HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 05, 2011, 08:18 PM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
749 Posts
F/A 18 maiden flight report

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketre View Post
My F/A 18 fuselage from Hobbyking arrived dented although the box was fine. It sucks, but I'm not going to bother with their 'support'. The last time my batteries came with male instead of female XT60 plugs, they told me that the plugs are free gifts and as such, are not exchangeable.
ok, rant over.

So I decided to straighten the thing and put fiberglass cloth over it for reinforcements since it no longer looks new. That turns out to be a good thing as you will see from my video later.
My video of the F/A 18 maiden is currently uploading and should be up in a few hours. Since, it is midnight in this part of the world, I'll be posting the link to the video many hours later.
The F/A 18 flies similarly to the Sabre - there's a lot of wing rocking in the wind. Coupled with the poor visibility of my decal-less plane, it was quite a challenge trying to maintain orientation in the sky.

I thought that maybe the wind is too strong and took out my Mig 29, but the Mig 29 flew stable without the wings rocking.

The Mig 29 was a great buy. The F/A 18, was not a bad buy for the price. The parts are cheap. I'm waiting for HK to list the decals that they mentioned in their videos a couple of weeks back.
I'll respray the whole plane too. Not a fan of dark colours.

Here's the video and flight report. It's pretty easy to see in the video because of the zooming in of the camera. In real life, that tiny thing zooming about is difficult to see.

Skyangel / Jpower 35mm F18 35mm maiden (with crashes, high speed passes) (4 min 7 sec)

Now we've seen everything except for the A10
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2011, 08:43 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,644 Posts
Quote:
Now we've seen everything except for the A10
Well, you HAVE seen it ... you just have not seen it fly yet!
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2011, 09:14 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,372 Posts
Thanks, cvlex.

g
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi
Old Nov 05, 2011, 11:25 PM
The stalling italian
France, RA, Lyon
Joined Jan 2011
297 Posts
Hi all,
I am back in business and, being tired of ripping the ailerons off my lil Sabre, I decided to go for a mod that it's a bit tricky but worth gold:

I reversed the aileron servo upside down so that the horns are on the top side now.

I went and tried the mod this morning and I have to say I had a glorious session, where I used both my 2S packs on the Sabre and both my 3S packs on the MiG. I have to say that I didn't remember the Sabre to be that fast stock.

Maybe the mod cleared lots of drag?

The Mig is outstanding, really really fast on 3S and I am definitely happy with it. As soon as I have a moment I will upgrade the Sabre as well.

Anyways, the mod:

- I unplugged the servo and removed it from the wing
- Cut the ailerons off the wing, turned them upside down and the left one with the right one to keep the horns close to the fuse
- Cut a hole in the fuse to insert the pushrod but it was too fiddly to do a proper job so I was stuck.
- I SLOWLY unglued the wing using Nitrocharged's method, cut two little vertical slots on the fuse and a big hatch under the battery compartment.
- Placed all the elements back together and voila', the trick is done.
- (Not shown) the bottom of the servo is coming out 3 mm under the fuse so I took the foam protection, kept the dome part and cut away more than half of it so it's only 4 mm high now.

Next will be to turn the ail servos upside down on the MiG as well as this morning, on the last landing, I lost one of the two pushrods in the grass..

Conclusion: I recommend this mod to anyone with a Sabre, it takes less than an hour and will last forever.
gionir is offline Find More Posts by gionir
Old Nov 06, 2011, 01:20 AM
Joined Sep 2004
97 Posts
fan replacement

Hi All,

I am kind of puzzled how to replace the fan as the nut is tucked away in the fan. How do you replace the fan without damaging it?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Erwin
reinhoud is offline Find More Posts by reinhoud
Old Nov 06, 2011, 01:48 AM
The stalling italian
France, RA, Lyon
Joined Jan 2011
297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinhoud View Post
Hi All,

I am kind of puzzled how to replace the fan as the nut is tucked away in the fan. How do you replace the fan without damaging it?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Erwin
Hi Erwin,
Once you have the fan assembly in your hands you hold the chromed part of the motor in one hand, the front part of the fan in the other and gently spin until the fan comes off, then you can push the nut out.
To mount it back just put the nut in the fan, push it in firmly and twist it the other way.
gionir is offline Find More Posts by gionir
Old Nov 06, 2011, 02:28 AM
Joined Sep 2004
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gionir View Post
Hi Erwin,
Once you have the fan assembly in your hands you hold the chromed part of the motor in one hand, the front part of the fan in the other and gently spin until the fan comes off, then you can push the nut out.
To mount it back just put the nut in the fan, push it in firmly and twist it the other way.
Thanks, great when things are more easy than expected, used to bigger edf´s and had not come across this one yet.

Regards,
Erwin
reinhoud is offline Find More Posts by reinhoud
Old Nov 06, 2011, 08:23 AM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajora View Post
Well, you HAVE seen it ... you just have not seen it fly yet!
Heh heh. I went over to your Vimeo channel was watching the videos of the 50mm A10 when my wife walked past. She saw the plane and commented "Oh, that's a cute plane". That means I have the approval in principle.

You have a great channel. I will bide my time watching other videos while waiting for your 35mm one. I will wait patiently, but if it serves you well , please Hurry up!
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre
Old Nov 06, 2011, 09:34 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketre View Post
Heh heh. I went over to your Vimeo channel was watching the videos of the 50mm A10 when my wife walked past. She saw the plane and commented "Oh, that's a cute plane". That means I have the approval in principle.

You have a great channel. I will bide my time watching other videos while waiting for your 35mm one. I will wait patiently, but if it serves you well , please Hurry up!
You operate under the same premise that I do. A comment like THAT is always interpreted as absolute permission to purchase said product.

We are working on it. We do get some rains right about now. Haven't seen a drop since early July but now it is coming down.
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2011, 11:44 AM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajora View Post
You operate under the same premise that I do. A comment like THAT is always interpreted as absolute permission to purchase said product.

We are working on it. We do get some rains right about now. Haven't seen a drop since early July but now it is coming down.
Funny, that's the way it is with my wife too.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Nov 06, 2011, 03:13 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,199 Posts
We ended up with a nice afternoon yesterday so Strike3 and I videoed Part Two of the Hawk and got some very nice film of it..... including me dorking it into the ground after an over reaction to a 'too low' fly by....

Should have it up some time today.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Nov 06, 2011, 03:36 PM
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
8,911 Posts
Banana Hobby has the Mig and A-10 which they say middle of Nov
http://www.bananahobby.com/2221.html
http://www.bananahobby.com/2222.html
Mikemynameis is online now Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Nov 06, 2011, 04:13 PM
Gravity sucks.
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Mar 2011
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
We ended up with a nice afternoon yesterday so Strike3 and I videoed Part Two of the Hawk and got some very nice film of it..... including me dorking it into the ground after an over reaction to a 'too low' fly by....

Should have it up some time today.
on video??
m_ark is offline Find More Posts by m_ark
Old Nov 06, 2011, 04:33 PM
I don't want to land yet!
Joined Jan 2010
1,500 Posts
Yep, it's on video... you even got a mention m_ark
Strike3 is offline Find More Posts by Strike3
Old Nov 06, 2011, 05:22 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiztidbowler View Post
Banana Hobby has the Mig and A-10 which they say middle of Nov
http://www.bananahobby.com/2221.html
http://www.bananahobby.com/2222.html
Wonder if the mig and A-10 are good products. You never know what you are going to get from Banana hobby.

How much power does the Mig-29 have? Is it like its full size counterpart: 2:1 T/W?
Cheese5 is offline Find More Posts by Cheese5