. I really had to throw it to get it going but once in the air it would buzz around ok. I'm using a stripped down flysky receiver with the servo wires soldered in and hot glued under the battery bay. it does leave lots of room for the battery

fathergoat is offline Find More Posts by fathergoat
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2012, 04:25 PM
Add Lightness
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Dec 2011
302 Posts
Well as I posted before, on my MiG-29 I changed the thrust angle to be a lot more up. and I took it out for a re-maiden today. it was a bit gusty and wind speed up and down. but I got a good flight in.
I hand launched it at 2/3rd throttle, it flew away perfectly nice and even. I didn't need any trim. 1/3 throttle, 2/3 throttle, full throttle and even cut the throttle and she does not climb or dive. beautiful!
at slower speeds it's hard to get her to turn.
I'm going back out soon as the wind is dying down, going to try to add in more aileron throw.
it handled the wind really well. the UMX beast was getting knocked around all over the place by the same wind. the MiG-29 was very smooth and stable
MNadMan is offline Find More Posts by MNadMan
Old Feb 18, 2012, 08:22 PM
Joined Feb 2012
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P 51 flier View Post
I was looking at making the 35mm f-86 my first EDF. I have a dx4e without any expo so I was curious if I could fly this on low rates. I have a Trojan a super cub and some ultra micros. How much faster is this than the Trojan and how much room does it need. I've heard that EDF jets are hard to hand launch so any tips?
Hi I bought one of these, 35mm F-86s, A few months ago, as my first EDF and after only a few weeks of flying. I use a Dx4e. It fly's great and only took a little practice. The best way to hand launch is to throw with a lot of force to get the air speed up, Jets have little response when there is insufficient air flowing over the control surfaces.

The F-86 does tend to be a little tail heavy which leads to funny bank turning, the stock ESC did handle 3S, mine only fried, due to a blob of hot glue jammin the fan, this would of still blown the ESC on 2S. But I take no responsibility for any blown ESC on 3S, so try at your own risk.

Fly's quick and level with 3S I got 130gr thrust approx from it. Sorry don't have the std specs for thrust. Upgraded both servos to 8G and inverted the aileron servo and ran the links out the fuselage to stop breakage on belly landings on thicker grass.

3s f-86.AVI (0 min 36 sec)
Vid of 3s micro F-86
Truckzilla is offline Find More Posts by Truckzilla
Last edited by Truckzilla; Feb 18, 2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 08:45 PM
Joined Feb 2012
14 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brmhc...pAoqxOBBZnyZDS

Another vid of 3S F-86
Old Feb 18, 2012, 10:53 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,022 Posts
I'm flying my MiG 15 on 4S....My ESC burned out after a couple of flights on 2S...I'm now running a 12 amp ESC and she really scoots on 4S...The stock motor can easily handle 4S with the stock fan rotor...I don't know about flying with a 6 blade rotor.....

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Feb 18, 2012, 11:33 PM
NOT A L.O.S.er
Joined Oct 2011
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckzilla View Post
Hi I bought one of these, 35mm F-86s, A few months ago, as my first EDF and after only a few weeks of flying. I use a Dx4e. It fly's great and only took a little practice. The best way to hand launch is to throw with a lot of force to get the air speed up, Jets have little response when there is insufficient air flowing over the control surfaces.

The F-86 does tend to be a little tail heavy which leads to funny bank turning, the stock ESC did handle 3S, mine only fried, due to a blob of hot glue jammin the fan, this would of still blown the ESC on 2S. But I take no responsibility for any blown ESC on 3S, so try at your own risk.

Fly's quick and level with 3S I got 130gr thrust approx from it. Sorry don't have the std specs for thrust. Upgraded both servos to 8G and inverted the aileron servo and ran the links out the fuselage to stop breakage on belly landings on thicker grass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQqUp...ature=youtu.be Vid of 3s micro F-86
Thanks. On low rates is it still touchy and how much room does it need to fly. (More than a larger plane like the Trojan)
P 51 flier is offline Find More Posts by P 51 flier
Old Feb 19, 2012, 01:29 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
Kevi, don't load the motor with more blades - it will only slow it down anyway...
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Feb 19, 2012, 03:29 AM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Kevi, don't load the motor with more blades - it will only slow it down anyway...
Gotcha!!!...THANKS for helping me not waste $$$ on the rotor!!!

The wife was cleaning up my mess (she can't stand a mess and what modeler doesn't create one???) and I'm guessing that she threw away the canopy for my MiG.........Guess what I've been making tonight from scrap foam!?!?!???!!!.......I've got it primed and ready for paint...

Kevin

I found the canopy but had to go dumpster diving to get it...Even digging through your own trash is NASTY!!!.....

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Last edited by Kevin Greene; Feb 20, 2012 at 03:24 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 04:13 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
"she threw away the canopy for my MiG...
Crikey!

I just cast my Mig canopy so I can make a vac-formed version to allow more lipo space under the hood...
Old Feb 19, 2012, 09:46 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
I just got the A-10 yesterday looks decent, the rear tail surfaces were a little warped but I bent the foam back in shape just fine. I haven't flown it yet but would you guys suggest throwing this bad boy or taking off from pavement? It is tail heavy to say the least with the landing gear on it can't keep the nose down without the lipo.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:17 AM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Crikey!

I just cast my Mig canopy so I can make a vac-formed version to allow more lipo space under the hood...
Are you going with clear plastic? Don't like those black canopies.

Can you explain how you're casting it? I might try that myself.
Angelo is online now Find More Posts by Angelo
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:55 AM
Happy fly begin
Joined Aug 2004
681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
I just got the A-10 yesterday looks decent, the rear tail surfaces were a little warped but I bent the foam back in shape just fine. I haven't flown it yet but would you guys suggest throwing this bad boy or taking off from pavement? It is tail heavy to say the least with the landing gear on it can't keep the nose down without the lipo.
I am using 2, 2s 360's and mine cg's ok with the landing gear on. It takes a lot of runway before it get's in the air so make sure it is tracking straight if you run the gear. Of all the 35mm jets I have, mig, f-18 and a-10, I think the a-10 is the better flyer of those 3.
JimH is offline Find More Posts by JimH
Old Feb 19, 2012, 03:10 PM
The stalling italian
France, RA, Lyon
Joined Jan 2011
297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
...it is tail heavy to say the least with the landing gear on it can't keep the nose down without the lipo.
And it shouldn't! If she balances out without the lipo you've got a problem there.
After all you'll be flying WITH the battery so it makes sense that she's unbalanced without..
gionir is offline Find More Posts by gionir
Old Feb 19, 2012, 05:50 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
angelo - I use the dental casting rubbery stuff called alginate..smells like peppermint. You set up the original canopy in a little square container slightly larger and higher than the canopy. Make a stand-off so it(canopy) sits a little higher off the base. Pour in the Alginate and let it set (takes a minute). I let it sit there for a few more minutes and then peel it out of the container and sit it up side down to let it dry a little more. Then, mix super fine casting powder (plaster of Paris) into the alginate mold and you get a strong copy of your canopy. Use this to vac-form or shrink plastic over.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 06:40 PM
Joined Feb 2012
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P 51 flier View Post
Thanks. On low rates is it still touchy and how much room does it need to fly. (More than a larger plane like the Trojan)
They can still be a bit skittish or twitchy but thats due to there small size, as soon as you turn they are on a knife edge before you know it, a larger plane will take some time to lift its wing, so the larger ones seem more docile. you Should be able to fly on a normal oval, say 200x200 meters, but it would Really depend on your flying skills