Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 06, 2011, 11:56 PM
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined May 2010
336 Posts
Discussion
DSM2 6ch OrangeRX won't bind--won't even flash the LED

I'm trying to bind an OrangeRX 6 channel RX to my DX6i, but I am having a heck of a time. I hope someone can point out a dumb mistake I am making. I cannot get the RX to go into bind mode--the LED either stays off or stays on.

I found a video guide to doing the bind, and then I started reversing plug polarity anyway just for the hell of it. No dice.

I am using a HK ESC and I verified that it is putting 5.05V out on the BEC plug.

I guess I should back up and describe the whole setup...

1. 3s lipo plugged in to HK 20A ESC

2. Bind plug in BIND/BATT port of 6ch OrangeRX, DSM2 version. (Bind plug is not faulty, checked continuity)

3. Motor hooked up to 3 ESC leads (motor does make 3 ascending tones when battery connected to ESC)

4. After energizing the ESC, I plug the BEC lead from the ESC in to any non-BATT/BIND port on RX, with the white wire on top

At this point nothing happens--the RX LED flashes once and stays dark. If I plug the BEC in with the black wire towards the top of the RX, the LED comes on and stays on.

I'm stumped. What should I check next? I must be misunderstanding something, it is my first build-from-scratch.
horseflesh is offline Find More Posts by horseflesh
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2011, 04:09 AM
Almere, Netherlands
Joined Mar 1999
572 Posts
check polarity.

The minus pins are connected with each other,
and the pins are reversed from the origional spektrum receiver.
niek is offline Find More Posts by niek
Old Jun 07, 2011, 07:31 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,648 Posts
You don't want the motor plugged in yet, for safety purposes. With the ant. pointing at your belly button and on the right hand side, plug the esc into the second plug from the right, the throttle plug with the black wire to the bottom. Next, plug in the bind plug to the right side connector. Plug the batt. into the ESC and the rcvr should blink fast. If it doesn't, it's a bummer.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Jun 07, 2011, 01:34 PM
Joined May 2010
336 Posts
Thanks everyone... Still no joy. Well, that's HK for you!

I remembered I had a real Spektrum RX to try and that works OK, so I haven't made an error in hooking up the ESC/BEC.

(BTW Gord, the motor has no prop and is held in a vice, but point taken.)
Old Jun 07, 2011, 01:48 PM
Joined May 2010
336 Posts
AAAHHHHH

It works now. THE STICKER WAS BACKWARDS! I was thinking back to what Gord wrote, "second plug from the right." On my unit, with the antenna pointed at me, the throttle is the second plug from the left. So I thought Gord just misspoke. But nope... the thing was labeled incorrectly!
Old Jun 07, 2011, 01:53 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,648 Posts
Good to know in case someone else has trouble getting it to work.

Gord.
Old Jun 07, 2011, 03:02 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseflesh View Post
Thanks everyone... Still no joy. Well, that's HK for you!
I've tested about 25 Orange and RA61e receivers from HK and flown quite a few of them. All have worked well. There was a faulty batch of the RA61e back in late Feb/early March, and there are occasional bad examples, but on the whole they are very good. Still, I always advise that if you need three, buy four. At under $7, you can afford to!
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Jun 08, 2011, 01:10 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseflesh View Post
AAAHHHHH

It works now. THE STICKER WAS BACKWARDS! I was thinking back to what Gord wrote, "second plug from the right." On my unit, with the antenna pointed at me, the throttle is the second plug from the left. So I thought Gord just misspoke. But nope... the thing was labeled incorrectly!
+1 on the sticker issue! I was having the same problem binding a RX for a new model and besides the frustration there was something else niggling at my mind. I was about to give it up as a bad RX and got out another one when it dawned on me that the pin positions were different. Ah ha! One of the four RX in my last order from HK had the sticker on up side down. I carefully removed and replaced that one sticker to the proper orientation.

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Jun 08, 2011, 02:11 PM
Central Ohio
Joined Apr 2009
210 Posts
I actually take them out of the case, add black heat shrink, and peel the label to put on the heat shrink. Makes them a lot smaller and lighter in the micros and minis.
fotowiz is offline Find More Posts by fotowiz
Old Jun 08, 2011, 04:00 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,648 Posts
Same here with the case. It weighs 6 grams and the rcvr weighs 4 grams. I cover them with hockey tape.

Gord.
Old Jun 08, 2011, 05:44 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
Same here with the case. It weighs 6 grams and the rcvr weighs 4 grams. I cover them with hockey tape.

Gord.
Oh my! Here in the deep south hocky is something that the cat buries. We don't tape it up for anything!

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Jun 08, 2011, 06:23 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,648 Posts
My next door neighbors cat was burying something, so that's where two of my rcvrs went to.

Gord.
Old Jun 08, 2011, 11:06 PM
Joined May 2010
336 Posts
Removing the case is a good idea. A few grams isn't a big deal for the plane I just built but maybe next time it will be.