HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 22, 2011, 07:52 AM
it wasn't me flying that plane
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Mar 2011
727 Posts
Have any of you guys tried a 3 axis stabilizer in these micro-jets to tame the jitteriness you get with micros?I use them in all my jets now and it smooths out the flight in ways you cannot believe..cancels out the jumping around from windy conditions as well..Also makes CG a non issue as long as you are in the ballpark..
My scorpion is unflyable without the gyro because I keep the batteries so far back for hovering,ect..Gyro turned on and it like it's on rails..With it off it gets so out of whack I would not be able to get it back down in 1 piece..

Eflite has put out a micro system now for it's micro aircraft and it makes the little beast fly in the same manner..They even intentionally set it up tail heavy for 3D flight..
Take care .....................Chris

I am building a micro scorpion now to try a 3 axis system on...
Pic of scratchbuilt scorpion..
Hover or die is offline Find More Posts by Hover or die
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2011, 09:28 AM
United Kingdom, England, Cobham
Joined Oct 2007
552 Posts
Updated Comparisons 27 to 35mm

I have trawled throught the AEO RC thread and added all the meaningful bench tests that I could find. The Sky Angel stock 35mm (as tested by MegaTesla) holds up very well against all the AEO fans. But look at the ADF35-100 PLUS 6,000KV - it equals the Sky Angel on 3S and was even tested on 4S! I wonder when it will be available?

I don't want to detract from this thread on the Sky Angel birds - anyone keen to see a new thread for comparing all micro/nano sized fans? We can have separate comparisons for all the different sizes ie. 20, 27, 30, 35, and 40mm (the graph is starting to get a bit crowded).

Oh, and my Xmas pressie arrived today - 3 x 35mm fan housings from Shapeways, as designed by NitroCharged. Very impressed with the quality/finish/rigidity. Thanks Nitro! Have bought a few in-runners of varying KV too. Bring on the testing.

Jacques
Jacques.Eloff is offline Find More Posts by Jacques.Eloff
Last edited by Jacques.Eloff; Dec 24, 2011 at 12:25 AM.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:10 AM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,289 Posts
Jacques.Eloff,

You left out one very important data point. The amp draw. High amp draw means heavier bats and ESCs. Something that needs to be considered for a micro build. I'm with you on a new thread. I'd say make it a sticky thread to serve as a reference.

My bad. Ther is already a sticky thread for this. I would have to see if it's up to date. A lot has happened in the past year.

Ksqm
ksqm is offline Find More Posts by ksqm
Last edited by ksqm; Dec 22, 2011 at 10:14 AM. Reason: My Stupidity
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:13 AM
Add Lightness
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Dec 2011
302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hover or die View Post
Have any of you guys tried a 3 axis stabilizer in these micro-jets to tame the jitteriness you get with micros?I use them in all my jets now and it smooths out the flight in ways you cannot believe..cancels out the jumping around from windy conditions as well..Also makes CG a non issue as long as you are in the ballpark..
My scorpion is unflyable without the gyro because I keep the batteries so far back for hovering,ect..Gyro turned on and it like it's on rails..With it off it gets so out of whack I would not be able to get it back down in 1 piece..

Eflite has put out a micro system now for it's micro aircraft and it makes the little beast fly in the same manner..They even intentionally set it up tail heavy for 3D flight..
Take care .....................Chris

I am building a micro scorpion now to try a 3 axis system on...
Pic of scratchbuilt scorpion..
I'd be interested in what 3 axis systems you use / recommend. never tried one. but I would like them for wind. I usually fly when calm cause I don't like fighting the wind especially if it's constant up and down gusty wind.

I have a few edfs and prop planes and manage to get them to fly well. without. but might be interesting to try one. at the same time, I think in a couple rare cases, I could feel something was wrong with the plane because it felt off, and with a gyro I might not till it's too late and a loose servo horn or something let's go.

oh, and do they have a super tiny and more so ultra light weight one you can easily add to a tiny 35mm jet like this? I read about the one on the new UMX Beast, but that is built in to the board and not sold sep correct?
MNadMan is offline Find More Posts by MNadMan
Old Dec 22, 2011, 03:53 PM
New Zealand
Joined Aug 2006
34 Posts
Elevator servo failed on my F86 sending it plummeting. Have since discovered that the F86 has a nose weight in it...

Most annoying thing is I'm finally on holiday and I don't have a replacement servo. My hobbyking order from 3 weeks ago hasn't even left the factory!
toxaq is offline Find More Posts by toxaq
Old Dec 22, 2011, 06:43 PM
Joined Aug 2009
2,415 Posts
It's a great system, but I can't see the current units fitting in a 35mm airframe. I'm probably missing something. But, I do plan on adding one or two to larger planes just for the fun of it...It's got to be great for 3D (TV) EDf's. Probably blow those Sebart 29's out of the air. Literally.
19000rpm is offline Find More Posts by 19000rpm
Old Dec 23, 2011, 06:00 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques.Eloff View Post
..."Oh, and my Xmas pressie arrived today - 3 x 35mm fan housings from Shapeways, as designed by NitroCharged. Very impressed with the quality/finish/rigidity. Thanks Nitro! Have bought a few in-runners of varying KV too. Bring on the testing.

Jacques
Good stuff Jacques and good to hear they turned out well! My parcel arrived this morning too and all sorts of goodies were inside. The results did not let me down. I am very impressed. What I modelled is what I got.

I look forward to the tests you plan to do.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Dec 23, 2011, 07:21 AM
Joined Aug 2009
2,415 Posts
Well, I got mine...Kind of.

My mig 29 arrived last night from BH.

Since they didn't have a kit I ordered a PNP. My plan was to take out the stock ESC' and servos and go right into the 3S setup.

Guess what? They do have kits. That's what I got. Can't find it anywhere on their website. Now, if I can get them refund me the difference in price, whatever that may be, this will work out better than expected.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 08:50 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,970 Posts
what kind of a rig do you guys use to balance a 35mm (or smaller) fan?

My Mig-29 fans are pretty good. One or both of them might be slightly off since they have a small amount of that resonance thing at most throttle settings...but they seem to make plenty of power.
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Old Dec 23, 2011, 10:20 AM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,380 Posts
Hey, 19000rpm.

What exactly did you receive? Please, let us know how it all turns out.

g
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi
Old Dec 23, 2011, 01:02 PM
we can take off without that
London, UK
Joined Nov 2008
881 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGTX View Post
what kind of a rig do you guys use to balance a 35mm (or smaller) fan?

My Mig-29 fans are pretty good. One or both of them might be slightly off since they have a small amount of that resonance thing at most throttle settings...but they seem to make plenty of power.
I dont bother balancing the rotor separately any more. I used to do it for a 50mm fan, but soon realised static balancing is not that good, even after balancing the rotor the fan would still not be smooth enough.
So after reading The Don's expert method of dynamic balancing I came up with my own rougher method. I didnt want to spend money on balancing equipment.
I cut small squares of aluminium tape (you can use any tape, doesnt matter), stack them on top of each other.
Then I run the stock fan briefly to full throttle in my hand (you can also place it in the fuselage this will amplify the vibrations).
I try to remember how it sounded how much vibration I could feel.
I then stick the little stacked square of sticky tape onto the rotor, either between two blades or just in front of one blade. Mark the location with a marker pen. Spin the fan up again and feel/listen for vibration, if necessary take the tape off and spin again to feel the difference. Then move the little square of tape around to the foot of next blade until it vibrates less. Repeat until you find the spot where its smoother. Then add more tape squares to that location (or remove) for extra smoothness.
When done, add another 2 squares of tape to compensate for the next step, take the rotor off, and stick the tape square to the inside wall of the rotor so the centrifugal force pushes it more firmly on.

Another modeller had a much cooler method, if you have a i-phone with internal accelerometer, rest the i-phone against the fan then run it up (repeating steps above) and watch the vibration readout on the iphone.
green_flyer is offline Find More Posts by green_flyer
Last edited by green_flyer; Dec 23, 2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 04:05 PM
Joined Aug 2009
2,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by giuseppi View Post
Hey, 19000rpm.

What exactly did you receive? Please, let us know how it all turns out.

g
I got all the foam, canopy, hardware, including LG, and two fans and motors. That's what I would have ordered if they'd offered it. I couldn't find a kit on their website, so I chose the PNP.

I've notified them of the mistake. I asked them to credit my card for the difference. Probably won't hear from them until they complete their warehouse move after the first of the year.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 11:09 PM
Add Lightness
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Dec 2011
302 Posts
I got mine from BH a week ago. everything is there.
but the tape holding the servo wires in the slots by the fans were tiny little squares, and not holding the wires in, nor sticking to the foam. other than that and some curve to the rudders, wings and tail, it's fine.

Wifey saw it and said, "that's $100!?!?" <rollseyes> lol!
MNadMan is offline Find More Posts by MNadMan
Old Dec 23, 2011, 11:24 PM
Luck is my skill
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,219 Posts
My A-10 was supposed to arrive from BH today, our UPS driver is a moron, he has lost packages in the past and has claimed to have left them on our porch ... I have told UPS several times to NEVER LEAVE PACKAGES.

Well today I was prepared I took the day off and was waiting for the package ALL DAY only to have tracked it to find the Driver lied and said it was delivered and left on the front door ... no one came today, was playing computer games all day in our front room with my wife painting in the same room, all day. Was watching out the window biting my nails excited waiting for the UPS truck.

1ZX388V40398155927

Sucks cause I have to have BH file a claim, and I don't think they will be working tomorrow and probably not till the 28th. =(

Super frustraited I'm going to confront him and video tape it, what a lier ... im super frustraited and pissed ... damn I really wanted that dual EDF for Christmas.
queadlunnrau is offline Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
Old Dec 24, 2011, 08:02 AM
Joined Aug 2009
2,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by queadlunnrau View Post
My A-10 was supposed to arrive from BH today, our UPS driver is a moron, he has lost packages in the past and has claimed to have left them on our porch ... I have told UPS several times to NEVER LEAVE PACKAGES.

Well today I was prepared I took the day off and was waiting for the package ALL DAY only to have tracked it to find the Driver lied and said it was delivered and left on the front door ... no one came today, was playing computer games all day in our front room with my wife painting in the same room, all day. Was watching out the window biting my nails excited waiting for the UPS truck.

1ZX388V40398155927

Sucks cause I have to have BH file a claim, and I don't think they will be working tomorrow and probably not till the 28th. =(

Super frustraited I'm going to confront him and video tape it, what a lier ... im super frustraited and pissed ... damn I really wanted that dual EDF for Christmas.
Man that Sucks. Fortunately we have great UPS service here.

BTW, BH is virtually closed through the new year since they are moving the warehouse according to their website. That's probably going to back up response at least a week. Yuck. I feel your pain. Hang in there.