pilotrcuk is offline Find More Posts by pilotrcuk
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2011, 07:21 AM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajora View Post
Funny you mention that ... I was told a day or so ago that I should have one more cool thing to show from Big J by years end ... GA ... twin.
Oh my!!! Prop or EDF..are you not allowed to say at the moment?

With the trend going towards owning 20...50...100+ planes, Jalin and his mini/micro are just the ticket for easier storage.
dude_109 is offline Find More Posts by dude_109
Last edited by dude_109; Nov 29, 2011 at 08:49 AM. Reason: not ESC but EDF...darn smart phone auto-complete...
Old Nov 26, 2011, 07:37 AM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strike3 View Post
Anything more than 2 EDF's in this size is gonna be too much... only my opinion but if you had 6 or 8 then you need more ESC's as well and at this size the extra weight is a factor plus you would need more mAh (bigger batts) otherwise the flights will be barely worth the effort...
Yes, weight goes up, but so does the power. Bigger planes are more aerodynamically efficient, so you would benefit from that. I still think this would work. But the price on individual fan/motor units would have to come down to make it viable.
Angelo is offline Find More Posts by Angelo
Old Nov 26, 2011, 06:18 PM
we can take off without that
London, UK
Joined Nov 2008
785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajora View Post
I agree ... I would LOVE me some General Aviation models from Jalin

Funny you mention that ... I was told a day or so ago that I should have one more cool thing to show from Big J by years end ... GA ... twin.
Wow !!
he read my mind, I cant wait to see what it is
green_flyer is offline Find More Posts by green_flyer
Old Nov 26, 2011, 07:03 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_109 View Post
Oh my!!! Prop or ESC..are you not allowed to say at the moment?

With the trend going towards owning 20...50...100+ planes, Jalin and his mini/micro are just the ticket for easier storage.
Prop ... two of them. I am not sure but I do not think this one will be in the mini or nano size either. Something a little bigger?
Bajora is offline Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2011, 09:51 PM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
750 Posts
A10 vs Mig29

I maidened my A-10 this morning. Had 5 packs on it and another 5 packs on the Mig29. With the Rhino 2s 610mah batteries, I had to stuff 10g in the nose of the A10 to get the correct CG. The batteries were sitting tall on its side, and had to sit behind the bump from the front landing gear. Otherwise, the canopy will not fit. Look for battery of a different shape if you do not want to add dead weight.

the A-10 was quite twitchy on the ailerons and was not able to fly as slow as the Mig. However, the top speed was faster than the Mig.

It also did not flare as well as the Mig. On the Mig, holding up elevator and giving bursts of throttle would take it into high alpha and scrub off speed. You can see this form my videos. Doing that on the A10 would make little difference on the attitude. only the speed will increase with the blips of throttle. I am already on the innermost hole on the elevator link. I had expected more elevator authority since the fans are blowing over them.

With regards to stability, the Mig 29 beats it hands down. While the A-10 wings gets rocked by crosswinds (although not as much as my F18 and F86), the Mig29 flew like a bigger plane. I was comfortable doing low circuits 1 feet to 3 feet off the deck with the Mig29.

Hand launching the A-10 would torque it to the left. I need to correct the wings and try it again. one side had more dihedral than the other.

If you are thinking of only getting one plane from this series, I recommend one of the twins. They just handle the wind better. But then, who ever stops at 1?
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre
Old Nov 26, 2011, 10:42 PM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketre View Post

If you are thinking of only getting one plane from this series, I recommend one of the twins. They just handle the wind better. But then, who ever stops at 1?
Good point. After maidening my Mig-15 this morning I can see why you'd want to have several of these little beautys in the car. Thanks for that review. I'm assuming that miketre79 is your Youtube username. Watched your videos with great interest. Would it be possible for you to take some pics of the Mig-29 battery tray and show how the electronics are set out and how much room there is. I have 2 kits on the way and am thinking of fitting twin 40mm fans.
ozzi supercub is offline Find More Posts by ozzi supercub
Old Nov 27, 2011, 02:47 AM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzi supercub View Post
Good point. After maidening my Mig-15 this morning I can see why you'd want to have several of these little beautys in the car. Thanks for that review. I'm assuming that miketre79 is your Youtube username. Watched your videos with great interest. Would it be possible for you to take some pics of the Mig-29 battery tray and show how the electronics are set out and how much room there is. I have 2 kits on the way and am thinking of fitting twin 40mm fans.
Yes, that is my youtube username.

Here's the photos of the battery trays of the Mig29 and the A10. The battery sits on its side on both planes.

There is a lot of space in the battery tray of the Mig29 - both forward and aft of the battery. You shouldn't have any problems fitting your stuff and getting the right CG.
The receiver is on the right of the photo, at the back of the battery tray.
The ESC are in the stock position, which are between the nacelles. They are easy to access.

There's quite a fair bit of space on the A10 too, but my batteries needed to be all the way forward, with 10g of dead weight.
The 6 channel HK receiver was sitting beside the battery. I can't move it forward anymore due to the bump that houses the front landing gear mount.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 02:49 AM
we can take off without that
London, UK
Joined Nov 2008
785 Posts
I was wondering does the A10 have 4 magnet points (8 magnets) holding each engine nacelle? I'm hopng its 8 magnets per side as that would mean a 14g weight reduction by removing them.
green_flyer is offline Find More Posts by green_flyer
Old Nov 27, 2011, 03:05 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,066 Posts
Thanks for the pics miketre. Looks like there is heaps of room in the Mig29. Cant wait to get it now.
ozzi supercub is offline Find More Posts by ozzi supercub
Old Nov 27, 2011, 04:26 AM
How close are those trees?
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,871 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the review Mike.

I was tossing up between the A10 and the Mig-29 but that does it.

I'm ordering the Mig-29 tonight!!!

I'm going to order a couple of the Rhino 610 2S lips as well.

I've got a few 800 2S lips already. What's the chances the Mig-29 might be able to handle the larger lips??
Goody63 is offline Find More Posts by Goody63
Old Nov 27, 2011, 04:29 AM
Sweden, Gävleborg County
Joined Jan 2004
851 Posts
Has anybody made any current draw tests with 5 vs 3 bladed rotor on 3 cells? I am thinking 3 cells/3 blades with CC P10 ESC on the MIG 29, once i get it.
MagnusEl is offline Find More Posts by MagnusEl
Old Nov 27, 2011, 06:31 AM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goody63 View Post
Thanks for the review Mike.

I've got a few 800 2S lips already. What's the chances the Mig-29 might be able to handle the larger lips??
The rhino 610 2s weigh 35g. After shooting my videos, I have reinforced the nose of the mig with fiberglass cloth and CA. It puts on some weight from this and now does not flare as well, so catching the plane is difficult now. I do feel that it is more stable now. A bit of weight makes a big difference.
I estimate that my repairs and reinforcements added about 5g.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 06:35 AM
How close are those trees?
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,871 Posts
Quote:
The rhino 610 2s weigh 35g. After shooting my videos, I have reinforced the nose of the mig with fiberglass cloth and CA. It puts on some weight from this and now does not flare as well, so catching the plane is difficult now. I do feel that it is more stable now. A bit of weight makes a big difference.
I estimate that my repairs and reinforcements added about 5g.
Thanks Mike
Goody63 is offline Find More Posts by Goody63
Old Nov 27, 2011, 08:18 AM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
750 Posts
Goody, you are most welcomed.

Green flyer, I ran a small screwdriver around the nacelles of the A-10 and there doesn't seem to be any magnets there. I can see some glue from the gap.
The thing is, I bought the A-10 from a shop display, and it wasn't assembled by me, so I can't be sure how it is out of the box.