HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 06, 2011, 06:33 PM
United States, TX, La Porte
Joined Apr 2007
1,668 Posts
Discussion
NiMH battery packs

I am replacing my NiCads with NiMH packs. The question is what are good packs to buy for sport use? On Tower Hobbies site they have several brands and different prices. I have heard both good and bad about this type of battery. What do you guys recommend?
Gravman is online now Find More Posts by Gravman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2011, 08:15 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined May 2009
753 Posts
I used NiMh over this last year and to be honest all 3 have died on me despite diligent full discharges after each use. Why not go LiPo? Prices are cheap and the only addition you need is a charger that can balance the batteries and A low voltage alarm (12 bucks)
RussellTate is offline Find More Posts by RussellTate
Old Jun 06, 2011, 08:31 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,668 Posts
I thought LiPo's were only for high power use not for just running one of the sport power plants.
Old Jun 06, 2011, 09:05 PM
United States, VT, Pittsford
Joined Feb 2011
130 Posts
Battery

What is the application? Nickel metal hydride is a pretty proven middle of the road choice...they don't have to be fully discharged prior to recharge and don't exhibit the so-called memory (loss of capacity) effect...

You might want to consider the nickel-iron-phosphate cells (so-called A123
technology) - about 3.3V/cell, very flat discharge curve, no memory, very long charge shelf life, and not touchy like LiPos. Require specific charger and initially pricy. I've had good success with them.

So where are these batteries being used?
WA3ETD is offline Find More Posts by WA3ETD
Old Jun 06, 2011, 09:46 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,668 Posts
I have several kits from MACK Products. They use a 12volt motor 5045. Not high speed racers just running around the pond.
Old Jun 06, 2011, 10:39 PM
Chuck
Arizona
Joined Jan 2008
150 Posts
I've had good success with DuraTrax "Onyx" 3000mAh from Tower Hobbies. Nice thing about NiMH is you don't have to be concerned with full discharge before re-charging. Downside is you need to charge shortly before using, as they will self-discharge over time.
fredspak is offline Find More Posts by fredspak
Old Jun 07, 2011, 01:45 AM
nick 30
Joined May 2009
2,790 Posts
i use cheap nimh packs from china, being using them for over a year now and have had no problems with them, i also use lipo batt's (not just in my fast electric boats) in a couple of my smaller, lighter boats
nick30head is offline Find More Posts by nick30head
Old Jun 07, 2011, 08:43 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTate View Post
I used NiMh over this last year and to be honest all 3 have died on me despite diligent full discharges after each use. Why not go LiPo? Prices are cheap and the only addition you need is a charger that can balance the batteries and A low voltage alarm (12 bucks)
They died on you because you are not supposed to completely discharge them. My NiMh's last several years.You also need a charger that is specifically designed for NiMh batteries. Its called a Peak charger.
Predreadnut is offline Find More Posts by Predreadnut
Old Jun 07, 2011, 09:16 AM
GILL
United States, NJ, Hopatcong
Joined Aug 2005
2,614 Posts
I use nicads, NiMh, and Lipos. Predreadnut is right you should never fully discharge NiMh or Lipos batteries. I use NiMh batteries for high speed and scale, some are over 6 years old. I also use them in my radios, Transmitter and receiver packs. My little Coast Guard boat uses 2 4.8volt 1800ma receiver pack in series for 9.6 volts. I use the same packs for the radios in other boats. most of these packs are more then 4 years old. Most of my micro boats, NS Savannah (16in), Shrimp boat (14in.) and so on use th 4.8 volt 1800ms NiMh packs for power. The Savannah and shrimp boat draw less then 300ma.
GILL RC is offline Find More Posts by GILL RC
Old Jun 07, 2011, 09:20 AM
United States, MI, Hillsdale
Joined Apr 2008
631 Posts
You will get good and bad reports about every brand you look into.
Just make sure your charger is able to peak charge NiMh- the peak is different that NiCd and it has to know what to look for. (if its a fairly new charger, you should be ok)
Get the biggest capacity you can afford- thats just more running time and doesn't really change anything else.
For those kind of boats I wouldn't think a Lipo would be needed- unless you also run cars or plan to get into higher speed boats then you will be getting into Lipo anyways so might do it now.
Good luck!
Patric
PatricMichigan is online now Find More Posts by PatricMichigan