SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 27, 2011, 09:15 AM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,371 Posts
pdawg,

Did the nip/tuck on the F-16 inlet duct have any negative effect on flight characteristics?

g
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2011, 01:00 PM
United Kingdom, England, Cobham
Joined Oct 2007
541 Posts
KP 32 EDF Unit

Has anyone tried the KP 32mm EDF unit in one of these?

Any thoughts on whether it will work/fit?

Link to a UK supplier's site (see about 2/3 of the way down on this page):
http://www.samsmodels.com/acatalog/S...ric.html#a2399

I've just ordered one!

Jacques
Jacques.Eloff is offline Find More Posts by Jacques.Eloff
Old Nov 27, 2011, 02:14 PM
Current project: Electrolyte
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by giuseppi View Post
pdawg,

Did the nip/tuck on the F-16 inlet duct have any negative effect on flight characteristics?

g
Haven't flown her yet but to be honest the stock intake was so large that i couldn't look at the airframe without feeling sick. They are extremely generous with the intakes volumes beyond the point of functional imo. Having made the F-16 plastic surgery, I now feel much better though . With 3s I am not really worried about the low speed range such as the launch.
pdawg is offline Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Nov 27, 2011, 03:16 PM
Joined Nov 2007
233 Posts
Every A-10 I've flown responds very well to "spoilerons". it will slow it up and pitch the nose up a bit if that's what you were looking to do. not sure if your radio/rx allows for it. but makes them floaty float.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketre View Post
I maidened my A-10 this morning. Had 5 packs on it and another 5 packs on the Mig29. With the Rhino 2s 610mah batteries, I had to stuff 10g in the nose of the A10 to get the correct CG. The batteries were sitting tall on its side, and had to sit behind the bump from the front landing gear. Otherwise, the canopy will not fit. Look for battery of a different shape if you do not want to add dead weight.

the A-10 was quite twitchy on the ailerons and was not able to fly as slow as the Mig. However, the top speed was faster than the Mig.

It also did not flare as well as the Mig. On the Mig, holding up elevator and giving bursts of throttle would take it into high alpha and scrub off speed. You can see this form my videos. Doing that on the A10 would make little difference on the attitude. only the speed will increase with the blips of throttle. I am already on the innermost hole on the elevator link. I had expected more elevator authority since the fans are blowing over them.

With regards to stability, the Mig 29 beats it hands down. While the A-10 wings gets rocked by crosswinds (although not as much as my F18 and F86), the Mig29 flew like a bigger plane. I was comfortable doing low circuits 1 feet to 3 feet off the deck with the Mig29.

Hand launching the A-10 would torque it to the left. I need to correct the wings and try it again. one side had more dihedral than the other.

If you are thinking of only getting one plane from this series, I recommend one of the twins. They just handle the wind better. But then, who ever stops at 1?
flyingcircuits is offline Find More Posts by flyingcircuits
Old Nov 27, 2011, 05:50 PM
Gravity sucks.
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Mar 2011
562 Posts
well, i got out and flew my duct-modified 35mm T-45 on the weekend - just a few circuts, using a 360mah 20c 2s, and after the frustration of countless failed launches, this time, it flew. - i was amazed - and predictably, it flew just like it's bigger brother t-45's.
m_ark is offline Find More Posts by m_ark
Old Nov 27, 2011, 05:55 PM
I AM SOFA KING WE TODD DID
Iceland, Westfjords, safjrur
Joined Mar 2011
1,101 Posts
OrangeRx R415

Anyone have any luck with these Hobby King receivers?

I built my F86 today and tried 2 of the RX's with terrible results. Got em to bind and then they would lose signal. I would have to rebind every time I disconnect the battery. Using a DX6i.

Anyone have any ideas?

After I would get them bound to the Tx, remove the bind plug, and then try to get them inside the fuselage, they brown out.

I tried everything I know except for putting them in another model. Maybe a bad plug on the esc? Thanks for any ideas.
wavekatcher is offline Find More Posts by wavekatcher
Old Nov 27, 2011, 06:34 PM
Gravity sucks.
Joined Mar 2011
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavekatcher View Post

I built my F86 today and tried 2 of the RX's with terrible results. Got em to bind and then they would lose signal. I would have to rebind every time I disconnect the battery. Using a DX6i.

Anyone have any ideas?

After I would get them bound to the Tx, remove the bind plug, and then try to get them inside the fuselage, they brown out.

I tried everything I know except for putting them in another model. Maybe a bad plug on the esc? Thanks for any ideas.
i have a little RX in mine - the end where the connectors are soldered into the board is bare - no covering and because i'm sliding mine down beside the bare metal elevator pushrods in the front, i've noticed i have to be carefull with getting it in there or the metal pushrod will shortout the connectors pins. which would result in a brownout or.... ?
Old Nov 27, 2011, 06:37 PM
Gravity sucks.
Joined Mar 2011
562 Posts
oh - i'm using a dx8 and have had no problems.
that's all i can think of!
Old Nov 27, 2011, 07:08 PM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcircuits View Post
Every A-10 I've flown responds very well to "spoilerons". it will slow it up and pitch the nose up a bit if that's what you were looking to do. not sure if your radio/rx allows for it. but makes them floaty float.
Thanks, I'm playing with that thought, but I have to solder a molex to normal servo plugs to make that possible.
I'm sticking with the 6 channel caseless Tx as I plan to move my tiny brite lights warbird lights to the A-10. The 6 strobing gun lights will then be activated by the radio. I have not figured out which channel to plug in to. on the parkzone UMX, it responded to the 3 way flaps switch on the DX8 - All Lights Off, Nav Lights on, Nav Lights with Gun Lights.

I hope to have both the lights and the spoilerons working.
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre
Old Nov 27, 2011, 07:37 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_ark View Post
i have a little RX in mine - the end where the connectors are soldered into the board is bare - no covering and because i'm sliding mine down beside the bare metal elevator pushrods in the front, i've noticed i have to be carefull with getting it in there or the metal pushrod will shortout the connectors pins. which would result in a brownout or.... ?
Could my bare skin cause the short? maybe thats whats going on. the back side of these rx's have bare circuits.

I like the saying "good parts aren't cheap and cheap parts aren't good". I'm used to spektrum rx's...bind once and no problemo.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 08:50 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavekatcher View Post

I have 5 flights on my F-86 with the micro Orange receiver, no problems with My DX6i. So far, I really like this receiver!

I have the receiver back facing up or side ways, so the bare part of it isn't touching any metal.
Angelo is offline Find More Posts by Angelo
Old Nov 27, 2011, 10:12 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Just a thought. If you bind the RX do not unplug and re-plug in components, especially the ESC. The original Spectrum DSM2 RX's lost bind if th ESC was unplugged. You did mention that you did the binding outside the plane, and then installed the RX, so just checking, do you leave everything plugged in after binding? The HK RX may do the same thing. I've been using several orange RX's and they have been working great (DX7).
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Nov 27, 2011, 10:59 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie B View Post
Just a thought. If you bind the RX do not unplug and re-plug in components, especially the ESC. The original Spectrum DSM2 RX's lost bind if th ESC was unplugged. You did mention that you did the binding outside the plane, and then installed the RX, so just checking, do you leave everything plugged in after binding? The HK RX may do the same thing. I've been using several orange RX's and they have been working great (DX7).
Yep, Leaving everything plugged in. I think I have a bad esc in the F86. I setup my new F16 with one of these rx's and it works fine. I did put some tape over the exposed circuits underneath the rx so the bare contacts don't short out on any sweaty fingers.

Now I need to figure out the elevons w/ the DX6i for the F16 . Ive got everything running good, except pull back on the right stick and I get down elevons?? I tried to reverse the servos, no luck. Maybe they mismarked the wires???
Old Nov 28, 2011, 12:19 AM
New Zealand
Joined Aug 2006
34 Posts
Just bought 3 of these. F86, BAe Hawk and F18. Got a bunch of 3s 370 mAh and the orangeRx's. No trouble binding against my DX7i. Haven't range tested yet as I've been busy replacing the speed controllers with the Turnigy 10 Amp plush for each. Only the F18 didn't need any mods to fit the batteries and so far everything has balanced out well. F86 is the tightest fit, hoping the foam holds up...

Can't wait to fly these things!
toxaq is offline Find More Posts by toxaq
Old Nov 28, 2011, 01:12 AM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcircuits View Post
Have you tried flaperons? Does flaperons increases tip stalls?
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre