HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:45 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,435 Posts
I have been searching for a pilot and have found a few I like or think I can work with. This is my 10 year old daughters idea of a suitable pilot, a darn sock monkey keychain doll. So we put it in to see how it would look. The Luftwaffe would have ran for home if they saw blue sock monkeys flying Spitfires.
semperfi1970 is offline Find More Posts by semperfi1970
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2012, 05:28 AM
Australia, QLD, Townsville
Joined Jul 2011
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz101 View Post
Hey guys check THIS STORY OUT.

It's about twenty spitfires found buried in Burma!!

LURCH
Looks like the man has found his holy grail. Thanks for the info Taz.
medroller is offline Find More Posts by medroller
Old Apr 16, 2012, 05:53 AM
Australia
Joined Mar 2011
23 Posts
Mustang, your spit looks great, good to hear after the long wait she is flying beautifully for you.

Sadly against my better judgment I decided to make a solo flight on Sunday, first time after all the painting. I resisted earlier in the day but here in Melbourne there was only a slight northerly breeze and the call to head out was too great.

I normally fly with my brother, he hand launches for me and vice versa as estate construction has resulted in our old airfield being off limits (we literally were flying from the old disused RAAF Williams base runway at Laverton), so we haven't found a new park with a Tarmac runway yet.

Foolishly I thought I could hand launch, like I do with my 800mm, but the plane is just that bit bigger and demands a little more oomph and finesse on the stick. Needless to say she rose a bit but using the stick left handed to throw with my right resulted in a sharp nose dive from about 12-15 ft. Thankfully it was nose first and it has munted the spinner cone a bit so it rubs in the front - all
ok but now the prop points downward a good 3-4 degrees more..

Update: turns out my airleron servos were reversed..any wonder she kept rolling to the left,
I thought I was compensating when I was actually turning her straight into the dirt myself. I had checked all surfaces but obiously didn't pay attention to direction, my servo reverse button must have been switched at some point. What a fool! But I guess my hand launch wasn't the problem after all..
Deezlr8 is offline Find More Posts by Deezlr8
Last edited by Deezlr8; Apr 16, 2012 at 08:56 AM.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:44 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,766 Posts
The Laverton runway would have been awesome to use! And all that open area.
I was in the RAAF 9 years and almost 8 of that at Laverton (1AD... Comms & Radar. That is the last hangar Westwards).
Seems hard to come by decent runways in Australia! Real or model/club. (Keilor MAC has one).

I "throw" most planes under-handed.... left handed, as I use Mode2 (right stick Ail and Elev).... with a good strong arcing swing to release the throw upwards at about 30deg to 40deg. It gives a useful amount of time to correct problems.
I certainly can't throw a plane over-arm to any use - not many planes can be held well for that. Or at least not well thrown single handed whilst holding a TX, and getting the the throw to the right angle etc, with the weaker off (left) hand.

But of course your aileron issue was never going to be a happy ending! I did that... ONCE. Now pre-flight checks include close scrutiny to be 100% sure all things are operating correctly. LOL.
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:25 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,435 Posts
Well the air was still this morning and I seized the opportunity for the maiden of the spitfire. Before I rave about how well it flies I should tell how poor the takeoff's were. I have been flying taildraggers for many a year and have only had one this bad due to landing gear. I thought I could skip the gear mod, well I cant. I went to the local park and decided to fly off of the ball diamond as it is very flat raked dirt. The ball field part of the park is rather large as it has three ball fields with the outfields all touching in the center with a fair dead zone between them. Landing had to be in poor grass but that will come soon enough as landing was not an option once in the air. First attempt resulted in a nose over chopping some dirt but no harm done as I got off the throttle in time, well sorta in time. Being the first run I was trying to let it lift off on its own with little to no elevator other than a little down to lift the tail as I would with any taildragger. Well that tail needs no help at all, as a matter of fact she needs full up elevator just to keep the prop out of the dirt. Second attempt, well I am a slow learner come to find out. One can not perform the same action twice and expect different results the second time. Third attempt was with rocket assist as I gave it full throttle with no run up and full up elevator. The tail lifted but the plane was airborn before it could even think of nosing over. She was a little touchy and pulled right but not out of the norm for a takeoff like that. She took little to no trim once in the air, a little down and a tad right rudder. I like the 75mm cg for flying but Mustangloyd was rite when he said it could cause nose overs. She tracked strait and true through sweeping turns, on a straight away she is true hands off from 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. Punch the throttle and it has a little tail waggle and a slight pitching of the nose. Looped very scale and rolled a tad slow but still very nice. With a 75mm cg it stalls strait forward with zero wind. Slow speed was what I thought it would be for a 3lbs 47" model, real slow, gotta love it. High speed, well its no racer with the 3s but flies very scale. I just may leave it 3s as I like the way it flies as is. Thank goodness it lands so slow even without a head wind, landing's would have been worse than they were. First landing was, well funny at best seeing how I was looking at the bottom of the plane. Second landing I thought I could keep the tail down in the grass, ya rite as it went flop, the bottom of the plane does look good though. Without the gear mod I wonder if I could even land on two without nosing over on pavement. the gear mod is a must, I would hate to have to move the cg as it flies so nice the way it is. I have flown a few nitro warbirds (never a spitfire) that were nowhere near as much fun to fly or as predictable in all aspects of flight. A .25 to .40 size 3lbs spitfire that flies this nice and without the screaming glow engine, tell me whats not to love. All in all I am very pleased with this plane, and the gear mod is a must in my eyes. I know what I will be doing today.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 06:13 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,435 Posts
This may sound dumb but I may purchase another Dynam spitfire. Nitroplanes has them for $85 after the spring15 code that has been extended till 4/30/12.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 06:57 PM
Love Flying History
United States, VA, Front Royal
Joined Sep 2011
811 Posts
Crazy eddie these prices are insane!!!!!!
mustangloyd is offline Find More Posts by mustangloyd
Old Apr 16, 2012, 08:07 PM
Joined Jan 2007
446 Posts
Any of you guys read about the brand new Spit's (Yes plural!) that were found?

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news..._206526-1.html
SMRTIC is offline Find More Posts by SMRTIC
Old Apr 16, 2012, 08:27 PM
United States, TX, Converse
Joined Mar 2007
11 Posts
That's quite the suitable pilot and I'm sure the Jerry's would have gone to the psych ward after that one!
Quote:
Originally Posted by semperfi1970 View Post
I have been searching for a pilot and have found a few I like or think I can work with. This is my 10 year old daughters idea of a suitable pilot, a darn sock monkey keychain doll. So we put it in to see how it would look. The Luftwaffe would have ran for home if they saw blue sock monkeys flying Spitfires.

I ended up scrounging up a few parts at home and added the flaps to my spitty today as the weather wasn't being too friendly for flight.
I just cut the stock foam free, added the horns, pulled the glued-in blocks out of the servos' homes and also added a single reversing y-harness. It was cake. The hardest part was pulling the wiring through the wings.

P.S.: Were anyone else's servos all reverse? Even my gear was flipped. My RX is good (just pulled from a nitro I don't use that much.)
SlovenlyFive is offline Find More Posts by SlovenlyFive
Old Apr 17, 2012, 01:11 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2007
84 Posts
Just wondered if any of you guys have epoxied the wings onto the fuse on this plane? I have found after a few flights that where the wings meet each other and where the wings meet the fuse it tends to seperate a little. I am frequently re-tightening the screws and I think I am going to maybe epoxy the wings on but that also causes a problem if you need to replace aeleron servos, etc.........any thoughts? I think the wing screws are a little too small for the job.
Cheers
sglnichols is offline Find More Posts by sglnichols
Old Apr 17, 2012, 04:05 AM
Australia
Joined Mar 2011
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
The Laverton runway would have been awesome to use! And all that open area.
I was in the RAAF 9 years and almost 8 of that at Laverton (1AD... Comms & Radar. That is the last hangar Westwards).
Seems hard to come by decent runways in Australia! Real or model/club. (Keilor MAC has one).

I "throw" most planes under-handed.... left handed, as I use Mode2 (right stick Ail and Elev).... with a good strong arcing swing to release the throw upwards at about 30deg to 40deg. It gives a useful amount of time to correct problems.
I certainly can't throw a plane over-arm to any use - not many planes can be held well for that. Or at least not well thrown single handed whilst holding a TX, and getting the the throw to the right angle etc, with the weaker off (left) hand.

But of course your aileron issue was never going to be a happy ending! I did that... ONCE. Now pre-flight checks include close scrutiny to be 100% sure all things are operating correctly. LOL.
Yes Peter, it was a fantastic spot (just need to watch for snakes). Sadly that area is off limits as the new Williams Landing suburb is taking up all that old land and the old runway is fast turning into the main street of thee suburb. We have been looking for a new location but the best we can find in Melbourne's west so far are a few open area parks - great for space but unfortunatelly no runways....

I will have to try that technique, I threw over arm with my right... since I'm right handed and my left hand control skills are less than perfect.

I've learnt my lesson - fingers crossed she flies well this weekend.

@nichols - I too cemented my wings on for a firmer hold, I wasn't satisfied with the small amounts of movement I was getting with only the 4 screws in place.
Deezlr8 is offline Find More Posts by Deezlr8
Old Apr 17, 2012, 06:46 AM
Make me a proper Spitfire!
Norway
Joined Jul 2009
1,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMRTIC View Post
Any of you guys read about the brand new Spit's (Yes plural!) that were found?

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news..._206526-1.html
This is just fantastic!...something you dream of , but never expect to happen in real life. In Norway we have still a lot of ex Luftwaffe aircraft laying around, but not in this condition. Thanks for sharing the news.

Terje
SAPSPIT is online now Find More Posts by SAPSPIT
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:47 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,435 Posts
My wing feels very solid to the fuse just using the four screws, I myself can not see glueing them to the plane. The only way I can see the wing tear free from the plane is in a violent outside loop or a snap roll and I dont see this plane doing any of that in its stock form. What I did do though is glue the wing halfs together. Yesterday when doing the gear mod I noticed some faults in the wing construction. The two panel lines starting at the leading edge were the cannons plug into the wing were not glued. When the wing flexed upwards the panel lines would open up, I was flying with the integrity of the top wing skin. More starteling to me was the fact that allmost in line with the other two panel lines is the track cut in the wing for the retract wires. The track is very deep and wide open, flex your wing and watch that sucker open up. I doubt I would ever buy replacement retracts for the plane as I just ordered a second arf for $85 last nite and the retracts are $40. I glued it shut and the wing is real solid now. If you decide to glue what I explaned ensure you do not press the glue joints together. Pressing them will cause a slight washout in the wing and the gear wire track will take dihedral out of the wing. I used gorilla glue as it fills gaps and I needed not press the joints together. The gear mod went well and I gained a little forward rake using a 1/4" shim and longer screws. I could not pass up on the second arf for $85, now I dont know how I want to paint it or just leave it in the box for spare parts. Any paint ideas out there? Heck I could even do a British flag sceme. You guys have some great looking paint jobs on your spitt's I know you have some ideas.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 09:25 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2007
84 Posts
thanx Deez.....well I went for it in the end and glued them on. Of course when the pressure was on and the glue was drying I couldnt get the last screw in but managed it in the end.....just hope that I've put them on as straight they were before as she was flying beautifully prior to the glue. Next mod is 4S and upgrade the ESC to higher A rating.
Fantastic news about the 'lost' spits in Burma.....just hope they are in good nick when they recover them. If I was that farmer who has put all that time and effort into it then I would be getting my pilots lisence and reserving a couple for myself! Just imagine....'here's me cows, here's me sheep.....ohhhh yeah...and in this barn is where I keep my Spitfire's!'
happy flying people.......i.love.spitfires.
sglnichols is offline Find More Posts by sglnichols
Old Apr 18, 2012, 05:17 AM
Just throw it up!
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jul 2011
1,451 Posts
http://img.wp.scn.ru/camms/ar/52/pics/3_57.jpg

I like this paint scheme.
Merlin Power is offline Find More Posts by Merlin Power