HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 03, 2011, 02:30 AM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaanesh View Post
The advantage should be reduced amp draw for less thrust - but hopefully similar efflux speed. .
The only way to do this (less thrust, more efflux) is to reduce the exhaust area. Blade pitch doesn't play a role...

[runs and hides in a corner]

I wonder how hard the MiG would be to convert to a twin 30 or 25, and trim the nacelles down to a normal size?
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2011, 07:10 AM
Halifax, NS
Joined Sep 2009
404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo View Post
I'm starting off with 2s, I should be able to keep the weight down, and hope I can slow it down enough for some indoor flying.
These birds are no good for indoor flying, unless maybe you have a very large domed stadium to use
karlpenney is offline Find More Posts by karlpenney
Old Nov 03, 2011, 08:53 AM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,051 Posts
I DO have a very large golf dome, it's in Bensenville near Chicago. I've seen EDFs flown there before, the GWS A-10, the FANtastic Mig 15, which I remember as being bigger than the HK one.

I'll definitely check it out outside first. One issue with flying this particular dome is that there's virtually no control of airspace, I've seen as many as 15 planes in the air at once, everything from slowflyers and 3D to Zagis. I wish they would restrict certain planes to certain time slots, the way it is now, mid airs are common. Still, if it's a slow night, it would be nice to fly it in the middle of winter.
Angelo is online now Find More Posts by Angelo
Old Nov 03, 2011, 08:57 AM
Check your six
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2002
1,240 Posts
Quote:
Well, got the F-86 today. Kind of a "good news/bad news" thing. The good; plane looks great, none of the warping others have had, nice, straight tail feathers and wings. This bird is small! Should be great at my local baseball fields.

The bad; I was hoping to make one of my micro receivers work with this, but the JST connectors, I see now, won't allow that. I thought of converting to the standard plugs, but that seems like too much work. So I'm grounded until the orange receiver I just ordered shows up. Yeah, I know, I should of ordered it along with the plane, but like I said, I thought I could make one of my micro receivers work.

I'm starting off with 2s, I should be able to keep the weight down, and hope I can slow it down enough for some indoor flying. Can't wait to get this in the air, this plane is just too cool looking.
Let us know how you make out. Pics would be great. Marty
martys is offline Find More Posts by martys
Old Nov 03, 2011, 08:59 AM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,051 Posts
I'm a little confused on the "orange" receivers HK sells. I seem to remember some posts saying you have to re-wire servo and ESC connectors. The HK site has reviewers where some say you have to re-wire, others don't mention it. I'm thinking I'll be okay if I use the JST connectors as they came with the plane. Is that right?
Angelo is online now Find More Posts by Angelo
Old Nov 03, 2011, 10:25 AM
Registered Noob
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined May 2011
303 Posts
Quote:
I'm a little confused on the "orange" receivers HK sells. I seem to remember some posts saying you have to re-wire servo and ESC connectors. The HK site has reviewers where some say you have to re-wire, others don't mention it. I'm thinking I'll be okay if I use the JST connectors as they came with the plane. Is that right?
You need to have a RX that has small molex connectors, like this one:

"Micro Molex 3 Pin conectors with 1.25mm Spacing"

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ceiver%5F.html

reviewer : "This receiver is a perfect fit for the 35mm EDF Mig-15 PNF package. The included servo connectors and ESC connectors plug in to this RX without any modifications needed. (As of early Sept 2011) "

... otherwise you have to redo your connectors, or solder straight onto the rx. The older orangeRX have the bigger, normal connectors.
protocol is online now Find More Posts by protocol
Old Nov 03, 2011, 11:05 AM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,229 Posts
I think I'm going to take my Mig15 to JR tomorrow. On 3s I think it might eat up too much space though.
kuczy is online now Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Old Nov 03, 2011, 11:29 AM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
749 Posts
Quote:
yes. mine is a straight plug in. no swapping of wires. im using the orange Rx 415
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre
Old Nov 03, 2011, 01:44 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,372 Posts
HK Buddy Codes for F-16 parts:

Cockpit Assembly
http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...F-F9EB7F60B40F

Fuselage Assembly
http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...D-4CEFF05B7547

Vertical Tail Assembly
http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...1-14C888EBAF61

Horizontal Tail Assembly
http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...1-670E938F3CEE

Saves a little over $2.00. Not a lot, but better than zilch.

g
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi
Old Nov 03, 2011, 02:01 PM
left, left, oh, my other left!
Western Mass
Joined Feb 2008
412 Posts
very cool - thanks! What are folks using for servos. motor, fan, esc when purchasing just the pieces?
smrouss
smrouss is offline Find More Posts by smrouss
Old Nov 03, 2011, 03:22 PM
United States, MI, Royal Oak
Joined Nov 2005
1,356 Posts
Just worked this up for size comparisons in a design program of ours at work to give you guys a quick reference if you happen to have either of the other foamy Migs. This 35mm is gunna be sweet!
JGuilty13 is online now Find More Posts by JGuilty13
Old Nov 03, 2011, 08:37 PM
Luck is my skill
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,169 Posts
F/A-18 Successful Maiden!!!

This thing flies GREAT!!!

SOOO HAPPY This is my third EDF and sooooo glad I got it, I swore off EDF's twice b4 but glad I didn't really quit.

I SUCK at hand launching from my previous EDF's so I was really nervous. (I currently bungee launch my 50mm F22 cause I STILL cannot hand launch it!)

First hand launch ended about 10' out in black berry bushes, I read to launch these at 80%-100% throttle in the wind, but for some reason I didn't want to do this, so I launched it hard at 10-20% throttle and punched it after she left my hand, the bird just kinda flopped around in the air and gently glided into the sticker/black berry bushes.

Second hand launch was at 100% throttle and WOW off she went with just a light toss. Trim was off about 15 clicks left and 5 clicks up elevator. Kept the flight to 2:30 WOT the whole flight.

Third launch was flawless, tested out roll rates and vertical, almost as good as my 2s Sukhoi XP, but a bit faster. SHE DID A LOOP!!! Something I can't get my F-22 to do without a power dive.

Sorry no Camera person, but will have one Saturday, weather permitting here in Seattle.

Below is a picture of the damage I had when pulling my bird out from the bushes, lol it had a thorn stuck in the nose cone.
queadlunnrau is offline Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
Old Nov 04, 2011, 07:38 AM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
749 Posts
Where is the CG for the F18?
I got the pieces and don't have the manual.
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre
Old Nov 04, 2011, 10:31 AM
Luck is my skill
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketre View Post
Where is the CG for the F18?
I got the pieces and don't have the manual.
I'll check the manual once I get home for the number, but basically there are these indents in the wings near the fuselage that look like |> |

I put CG there and she flew great.

I'm using a 370mAh 3s LiPo that weighs 36.5g as well as a heavy 12a esc (Plush 10a are always out of stock!)
queadlunnrau is offline Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
Old Nov 04, 2011, 02:02 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,372 Posts
Slaanesh,

Over on the HK website a while back you posted that you were going to assemble a 35mm fan with this 4500kv motor :
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=8493

Am curious to know your results.

g
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi