SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 21, 2011, 03:13 PM
easily confused
Nashville Metro, Tennessee, United States
Joined Sep 2003
2,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketre View Post
the 2nd and 3rd planes appeared to be shot from a head mounted cam. Which camera did you use for that?
It seems to be good quality video, I'd need to see it again but my instinct is it's a GoPro...good question and I'll be interested to hear the answer myself.
mu2freighter is offline Find More Posts by mu2freighter
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2011, 04:38 PM
we can take off without that
London, UK
Joined Nov 2008
898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Here's my first flight of the 35mm Hawk after reducing the intakes, giving the tails anhedral and removing the negative incidence PLUS flying in 15 knot winds gusting to around 23!!

That is excellent Nitro!
I'm convinced, as soon as I can get hold of an airframe those intakes are getting chopped!
green_flyer is offline Find More Posts by green_flyer
Old Nov 21, 2011, 05:31 PM
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Joined May 2009
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
CC ESC's work great in these. soft start, no brake, medium timing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzMan2001 View Post
I've got a phoenix 10 here which cuts out at low RPM almost instantly and if you move up higher it fails and the blinks indicate over current. I'll try those settings see what happens
Have tried these settings, on soft cut it starts pulsing over 50% throttle, but not always sometime it will run a bit faster but still pulse.

Setup fixed point throttle to eliminate auto calibrate issues.

Using a 1300mAh 30C for testing in order to make sure it can supply enough power.

Still it cuts out an complains with 3 beeps over current :/ Also tried the 3 blade fan that come with the hawk.

I have got another phoenix 10 to use in the hawk so I'm going to try that next make sure it's not the ESC that's faulty.

At this rate I'm going to put the standard one back in and fly the F86 on 2s!
JazzMan2001 is offline Find More Posts by JazzMan2001
Old Nov 21, 2011, 06:44 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
How many cells is it set for?

FANtstic, it was hard to tell with so much wind about. I'll fly it again with the CG further back and see how it goes in calm weather. If it seems slower, then the little motor hasn't the torque for the intake size and I'll up the motor size to see what happens..
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Nov 21, 2011, 06:50 PM
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Joined May 2009
166 Posts
Was set to auto lipo.

After getting frustrated with it I tried the other one with the same result. Also pulled the motor/fan out the hawk to test that with the same result.

I had one of these knocking about for another project:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ontroller.html

And it seems to run just fine off that, doesn't get hot either.

I could try forcing the castle to 9V / 3S - that's something I've not tried.
JazzMan2001 is offline Find More Posts by JazzMan2001
Old Nov 22, 2011, 05:37 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,074 Posts
Anyone flown the little F-18 yet? I've always had a soft spot for the Blue Angels F-18.
ozzi supercub is offline Find More Posts by ozzi supercub
Old Nov 22, 2011, 11:37 AM
Luck is my skill
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzi supercub View Post
Anyone flown the little F-18 yet? I've always had a soft spot for the Blue Angels F-18.
I have.

It flies GREAT and floats really nice when the throttle is cut. I had it out on a 12a esc with a 3s 370mAh.

Though my first one had a bad servo which cause a crash, so waiting on some 2g servos coming in this week. I have 5g servos in it now, but it's flying like crap with those (I think its cause they stick out too much disrupting the flow of air to the elevators.

I have two, just finished painting my second one, I'm running the 35mm AEO 8 fan plus motor on 2s on that one, thrust is 100g on 2s!!! (Tried it on 3s but the motor started smelling funny.

Waiting for Washington state to calm down the rain and wind, as well as the 2g servos for my second F-18's maiden. I will have a camera person for that one.

Here was my original maiden report

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1497
queadlunnrau is offline Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
Last edited by queadlunnrau; Nov 22, 2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 03:29 PM
Gravity sucks.
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Mar 2011
564 Posts
i recently calculated my 'not a perfect semi-circle' T-45 intakes work out to 80% FSA (32mm dia) - so i made a thrust tube 27.5mm diameter. But havent tested it yet...
Does anyone have any thoughts on intakes smaller than FSA?
m_ark is offline Find More Posts by m_ark
Old Nov 22, 2011, 04:15 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,385 Posts
What I've read about inlet ducting - Never less than 100% FSA and 130% FSA is optimal. Less than 100% FSA and cheater holes become a requirement.

Outlet ( thrust tube ) nominally 85% FSA.

But I'm no authority. Hopefully, one of the Gurus will weigh in soon.

g
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi
Old Nov 22, 2011, 04:25 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
The motors not strong enough for small FSA intakes m_ark...

Last night I moved the fan unit back so the front of the flange was flush with the rear of the access hatch. That should take care of the nose heavy situation I now have. I had to redo a shorter exit tube and used a big soldering iron to carefully melt out the walls to fit the fan unit by entering via the exhaust hole and brushing the walls up front while not touching anything else. Also melted the wire recess back another 2" for the wiring.It seemed easier than cutting foam and moving a servo up front just to move the lipo back more.

I'll know when I have the real CG when I can fly inverted without it diving into the deck....
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Nov 23, 2011, 03:14 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
8,069 Posts
Just an update on my F-18 build from parts ...

I was ordering the EDF replacement unit ... and I was hoping it could be fit with the motor: Turnigy 1220 Brushless Inrunner Motor 10300kv

Yesterday I got the motor. And for 1mm, the motor is too wide and it will not fit inside ...

So ... I'm going to hack a mount on the EDF replacement, I will post later if I will have success on it.

About 35mm EDF, so far I still have to complete to replace the servo connectors on my T-45 PNF, I'm moving slowly ... too many concurrent stuffs going on

Tchuss

e_lm_70
e_lm_70 is offline Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Nov 23, 2011, 08:11 PM
I AM SOFA KING WE TODD DID
United States, CA, Ben Lomond
Joined Mar 2011
1,133 Posts
I'm late to the party

My 2 new nano jets arrived from HK unscathed for the most part. PNP- F16 and F86.

F16 had some box damage but luckily no contents damage. F86 looks good too, EXCEPT....no darn pushrods for the ailerons and no hardware to connect elevator pushrods or ailerons pushrods. Do these jets have"NEW WEIGHTLESS INVISIBLE" pushrods and hardware?

I've read through the 1000+ pages of this thread and seem to remember other options for pushrods, ANYONE have any suggestions? Thanks, Wavekatcher
wavekatcher is offline Find More Posts by wavekatcher
Old Nov 23, 2011, 09:19 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,081 Posts
I thought the same thing, that the pushrods were missing, but they are in a plastic bag taped to the side of one of the pockets in the foam case.

I ended up replacing those pushrods with thicker wire that fit the servo arm holes better, but you still need the original ones as a template to bend the new ones.
Angelo is offline Find More Posts by Angelo
Old Nov 23, 2011, 09:31 PM
I AM SOFA KING WE TODD DID
United States, CA, Ben Lomond
Joined Mar 2011
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo View Post
I thought the same thing, that the pushrods were missing, but they are in a plastic bag taped to the side of one of the pockets in the foam case.

I ended up replacing those pushrods with thicker wire that fit the servo arm holes better, but you still need the original ones as a template to bend the new ones.
Eureka!! Thanks Angelo! You were right...exactly where you said. Just looked like tape on the side of the box, and the receivers I bought were over top of them too. If they were a snake I would have gotten bit. Maybe I need to get my eyes checked
wavekatcher is offline Find More Posts by wavekatcher
Old Nov 23, 2011, 09:35 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavekatcher View Post
Eureka!! Thanks Angelo! You were right...exactly where you said. Just looked like tape on the side of the box, and the receivers I bought were over top of them too. If they were a snake I would have gotten bit. Maybe I need to get my eyes checked

Or get yourself a snake bite kit.
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi