SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 18, 2001, 08:28 PM
Designing on the edge
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Mar 2001
1,533 Posts
Discussion
Albatros DVa photos

I have updated my web site to show photos of my 36" Albatros DVa. I am doing the 30" Buhl Air Sedan now. I have more to add in the next few days.
Bengtson is offline Find More Posts by Bengtson
Last edited by Bengtson; Jun 24, 2009 at 12:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2001, 11:43 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,792 Posts
Kurt,
Wow, love that DVa. I hope you didn't damage the spinner in your 'prang'. Did you end up using the glassed foam idea? Of course, you realise that I shall have to do a DIII now.
Glad to see that the plans were of use, there are some interesting design ideas amongst them, don't you think?

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Oct 19, 2001, 12:38 PM
Designing on the edge
Joined Mar 2001
1,533 Posts
Pete:

Well the DV spinner was a total loss! The plane hit nose in just like the WW1 movies showed from the 20's and 30's. The foam did prevent the APC prop from breakage. Damage was mostly in the front of the fuse. The carbon tube reinforced wings were undamaged. I am spending most of my time redoing the lower wing mounting as it wasn't done properly before. I think that this area is the most difficult part of the model. I made up another glassed spinner. Neat idea thanks for the suggestion.

The plans are sort of like pulling on a string. One thing leads to another. I found that to put all of them on a site that I need to move them to my business web site. That means that I probably will have to figure out a way of converting my hobby/obsession to some kind of business. I want to have a site for free plans and such. Maybe it will be apparent as time goes on. I would also like to develop a line of high quality electric scale laser cut kits. I have the business structure to do it I just need the right designs. When I go the the flying field it is the scale planes that get all the attention. I am convinced that this will be a great field as electric flight becomes more prevalent.
Old Oct 19, 2001, 01:32 PM
Monson,MA
Joined Mar 2000
525 Posts
D.V plans

Hi Kurt, Thanks for the great plans page,the Albatros will be my next project when I can download the plans. Was this speed 400 powered? Your pictures look great. I think that I will do mine in the more tradititioal wood and dark green/brown uppers and light blue/grey lowers. After doing the Fok D-VIII from Peter's plans(still flying) and a visit to Old Rhienbeck Aerodrome, I got bitten by the WWI bug. I thought about electric power for the D.II plans from FSM, Jul/Aug 2001, maybe down the road with that one.....
Frank Rys is offline Find More Posts by Frank Rys
Old Oct 19, 2001, 05:28 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,792 Posts
Kurt,
Don't forget the washout this time!!! You could keep things scale like by just adding washout to the ailerons.
You know where I am if you get stuck for kit designs, I still have one or two that haven't been published, and one or two dozen still to be drawn up.

Pete
Old Oct 19, 2001, 06:09 PM
Designing on the edge
Joined Mar 2001
1,533 Posts
Frank:

The DVa is powered by a 6V S400 geared 2.33:1 and a 9x6 APC Slowflyer prop.

Pete:

I thought that I might just make the ailerons tip up to simulate washout. I think that is what you were indicating, right? BTW, Thanks so much for all your help.

I did finally get the web page working with all the plans. Checked the links and they seem to work.
Old Oct 22, 2001, 02:40 PM
Designing on the edge
Joined Mar 2001
1,533 Posts
Hi:

I was able to get the DVa repaired as planned and flew the plane successfully on Sunday. The plane now flys very nicely and I love the looks of this plane in the air. All I needed to do was to trim the elevator. BTW, The plans that I used caused my to have wing incidences that were way to positive relative to the stab. 5-7 degrees! I noticed this when I as rebuiding the plane. I did not pay enough attention to the actual readings and simply trusted the plan. I reduced the lower wing to zero and the upper to 2 degrees positive. Really dramatic improvement in flyability.
Old Oct 28, 2001, 10:11 PM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,273 Posts
I just downloaded the plans. Very nice.

The photos of yours make the Simprop and Scorpio Albatrosses look cheezey.
Nice work.
Kevin Murray is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Murray
Old Oct 29, 2001, 09:53 AM
Designing on the edge
Joined Mar 2001
1,533 Posts
Kevin:

Thank you! I never planned that this model would become what it has. I really started it as a lark just to see how fast I could build a model, but somewhere along the line I fell in love with the plane. Now I am hooked on scratch building and "engineering" my own alterations in designs. I am finding that it is a real roller coaster ride with frustrating lows and exhilerating highs that I just didn't get from simply building a kit. The successful flight of a plane built from scratch is one of those super sweet moments that I will never forget.
Old Oct 29, 2001, 05:24 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,792 Posts
Kurt,
At last someone else now understands why I build so many models. It really is a great feeling to know that it's all your own work, isn't it?
BTW, the Scout plan is now finished and I'll get it posted off to you this week.

Pete
Old Oct 29, 2001, 05:39 PM
Designing on the edge
Joined Mar 2001
1,533 Posts
Pete:

Yes, I would say that it rates right up there with the thrill of my first successful landing.

Super news about the Bristol Scout. I'll clear my building table in anticipation. Hopefully, we will have this project off the ground in time for Christmas.
Old Oct 29, 2001, 08:38 PM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,273 Posts
Thanks again Kurt.
What a great collection of plans you have there. It is very generous of you to allow us access to it.

I'm printing a 200% Sirrus float plane now. Should be great for my pond. Will size it for GWS drive and build at least a depron-meat plate version. Mabey even a balsa one.
Old Oct 31, 2001, 12:07 AM
Go Wallabies!
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Dec 2000
372 Posts
Well, the Albatros is now on my list. I have got all the bits lying around waiting to be used so its only the building time. Anyone got any to spare that they can lend me?

CraigO
CraigO is offline Find More Posts by CraigO
Old Oct 31, 2001, 01:18 AM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,273 Posts
OOooooopppppsss.
Made the mistake of printing the Albatros plans last night. When I opened the plans, they went onto a paint program. Also made the mistake of NOT previewing the print. Well each page was blown up and spread out over 20 to 30 pages, wound up being about 100 to 120 pages total. It was on a network so I didn't know how to abort the job.

Anyone have the need for one of these Abbatrosses blown up to about 600 % ?

Major ooops.
Old Oct 31, 2001, 03:24 PM
Designing on the edge
Joined Mar 2001
1,533 Posts
Here is a statistic about the interest in the plans:

Since October 18th there have been 1875 plans downloaded from my web site.

I am surprised that there is so much interest in electric scale flight. It does seem to me that there aren't enough kits to choose from or for electric scale plans for that matter. What do you all think?