HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2012, 09:01 AM
Low rates are for wimps
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,341 Posts
Here's a video with my Mig on 2S 800mAh. A bit nose heavy perhaps - but I think I'll try to trim the ailerons up a bit more - I really don't think the elevators are effective at all.

Skyangel / Hobbyking Nano Mig-29 - Trying the C/G a Bit Further Forward (4 min 56 sec)
bwoollia is online now Find More Posts by bwoollia
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2012, 10:02 AM
I AM SOFA KING WE TODD DID
Iceland, Westfjords, safjrur
Joined Mar 2011
1,105 Posts
Maidened my A10 (finally). Used a hyperion 2S 850mah 25c, all the way forward for the proper cg.

I used the landing gear. I had a little problem with the motors being out of sync. Had to re-set the esc throttle tx 2 times before it worked correctly.

1st flight she needed about 7 clicks of right aileron trim. Using high rates and 25%exp. Fun little flier. I am flying with the bombs, so prolly not as fast as she could be, but still very zippy.

My first landing tore off the radar and front cannon. I'm not even gonna bother to reattach.

I only flew for 3 minutes (new batteries) and came down with 3.93 in each cell left over.

I tried to use smaller batteries but she really needs (at least mine) the weight of the 850's all the way forward.

I also had 2 more flights w/ the F86. 2S 325mah 65c thunderpower. Fun, but I will probably go to 3S soon enough. It always seems on the edge of a stall during turns.

My Mig 29 was going to get flown too, but I broke a control horn during the pre-flight checks. I was glad it happened on the ground. Anyone have an idea where to get some micro-control horns and hardware????
wavekatcher is offline Find More Posts by wavekatcher
Old Feb 05, 2012, 10:40 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Wave that sounds good hopefully getting mine in a couple weeks. I have several 500 mah batteries so hopefully they balance out. Got some 850 3s batteries, has anyone tried 3s in the A-10?
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Feb 05, 2012, 10:55 AM
I AM SOFA KING WE TODD DID
Iceland, Westfjords, safjrur
Joined Mar 2011
1,105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
Wave that sounds good hopefully getting mine in a couple weeks. I have several 500 mah batteries so hopefully they balance out. Got some 850 3s batteries, has anyone tried 3s in the A-10?
3s will work w/ the motors, but not the stock esc's. The escs will fry.
wavekatcher is offline Find More Posts by wavekatcher
Old Feb 05, 2012, 11:04 AM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
That's all good stuff, but the kiss method can't put a number on it. Oh well, sounds like it will hold.
The motor really is so cool that it really isn't worth the effort...For grins and giggles I'll break out the hand held IR thermometer and check it...Like all of the cheap IR thermometers it is permanently set for an emissivity setting of 98---Which is what human skin is...If I don't get any reflectivity then I may be able to get a somewhat accurate readying...I'm thinking of coloring the can with a stripe of black from a Sharpie...Since this is one of the cheapo IR thermometers just like almost everyone has (Isn't emissivity adjustable) the readings will be ballpark at best....(+ or minus 10 degrees is HUGE!!!) That's why I don't hold much faith in the readings posted here on RCG as it really takes training with one of these to get accurate readings...

I'll see what I can come up with...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Last edited by Kevin Greene; Feb 05, 2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old Feb 05, 2012, 11:35 AM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azn_Ace View Post
Given this Art Tech "v2" has come out, how come no one is flying those instead?
Can you post a link?

g
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi
Old Feb 05, 2012, 09:24 PM
Add Lightness
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Dec 2011
302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoollia View Post
Here's a video with my Mig on 2S 800mAh. A bit nose heavy perhaps - but I think I'll try to trim the ailerons up a bit more - I really don't think the elevators are effective at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLi0ckKirUQ
Brian, nice video!

Floats pretty slow even with that 800mah in it. I just ordered a couple 500mah 2s for mine.

Will be interesting to see what more aileron throw will do.
I'm going to also want to play with mine and see what works best. also try full tailerons and for sure thrust vectoring.
MNadMan is offline Find More Posts by MNadMan
Old Feb 05, 2012, 09:39 PM
The stalling italian
France, RA, Lyon
Joined Jan 2011
297 Posts
Guys, I finally received my hawk kit from HK.
As I don't have the manual, could someone please post the position of the CG?

Many thanks!

G
gionir is offline Find More Posts by gionir
Old Feb 06, 2012, 03:35 AM
>_>
England
Joined Oct 2008
62 Posts
hi, does anyone know if this ESC can handle the rpm of motor in the 35mm bae hawk on a 3s?

i bought an 18A esc as i can use it for another project and as its not much bigger and only a few grams heavier i thought it would be fine but it didnt cross my mind if the ESC could handle the crazy RPM of the "9000kv" (cant be right) motor on a 3s or not.

the plush 10A esc's which i read work well are available on ebay in my country so i will just buy one of those if anyone knows that the 18A esc isnt going to work.
weetsie is offline Find More Posts by weetsie
Old Feb 06, 2012, 03:50 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,199 Posts
yes, the 18A will work easily.

I have not heard of anyone actually having a 9000kv motor yet. Mine all measure around 7000kv.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Feb 06, 2012, 01:15 PM
I feel the need...
Orange County
Joined Feb 2011
459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by giuseppi View Post
Can you post a link?

g
http://www.bananahobby.com/2244.html
Azn_Ace is offline Find More Posts by Azn_Ace
Old Feb 06, 2012, 05:03 PM
Not enough hours in the day
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,426 Posts
I kind of like the Art-Tech F-86 more than the Great Planes version. The biggest issue is that it's a porky 140g RTF vs 67g... DOUBLE the weight! Though to compensate to a degree the Art-tech model is somewhat bigger at 45cm wingspan vs 38cm.

Other advantages are having 2x servos for ailerons, 3S battery and removable wing.

Having said that that it could easily shed some weight as you could lose those 8 magnets for the wing, and uses 1.7g servos instead of those beefy 3.6g servos. I bet you could save 10-12g with lighter servos and removing those magnets and not fitting the fuel tanks or wheels.

It looks like a better design than the J-Power model with more space in the canopy area for battery and RX.as well as a neat tube to house the aileron servo wires.

If I didn't already have the J-Power F-86 I'd snaffle up the Art-tech one - assuming I could get it here in Australia without paying squillions on postage! Maybe HobbyKing will stock them?
Slaanesh is offline Find More Posts by Slaanesh
Old Feb 06, 2012, 05:52 PM
I feel the need...
Orange County
Joined Feb 2011
459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaanesh View Post
I kind of like the Art-Tech F-86 more than the Great Planes version. The biggest issue is that it's a porky 140g RTF vs 67g... DOUBLE the weight! Though to compensate to a degree the Art-tech model is somewhat bigger at 45cm wingspan vs 38cm.

Other advantages are having 2x servos for ailerons, 3S battery and removable wing.

Having said that that it could easily shed some weight as you could lose those 8 magnets for the wing, and uses 1.7g servos instead of those beefy 3.6g servos. I bet you could save 10-12g with lighter servos and removing those magnets and not fitting the fuel tanks or wheels.

It looks like a better design than the J-Power model with more space in the canopy area for battery and RX.as well as a neat tube to house the aileron servo wires.

If I didn't already have the J-Power F-86 I'd snaffle up the Art-tech one - assuming I could get it here in Australia without paying squillions on postage! Maybe HobbyKing will stock them?
I think a main advantage of the Art Tech version is the EPO foam (which is why it is heavier). This makes the plane almost indestructible vs. the EPS foam of the HH UM's. It also means it can fly better in windy conditions.

The main reason I like UM's is the "pick up and fly after crash" characteristic. Otherwise I have plenty of other jets already in my stable...
Azn_Ace is offline Find More Posts by Azn_Ace
Old Feb 06, 2012, 06:25 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,014 Posts
Quote:

I agree with your ideas for mods...Too bad we can get one as a "Kit Only" with only the fan and motor like the SkyAngel version.....The one thing that I don't like about it is the weight as it weighs about the same as my SA MiG...I won't fly that one in my back yard as the landing speeds are too great...I have the GP Sabre ordered as the lightness/less mass will allow me to enjoy this from my back yard, flying from my back porch/patio!!!......

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Feb 07, 2012, 03:21 AM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
749 Posts
Quote:
I kind of like the Art-Tech F-86 more than the Great Planes version.
I wish I have not seen your post. After seeing your post, I did a search on the Great Planes micro jet and I am poisoned! The indoor flying clip looks great!
Now I wished I haven't bought so many Jpower micro EDFs!
miketre is online now Find More Posts by miketre