Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 04, 2011, 08:52 PM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Apr 2011
210 Posts
Discussion
What's the difference between a cheap sim program and an expensive one

I got the $17 Dynam simulation yesterday. Well, actually, the $17 was the for USB transmitter.

How do the less expensive sims (like the Dynam or Clearview) compare with Real Flights or Phoenix? Are the basic movements on the cheaper sims and expensive once the same as a real helicopter and it's the level of customization that's different?
Allan Gibbs is offline Find More Posts by Allan Gibbs
Last edited by Allan Gibbs; Jun 04, 2011 at 09:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2011, 09:23 PM
Joined Apr 2011
210 Posts
Hi. I found the free downloads for Clearview and Phoenix. Is there a way to delete this thread?
Old Jun 05, 2011, 01:15 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,430 Posts
The Phoenix DL isn't a demo you can play.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jun 05, 2011, 02:47 AM
Joined Apr 2011
210 Posts
I know. I spent 20 minutes downloading the "Demo" only to see it's more like a trailer.

I tried Real Flight's demo, however, they don't have a transmitter option. It's only the keyboard.

So, the only two I actually got to try were Clearview and the Dynam one. I think Clearview is marginally better than Dynam but not by much.
Old Jun 05, 2011, 04:50 AM
Bundesrepublik Deutschland, Rheinland-Pfalz, Kaiserslautern
Joined Apr 2007
1,009 Posts
http://heli-x.net/download_e.shtml
daybyter is offline Find More Posts by daybyter
Old Jun 05, 2011, 07:27 AM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2010
1,025 Posts
I have clearview and the best I can tell you is it's a $40 sim and you get what you pay for. It helped me a lot when I was learning to hover and orientation. But as soon as I started to actually fly around it didn't feel right to me. I've spent a fair amount of time in the LHS on realflight and I gotta say there's a world of difference - realflight feels much more like the real one. And I've talked to a lot of people who say phoenix is better still.

If all you need is help with the basics, I'd suggest you try all the free sims (is what you have the same as FMS?) first, and they won't do what you need, give some real thought to bypassing clearview and just buy phoenix or realflight. As you already said, clearview is only marginally better.
karlik is offline Find More Posts by karlik
Old Jun 05, 2011, 09:41 AM
United Kingdom, England, Witham
Joined Feb 2011
899 Posts
If you are learning then Phoenix is the one to go for, then get in touch with captainjack on here for some online lessons.

Phoenix is in my opinion the best heli sim (and I have tried most of the others FMS, Realflight G4, clearview)
Essex2visuvesi is offline Find More Posts by Essex2visuvesi
Old Jun 05, 2011, 10:07 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,430 Posts
I have Phoenix and RF. Phoenix has better overall heli physics, but the RF hover training option is best and toughest. If you can master that in all orientations, real helis will be no problem. Otherwise, RF physics are too stable. For entertainment value, RF has many more models, settings and downloads. You can tweak settings in both.

Other sims are a waste of time, IMO.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jun 05, 2011, 11:45 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daybyter View Post
YES... give that one a try. It should make it really clear what the difference is. Helicopters are not stable aircraft, and how the instability is simulated is super important. It can be done correctly (physics) or incorrectly (random wobble) - and when it's done correctly, it becomes able to teach you how to get ahead of a helicopter and make it your b... er... it teaches you that the wobble isn't random, can be predicted, and can be dealt with. If the simulator has no wobble (FMS) or if it has random wobble (HeliSimRC), then it teaches you to react, rather than to predict, and while reaction is a valuable skill, it only gets you part way.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Jun 05, 2011, 03:12 PM
Joined Apr 2011
210 Posts
Thanks. I'm downloading it now. I read than, Jasmine, in one of your other threads that wobbles aren't random acts so that's one thing I'm looking for.

Another BIG factor I'm looking for is the "random" get-a-way. In ALL of my crashes, I'm hovering when all of a sudden, the helicopter starts flying away from me. At first, i thought it was a slight gust of wind (even though I didn't physically feel anything). I'm not sure what's cause that. My last crash, the helicopter started to get away from me. I frozen but I think I gave some rear cyclic but it didn't help. Finally, I had to shut down before the helicopter hit the bushes.

On the plus side, I've only had the sim for two days but have spent a few hours on it. Last night, I did some real life hovering and low ground forward flight and notice an improvement on fine hand movement control and predicting where the heli was going to go. I really can't afford anymore crashes.
Old Jun 05, 2011, 03:49 PM
Bundesrepublik Deutschland, Rheinland-Pfalz, Kaiserslautern
Joined Apr 2007
1,009 Posts
You have a trainer gear? Just slide around and try to keep in front of you. Once you lose control reduce pitch. Practice more batteries before you go higher.
daybyter is offline Find More Posts by daybyter
Old Jun 05, 2011, 08:39 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
IMO, you shouldn't fly a real heli until you can hover on the simulator. Why even try that?

Some helicopter movements are random, but most of the wobbling is predictable. However, your helicopter can be set up incorrectly or balanced wrong, have bad electronics, an imprecise or laggy radio, mechanical binding, mechanical freeplay, etc... and that can result in random behavior, particularly when you have multiple issues on one chopper. None of those problems can happen on a simulator, although Phoenix and RealFlight can simulate equipment failures such as broken servos or my favorite... "loss of radio contact"
Old Jun 05, 2011, 09:23 PM
Joined Apr 2011
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
IMO, you shouldn't fly a real heli until you can hover on the simulator. Why even try that?
Ah, that's another long story. I had a iMac and had a hard time finding a Mac sim and an connector to the computer.

Anyways, last Sunday, I was trying to load Window XP via Bootcamp on my iMac when it frozen up and I couldn't get the CD out. Long story short, on Monday, I got a Microsoft computer and the Dynam sim arrived on Friday and I've been working on that and trying other sim demos.

In real life, I have no problems hovering in an enclosed or partially enclosed space. It's just when I get out to an open field or parking lot that -eventually, I have the problem of the helicopter sometimes getting away from me.
Old Jun 05, 2011, 11:31 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
Oh well... eventually... they all get away.
Old Jun 06, 2011, 01:17 AM
Joined May 2011
424 Posts
To me it's almost impossible to fly a CP helicopter with out a FMS. Everything seems to happen so fast you don't have time to figure out what stick does what, it almost has to be instintive and for that to happen you have to practice alot on a FMS. I wonder how they
flew CP helicopter before the PC?
mugen 1 is offline Find More Posts by mugen 1