HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by boingk, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 06, 2011, 02:40 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Build Log
HK 3D Gee Bee balsa kit - FINISHED!

Latest efforts here have been on the 3D Gee Bee kit I got from HobbyKing a few months ago. I've been holding off completing it because I honestly didn't think I could handle a fragile 3D balsa plane until now. Well, the time has come (the Walrus said, to go fly other things!) and I reckon I'm ready:

These photos are taken after the maiden. I kept it on 3-channel only (aileron, elevator, throttle) and it didn't seem to need any trim at all. The 2s/C20/8x4 powertrain has more than enough thrust for the little beastie, loads of fun. All control are very touchy even at low speeds because they've got large surface areas and throws, a bit challenging on a non-computerised radio but it survived!

Worst thing to happen on the maiden was a rough landing. I damaged the prop tips but thats all. This looks like its gonna be a blast, I'll try and get some video of it up.

For those interested in the setup its as follows:

C20 motor w/3mm adaptor & 8x4 GWS prop
12A Blue Series ESC
Rhino 2s 20C 750mAh lipo
HK 2.4ghz DSM2 compatible receiver
HK15168 servo for ailerons
TGY-1440A servos for rudder and elevator

The programming settings for the ESC are high timing, instant startup, no rpm limit, sharp throttle response and power decreased once 3.2v/cell is reached. This gives smooth running for the motor and very responsive, punchy performance.

I have not programmed my controller for any expo or dual rates or anything like that as I just use a basic DX5e and cant do anything except reverse channels and switch between 70% and 100% throw rates. Flying on 70% rates for the maiden worked well, zero trim needed after trimming visually on ground. I would advise new flyers to stay away from this model until you can handle fast responding planes without expo, regardless of what you can program into your controller.

One final word - I'd really recommend using the Rhino 2s 750 as it is very thin and velcros easily to the side of the fuselage, just behind the motor. This makes for fast changes, keeps it cool during 3D and also balances the model out perfectly. The ESC and receiver are velcroed on as well to make it easy to change plugs or wiring and swap components if need be.

Thats it for now, video coming up ASAP.

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
to remove ads between posts