Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 05, 2011, 03:59 AM
Joined Jul 2009
1,311 Posts
Idea
Drive a Brushed motor without ESC

Greetings,
I have couple of toy planes which has brushed motors. I also has a Dx7. Here is an idea I am working on..

using the AUX channel to On/Off the brushed motor using a servo connected to a toggle switch and a battery. This will be not proportional. Thats ok for me. I can change the altitude using the elevator.

Any advice for me?
mrexcel is offline Find More Posts by mrexcel
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2011, 07:03 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,258 Posts
Well it will work, though a microswitch would make more sense than a toggle switch.

But isn't it easier and probably lighter just to use a small ESC ? There must be thousands of old brushed ESCs lying around that no-one uses any more.

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Jun 05, 2011, 07:32 AM
Joined Jul 2009
1,311 Posts
Good idea.

I don't have a single brushed ESC with me. Thats why I thought of this idea
Old Jun 05, 2011, 12:56 PM
Joined Jul 2005
507 Posts
Precedent used to make a glider that had a micro switch operated by a servo. I think the servo had a circular servo arm with a notch cut out , the switch would sit in the notch when it was off but when adjusted the switch would jump out of the notch and pushed on by the servo arm. I think thats how it worked anyway, it was a good flyer years ago.

Another option is to buy or make a simple electronic on/off switch plugged into a spare channel.

just checked it was the precedent electra-fly
busta1 is offline Find More Posts by busta1
Last edited by busta1; Jun 05, 2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old Jun 05, 2011, 01:40 PM
Mem Martins, PORTUGAL
Joined Jan 2002
234 Posts
Hi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrexcel View Post
Greetings,
I have couple of toy planes which has brushed motors. I also has a Dx7. Here is an idea I am working on..

using the AUX channel to On/Off the brushed motor using a servo connected to a toggle switch and a battery. This will be not proportional. Thats ok for me. I can change the altitude using the elevator.

Any advice for me?
Why not use the electronics of the servo to drive a FET to control the motor?
Is lighter and probably cheaper:
http://www.rc-airplane-advisor.com/e...ontroller.html
http://trebor69.tripod.com/speedcnt.html

Chispas
chispas2 is offline Find More Posts by chispas2
Old Jun 05, 2011, 07:57 PM
It's a spiderweb of knit lines
Souderton Pa. USA
Joined Mar 2002
2,638 Posts
If it's a small motor you can drive it right from the servo electronics, no fet needed. Won't be on-off like a switch, it will have a couple speeds. Lighter than a servo and switch because you don't need the case or gears. We used to do it all the time, before micro esc's were available.
mcross is offline Find More Posts by mcross
Old Jun 05, 2011, 08:31 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
As mcross said Its easy enough to use the PC board from any servo, most can drive up to 500 mA, you can replace the 5K pot with a smaller trimmer or even use two resistors and get a bi-directional esc. Used a lot in micro boats or cars. That will drive a pager or M-20/N-20 no problem, boards from a bigger servo can drive a 280/300 size motor too. Today's micro servos have a very small and light pc board
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Jun 05, 2011, 09:44 PM
Joined Jul 2009
1,311 Posts
wow wow wow. This is great. I just want to drive a 7mm coreless motor and I have a broken 3.7g servo.
Old Jun 06, 2011, 04:11 AM
Joined Jul 2009
1,311 Posts
Dear Peers,
I got an extra servo..
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7562

Just $3.79.

I got this setup to run my GPS-7 HK brushed gearbox. It works like a charm. I am hoping to build a model with AUW of 25-30g using a 2.5g servo to control the rudder.

Weight breakdown..

1. Airframe = 8g
2. Motor/Gear = 5g
3. Orange Rx = 4g
4. 100mah Lipo = 5g
5. Servo board and wires = 2g
6. landing gear = 2g
7. Rudder Servo = 3g

Total = 29g

This motor and gearbox has helped me to fly even 35g model. So I think I may be able to add a 200mah battery depending on the final actual AUW.

Once again, thank you a lot