HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 07, 2011, 10:43 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
The Netherlands, GE, Nijmegen
Joined Feb 2001
10,937 Posts
Don't worry, motors will desintegrate from rpm's before insulation breaks down.

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2011, 12:46 PM
United States, NE, Hebron
Joined Nov 2008
1,015 Posts
kk,

thanks guys i sure have learned a lot on this little thread. with the manuals and all there is a ton of info for the basic reader.

so now i have more questions. do you guys think there is a lot of difference between the turnigy SK series of motors and this one. other than the obvious the fan on this one and the prop mount on the sk.

the sk series are rated at 70 amps and the reviews show much higher amp use.

i am wondering i have a wrecked sk5065 if the wire and bearings is the only difference or are the laminates and magnets even better on this motor.

later Andrew k
57sailplane is offline Find More Posts by 57sailplane
Old Jul 07, 2011, 01:56 PM
Fill'er Up!
Oxnard, Ca
Joined Oct 2008
1,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57sailplane View Post
kk,

thanks guys i sure have learned a lot on this little thread. with the manuals and all there is a ton of info for the basic reader.

so now i have more questions. do you guys think there is a lot of difference between the turnigy SK series of motors and this one. other than the obvious the fan on this one and the prop mount on the sk.

the sk series are rated at 70 amps and the reviews show much higher amp use.

i am wondering i have a wrecked sk5065 if the wire and bearings is the only difference or are the laminates and magnets even better on this motor.

later Andrew k
I have a number of SK motors of various sizes, from 35-30 to 63-74. Bearing size on the SK is larger than the T600, but the bearings are junk. I gather the bearings on the T600 is smaller because it is originally designed for a Heli, which deals with much less lateral loads than a motor with a prop. T600 bearings are 6x10x3 (X2) & 6x13x5. The 50-65 bearing size is 8x12x3.5 (X2) and 8x16x5.

What I like about the T600 is the keyed and curved magnets. The bell has notches for the magnets to fit into. The magnets mechanically cannot go anywhere when the motor is running, which means there will be no magnet releases that plague the SK motors due to high temps. The T600 only need a tiny bit of glue to keep them stable. The magnets also seem to have more strength than the 50-65 380kv I have.

Power handling, the T600 does better than the SK. The SK 50-55 580kv is the comparable to this motor, as the T600 outside (minus shaft) is about 50x50mm. I'm guessing, but the stator looks about 40x40mm. I have seen the SK 50-55 go to 65A safely. Over that, it is in danger. The 50-65 380 I have I take to 72A all the time, and it is warm, but never over 50*C with fair cooling with average ambient temp at about 19-24*C. As stated previously, I can push this T600 modified motor to 94A with only moderate temp increases.

My thought is if you have a wrecked 50-65, rewind it and put some semi-ceramic bearings in there. There is a guy on the forums that has been rewinding that motor, so there is some documentation on it. IMO, it is a great candidate for a rewind.
mattyhawk is offline Find More Posts by mattyhawk
Old Jul 09, 2011, 05:54 AM
Australia
Joined Nov 2010
2,876 Posts
i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyhawk View Post
My thought is if you have a wrecked 50-65, rewind it and put some semi-ceramic bearings in there. There is a guy on the forums that has been rewinding that motor, so there is some documentation on it. IMO, it is a great candidate for a rewind.
People have asked quite a few times in the HK forum for motor xyz to be wound in a particular way. if its a popular wind if should be suggested to them and they will create a new model.
lipoflyer is offline Find More Posts by lipoflyer
Old Jul 09, 2011, 09:04 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipoflyer View Post
i

People have asked quite a few times in the HK forum for motor xyz to be wound in a particular way. if its a popular wind if should be suggested to them and they will create a new model.
The motor makers? To best suit one model? No way. If you look at the winds that have been developed by hobbyists and refined for the various motors you'll see everything the motor makers would have to do to make a better motor.

And the details of motors optimized to the various venues (speed, combat, 3D, etc.) are right here. The hobbyist motor rewinders have refined the wind type choices, the turn counts, and the terminations that are best but it would mean that the motor makers would have to produce about five or six variants for each model of the motor to match that.

The Cheap Chinese Motor Making Mafia is all about keeping 8 year old child labor employed and selling the most motors. It has nothing at all to do with providing commodities of the condition or configuration needed...

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes