HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2011, 06:17 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,049 Posts
Added a few more flights to the F-86, really getting to like this plane.

Some things I've noticed - Although it flies fine at 3/4 throttle, rolls are crisper and faster at WOT. Also, loops are better bigger than small, the wing doesn't have any washout, and tip stalling makes it roll off the loop if you make it too tight. Also need to fly straight at WOT for a few seconds to have enough speed to make this work. Probably not an issue with 3s.

I'm landing much better now too. Before, I was flying down to the deck before pulling back to slow down, and I was flying into the ground. This was at a shallow angle, but I was still hitting pretty hard. I now realize that without any prop blast going over the elevator, it really becomes less effective at lower speeds, so I start pulling back the stick sooner. Now I'm getting a nice landing flare.

Next up - Immelmans and split 8s. That might have to wait until next year, it's getting cold here in Chicago.
Angelo is offline Find More Posts by Angelo
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2011, 07:56 PM
How close are those trees?
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,871 Posts
Mig-29 2S Lipos

After HK sold out of the Rhino 610MAH 2S lipos, I found some that look just as good (and reportedly a slightly higher C rating at Ok Hobby.

I've ordered a couple for my recently ordered Mig-29.

Cheers
Goody63 is offline Find More Posts by Goody63
Old Dec 02, 2011, 08:10 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,196 Posts
Buffalo lipo's outperform rhino's so you made the right choice.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Dec 03, 2011, 12:26 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Buffalo lipo's outperform rhino's so you made the right choice.
Have you written that report yet Nitro?
ozzi supercub is offline Find More Posts by ozzi supercub
Old Dec 03, 2011, 01:21 AM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
750 Posts
A-10 on 3S

I got some flights on my A-10 on 3s today. it's about as fast as my F/A 18 on 3s, but it has lots more thrust. I don't have to worry too much about flying slow and bailing out at the last minute. the controls are still responsive at low speeds.
I programmed spoilerons on it, but the landings were still pretty hot.
on the flip side, the mig 29 on 2s felt really slow in comparison.

I do wish the planes had a steerable nosewheel. My planes does not track straight on the ground and veers to one side. On 2s, i hit the grass before i got airborne. On 3s, it was able to get airborne very quickly.

I'll have some videos later or tomorrow.
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre
Old Dec 03, 2011, 04:05 AM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
750 Posts
A-10 on 3S video

Didn't get much footage, and on top of that, most of the footage was unusable.
Here's the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq24tZgtJIY
Old Dec 03, 2011, 05:22 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,196 Posts
I need someone to "double dare" me to ram an 850 3S G6 lipo into the Micro Hawk....

I was going to wire up 2 x 325mah and get 650 but that would only weigh 5 grams lighter than the 850.

It will take a bit of modding but I think it can be done and my guess is it should hit speeds in the 80's with this new 35mm fan unit I just finished...
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Dec 03, 2011, 06:23 AM
The stalling italian
France, RA, Lyon
Joined Jan 2011
296 Posts
Quote:
...it should hit speeds in the 80's with this new 35mm fan unit I just finished...
Dave, you are mean! What is this fan you just finished? A 40mm clipped? Something different and new?
I need to know more!!
gionir is offline Find More Posts by gionir
Old Dec 03, 2011, 06:32 AM
I don't want to land yet!
Joined Jan 2010
1,500 Posts
Quote:
I need someone to "double dare" me to ram an 850 3S G6 lipo into the Micro Hawk....

I was going to wire up 2 x 325mah and get 650 but that would only weigh 5 grams lighter than the 850.

It will take a bit of modding but I think it can be done and my guess is it should hit speeds in the 80's with this new 35mm fan unit I just finished...
You don't need to be dared.... it will happen, just like it did with the Mig15
Strike3 is offline Find More Posts by Strike3
Old Dec 03, 2011, 06:38 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,066 Posts
I dares ya!

I double dares ya!!
ozzi supercub is offline Find More Posts by ozzi supercub
Old Dec 03, 2011, 07:03 AM
trying to catch Mr. FrSky... It flyes
Joined Jan 2005
1,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketre View Post
I got some flights on my A-10 on 3s today. it's about as fast as my F/A 18 on 3s, but it has lots more thrust. I don't have to worry too much about flying slow and bailing out at the last minute. the controls are still responsive at low speeds.
I programmed spoilerons on it, but the landings were still pretty hot.
on the flip side, the mig 29 on 2s felt really slow in comparison.

I do wish the planes had a steerable nosewheel. My planes does not track straight on the ground and veers to one side. On 2s, i hit the grass before i got airborne. On 3s, it was able to get airborne very quickly.

I'll have some videos later or tomorrow.
3s with stock components???
splitpilot is offline Find More Posts by splitpilot
Old Dec 03, 2011, 07:16 AM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitpilot View Post
3s with stock components???
i have changed the ESC to the pentium 10A. I posted a buddy code of it a few pages back.
I think now I have to get a pair for the Mig.
Old Dec 03, 2011, 08:30 AM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,049 Posts
Quote:
the mig 29 on 2s felt really slow in comparison.
You've got to get that Mig on 3s, a Mig 29 slower than an A-10? That just ain't right!

Quote:
On 3s, it was able to get airborne very quickly.
No kidding! The acceleration on takeoff is pretty amazing.
Angelo is offline Find More Posts by Angelo
Old Dec 03, 2011, 10:03 AM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,371 Posts
Nitro,

I double dawg dare ya'

g
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi
Old Dec 03, 2011, 10:29 AM
United Kingdom, England, Cobham
Joined Oct 2007
541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaanesh View Post
The cheapest would be the Turnigy 1220 with the new 3-blade rotors that seem to come with the new models. These should be okay on 2S though won't be as powerful as the stock motors.

Alternatively, the GWS 40mm rotor trimmed down to 35mm would probably be okay too if modified to 3-blades. The beauty with these is that the new version can use proper 1.5mm adapters so you can re-use everything.

There's also the Turnigy 1230 which is only a 4500Kv motor (out of stock) but should be able to handle the GWS 40mm rotor with it's full 6-blades at 3S.

The Hyperion Y12L motors are fantastic motors for the money - though if you use these you're paying as much as what the stock J-Power motor would cost in the first place.

There is also the Feigao 12mm inrunners - the 1230 size ones will probably be the most durable or the 1240 could be used with...

Last, you could try one of the AEO 35mm rotors.
Thanks Slaanesh, very useful info there. I'm flying my Mig-15 on the stock motor/fan on 3S but looking to play around with some inrunner options. A few questions for you and any other of the gurus on this thread:

What sort of prop adaptor would I need for a GWS rotor? Would this set screw adaptor work?http://www.micronradiocontrol.co.uk/...mpropadapters_

If I were to try one of the AEO rotors, like the 8 blade in your link, how would that fit onto a 1.5mm shaft?

Jacques
Jacques.Eloff is offline Find More Posts by Jacques.Eloff