SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 29, 2011, 07:00 AM
Joined Sep 2010
285 Posts
Would it be possible to use three 160mah 1s lipos in series , the three would only weigh around 15grams rather than 45 - 50 grams for a single 3s . Even three 300mah single cells would come to under 20g .
Between 25 - 35c on this type of cell should just work , but the wieght saving is massive .
FANtastic is offline Find More Posts by FANtastic
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2011, 08:24 AM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,051 Posts
Putting those in series should work, but your voltage drop with only 160 ma will be severe, it might go LVC right away. If you did get in the air, it would probably be a 60 second flight - or less! You would probably also have CG issues.
Angelo is offline Find More Posts by Angelo
Old Nov 29, 2011, 09:22 AM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
749 Posts
my Turnigy 3S 500 mAh batteries and other parts from HK just arrived, 5 days after i bought it. That was quick.

I have fit them into both the Mig29 and the A10. No issues with CG or fitting it in. On the Mig, just a little foam removal is required inside the battery tray.
I have not changed to the 10A esc yet which wil add some weight aft, but I do not forsee a problem.

If time and weather permits, I'll grab some videos of the A-10 on 3S this weekend.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=9275
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre
Old Nov 29, 2011, 09:28 AM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,372 Posts
Hey, Dave.

What I gotta do to get one 'a yer special wound motors?

g

PS - don't fergit I'm a cheap bass tid!
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi
Old Nov 29, 2011, 09:32 AM
Joined Dec 2007
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketre View Post
my Turnigy 3S 500 mAh batteries and other parts from HK just arrived, 5 days after i bought it. That was quick.

I have fit them into both the Mig29 and the A10. No issues with CG or fitting it in. On the Mig, just a little foam removal is required inside the battery tray.
I have not changed to the 10A esc yet which wil add some weight aft, but I do not forsee a problem.

If time and weather permits, I'll grab some videos of the A-10 on 3S this weekend.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=9275
Which ESC are you using? Is there a 'plug and play' 10amp that everyone is using? Mainly need one that works with the micro receiver from HK.

Thanks for all the help and replies everyone!
sh996 is offline Find More Posts by sh996
Old Nov 29, 2011, 10:11 AM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh996 View Post
Which ESC are you using? Is there a 'plug and play' 10amp that everyone is using? Mainly need one that works with the micro receiver from HK.

Thanks for all the help and replies everyone!
I am using the Turnigy Plush 10A from HK.
It is not plug and play and requires some soldering. It does not come with the battery and motor plugs.
It also comes with the standard connector for receiver - may or may not be a good thing depending on what receiver you are using.
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre
Old Nov 29, 2011, 11:36 AM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,372 Posts
Quote:
Mainly need one that works with the micro receiver from HK.
Can you be more specific? Exactly which micro receiver?

g
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi
Old Nov 29, 2011, 11:57 AM
Joined Sep 2010
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo View Post
Putting those in series should work, but your voltage drop with only 160 ma will be severe, it might go LVC right away. If you did get in the air, it would probably be a 60 second flight - or less! You would probably also have CG issues.
Why would you see a severve voltage drop ? Yes 160mah would only give a short flight but it shouldn't need wot as it would be lots lighter . Perhaps three 300mah cells would be best ? The Hawk is nose heavy before you start so CG can be adapted to suit , ie move the fan unit to balance it if needed .
FANtastic is offline Find More Posts by FANtastic
Old Nov 29, 2011, 02:20 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FANtastic View Post
Why would you see a severe voltage drop ?
How many ma can definitely affect your batteries ability to hold voltage. I remember back in the day, I had a sailplane that used 7 Nicad "C" cells, I think they were 1600 ma. I tried some 500 ma batteries I had, thinking I would save weight, and it hit LVC about 5 seconds into the flight! After landing, it would start up again, but if I went to full throttle, it cut out all over again.

I have an A-6 that barely flies with the recommended 1200 ma battery, but flies great with a 1600, it has more power even tho they are both 3 cells and the same "C" rating. I really don't think 160 ma cells will work with these planes.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 02:24 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,051 Posts
Nitro, are you going to glue the fan hatch in your Hawk? With the fan unit moved back, that cut out in the fuse looks like a real weak point.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 02:42 PM
Luck is my skill
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,172 Posts
New Parts 4 Sale

I can confirm the nacelles are not included with the A-10 Fuze.

Selling both sets of spare parts I ordered. Thought I would offer them here first before I go to the classifieds. Who knows when they will be in stock again. These are brand new.

$23 for the A-10 parts shipped - Sold
$24 for the Mig-29 parts shipped - Sold

or both sets of spare parts for $45 shipped

CONUS (UPS with Tracking)

A-10 Twin 35mm EDF Micro Jet - Replacement Fuselage
A-10 Twin 35mm EDF Micro Jet - Replacement Main Wing
A-10 Twin 35mm EDF Micro Jet - Replacement Vertical Tail set
A-10 Twin 35mm EDF Micro Jet - Replacement Horizontal Tail
A-10 Twin 35mm EDF Micro Jet - Replacement Cockpit Canopy
MIG-29 twin 35mm EDF Micro Jet - Replacement Fuselage - Pending Sale
MIG-29 twin 35mm EDF Micro Jet - Replacement Main Wing set - Pending Sale
MIG-29 twin 35mm EDF Micro Jet - Replacement Vertical Tail Set - Pending Sale
MIG-29 twin 35mm EDF Micro Jet - Replacement Horizontal Tail Set - Pending Sale
MIG-29 twin 35mm EDF Micro Jet - Replacement Cockpit Canopy - Pending Sale
queadlunnrau is offline Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
Last edited by queadlunnrau; Dec 07, 2011 at 04:10 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 03:15 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by giuseppi View Post
Hey, Dave.

What I gotta do to get one 'a yer special wound motors?

g

PS - don't fergit I'm a cheap bass tid!
Lemme seee what I can do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo View Post
Nitro, are you going to glue the fan hatch in your Hawk? With the fan unit moved back, that cut out in the fuse looks like a real weak point.
It does, doesn't it! If anything, I'd put a couple of CF rods into it so I can still mess with the power system.

Strik3: A white 'parts only' Hawk would be great as I have all the parts from the Mig sitting here.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Nov 29, 2011, 03:36 PM
United States, MI, Royal Oak
Joined Nov 2005
1,356 Posts
queadlunnarau.....pm sent, ill take the mig parts
JGuilty13 is offline Find More Posts by JGuilty13
Last edited by JGuilty13; Nov 29, 2011 at 03:42 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 03:52 PM
Joined Dec 2007
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by giuseppi View Post
Can you be more specific? Exactly which micro receiver?

g
Sorry for not specifying, thought it would be fairly obvious since it's the one HK recommends for use with these micro jets.

I'm using the OrangeRx R415 micro receiver from HK.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Receiver_.html
sh996 is offline Find More Posts by sh996
Old Nov 29, 2011, 04:03 PM
New Zealand
Joined Aug 2006
34 Posts
First flights

Man, what a rush, just flew the F-86 and BAe hawk. Never having flown EDF before and launching solo for a maiden there was a bit to be learned. Coming from a Hyperion Sniper I was quick to learn that you need a lot more air flowing over those tiny surfaces before movement will do anything. I also learnt that any slop in the movement makes for tricky control. I also learnt my depth perception isn't quite accurate for these! And to top it off, I need to adjust my bank and yank technique for slope vs EDF.

F86 was great until I flew into into a hill. Walked up to find it in one piece so just launched it back off. Was preparing for a landing when the battery gave up and it turned into the ground from 30m...

BAe Hawk felt like it was torque rolling into the ground for the first three launches. It just turned on its back and dove straight in. Wound in some right aileron and got it in the air and finally trimmed. Decided I needed landing practice but didn't quite expect how long these things shoot on without power. Missed the long grass and of course found the hard dry tire tracks which scapped the bottom up a bit.

Nerves shot, I left the F18 in the car.

Here's the damage, which steamed out of both leaving the F86 looking a little reptilian but otherwise straight.

Damn the F86 looked amazing cutting a shadow against the hill!
toxaq is offline Find More Posts by toxaq