Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 24, 2011, 06:37 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaanesh View Post
I was wondering about that myself.

However if the specs are to be believed, it's a nasty fan.
Lots of thrust but look at the amps!
To run a twin, you'd need a hefty battery. Which means hefty weight.

But that's if the data is right.

In other news, you can now get the AEORC EDFs from eBay and they are cheaper than anywhere else including HK (price war these if you've just bought one) ... and shipping for free.

It's tempting to buy one to try it out and finally get some user data on it.
Thanks for the link. Just order 1 for check

I'm going to try it for my F-18, and eventually I may order the MIG29 ... but I should not buy it

Tchuss

e_lm_70
e_lm_70 is online now Find More Posts by e_lm_70
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2011, 07:25 AM
we can take off without that
London, UK
Joined Nov 2008
779 Posts
wow the Mig (parts) went so quick, it was so fast I didnt even see it just left a trail of
backorder...backorder...backorder... behind it.
Managed to get one A-10 instead, I'm going to try it with AEO 27mm fans, hopefully get the weight down and chop those big engines.
I'm thinking maybe that little C05M motor would be good in a AEO35mm cut down to 4 blades or GWS rotor? I'll give that a try too.

Also tried some of those orange 1.85g servos

*edit* - oops!! major mistake, I didnt order the nacelles!! I cant see them anywhere, hope they come with the fuse.
green_flyer is offline Find More Posts by green_flyer
Last edited by green_flyer; Nov 24, 2011 at 07:34 AM.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 09:39 AM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,049 Posts
After several windy days, got my 3rd, 4th and 5th flights yesterday on the F-86. Last flight was the best yet, I'm starting to get dialed in to it's flight characteristics. Besides loops and rolls, high speed passes on the deck are fun and look great. I removed the hatch magnets, which allowed me to also remove some of the nose weight, so the AUW is now 97.6 grams, less than 3 1/2 oz.

I don't fly with the drop tanks, but want to use them for display. Stock, they are way off shape, too blunt, so I started sanding down the nose and tail to a more scale shape. I cut off the thick tail fins, and will replace them with thin plastic. Also noticed that on the actual F-86, the drop tanks are angled down a bit, so I'm also changing the pylon.
Angelo is offline Find More Posts by Angelo
Old Nov 24, 2011, 11:27 AM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,371 Posts
Quote:
oops!! major mistake, I didnt order the nacelles!! I cant see them anywhere, hope they come with the fuse.
In my experience with HK, if it ain't in the picture it ain't included.

g
giuseppi is online now Find More Posts by giuseppi
Old Nov 24, 2011, 11:33 AM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,049 Posts
Glassing the Sabre nose

One problem the F-86 has is the vulnerability of the nose inlet on landing. The foam, especially on the bottom, is pretty thin, and even with that skid in front of the aileron servo, the nose can hit the ground. I tore the lip a couple of times before reinforcing it with fibreglass. I originally was going to do the whole nose, but for now, I just have a strip that runs from inside the inlet, over the lip, and onto the bottom. Working well so far.

I also drilled out the gun ports, put some black paint in them, then mixed up some black with my silver paint to replicate the darker tones in the gun panel.
Angelo is offline Find More Posts by Angelo
Last edited by Angelo; Nov 24, 2011 at 06:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Nov 24, 2011, 12:19 PM
Luck is my skill
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
Nitro would the AEO-RC 35 with ADH100 11000KV motor work in these do you think?

John
I have the AEO 35mm EDF and 11000kv in my second F-18, I'm running it with a 25a detrum ESC with smaller wires throughout, got the weight down to 12g for the ESC and an AUW of 130.5g with 450mAh 2s.

I can confirm in my F-18 I'm getting about 100g of thrust with this and my esc gets only 98Deg F with heatsink/spreader removed.

I've yet to maiden her though.

Oh and don't try this setup on 3s, I tried it and my motor got over 130Deg F in seconds and started smelling funny.
queadlunnrau is offline Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
Old Nov 24, 2011, 02:49 PM
Check your six
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2002
1,240 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you Jet Jocks! Marty
martys is offline Find More Posts by martys
Old Nov 24, 2011, 03:15 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
Nitro would the AEO-RC 35 with ADH100 11000KV motor work in these do you think?

John
As others pointed out, this is one mean amp hungry, ESC smoking setup. If it were me - I'd reduce the load by cutting 4 blades off and also remove 6 of the magnets so smaller ESC's can overcome the back emf and start it up.

I was just looking at mine last night and was thinking of doing this exact thing.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Nov 24, 2011, 04:23 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,306 Posts
Thanks. This is something I don't know much about. Does this mean the once they were running the smaller ESC's are OK. I have always thought of back EMF as rising as speed goes up - That's why motors stabilise at a certain rpm even when unloaded. The back EMF is the voltage produced by the spinning motor acting as a generator but brushless controllers add a whole new element. Am I confused here? Happens a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
As others pointed out, this is one mean amp hungry, ESC smoking setup. If it were me - I'd reduce the load by cutting 4 blades off and also remove 6 of the magnets so smaller ESC's can overcome the back emf and start it up.

I was just looking at mine last night and was thinking of doing this exact thing.
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Nov 24, 2011, 04:26 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,371 Posts
NC,

Without you having to delve too deeply into motor rebuilding theory, when you suggest the removal of six of the magnets, does it entail the removal of all the magnets and regluing the six N-S-N-S-N-S?

g
giuseppi is online now Find More Posts by giuseppi
Old Nov 24, 2011, 04:52 PM
Let's get low, let's get fast.
USA, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Dec 2009
311 Posts
Gentlemen,

If you happen to have the Red Arrow Hawk, and feel like parting with it, please PM me. I had an unfortunate encounter with a tree this afternoon that turned mine into a cloud of bright red confetti.....
kilgore_trout is offline Find More Posts by kilgore_trout
Old Nov 24, 2011, 04:57 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,196 Posts
JJ, the cogging you feel is what needs to be overcome on startup. It sucks a heck of a lot of amps to do it.

giuseppi, by removing every other/second magnet, regardless of where you start, will leave the correct magnets still in place. So, remove one, leave one, remove one, leave one as you work your way around the bell. By heating the outside of the bell just enough to soften the epoxy - without damaging the magnets, will allow you to flick out the magnet - just enough to break the bond - then you can remove them once done.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 04:58 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzi supercub View Post
Nitro- you bloody legend. Thanks but.......$28 each
Hmmm, may have to rethink this.
What have you got lying around?
Old Nov 24, 2011, 05:55 PM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
What have you got lying around?
I will wait until the kits arrive and see if I can fit twin 40's. Surely there cant be too much difference and there seems to be more options in the 40mm size.
Its ridiculous that HK dont sell the complete EDF unit.
ozzi supercub is offline Find More Posts by ozzi supercub
Old Nov 24, 2011, 07:02 PM
Soggy Scotland
Central Scotland
Joined Jun 2004
837 Posts
Was very tempted to (back)order a kit of parts for the Mig29...but pulled the trigger on the full kit Wish HK would stop releasing so much cool stuff at the moment, it's costing me a fortune...

Very interested to catch up on what's good and what's not in the 35mm class, methinks I have some reading to do!!
pilotrcuk is offline Find More Posts by pilotrcuk