HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:30 AM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clp.eng View Post
I finally got around to hooking up all the electrics on my airboat. The motor just "stutters" or goes around slowly & jerky. I hope HK supports this thing with a replacement.

Hoping to run it around on the snow when we get some.

Chuck
You probably do NOT have a defective motor or ESC. Those symptoms are often the result of a poor connection between the ESC and motor (either a cold solder joint or flux contamination of the connector), or an improper timing setting on the ESC which you can change.

Good luck,

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:54 PM
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Apr 2008
278 Posts
G550Ted -Right you are. After soldering maybe 50 or 60 connectors over the past 5 yrs w/o a single failure, this one did. There was no continuity between the spring fingers & the barrel. I was dumbfounded when I found that this morning! But how the rosin could insulate it so well is beyond belief! LOL

Motor is spinning, so back to the build - oh I ordered a new motor yesterday in frustration, so I'll have a spare!! And I ordered the ESC programmer to make it easy to check the settings as well - great minds!

Chuck
clp.eng is offline Find More Posts by clp.eng
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:21 AM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clp.eng View Post
G550Ted -Right you are. After soldering maybe 50 or 60 connectors over the past 5 yrs w/o a single failure, this one did. There was no continuity between the spring fingers & the barrel. I was dumbfounded when I found that this morning! But how the rosin could insulate it so well is beyond belief! LOL

Motor is spinning, so back to the build - oh I ordered a new motor yesterday in frustration, so I'll have a spare!! And I ordered the ESC programmer to make it easy to check the settings as well - great minds!

Chuck
Glad you found the problem.

Ted
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:04 PM
Flying the Spyder
United States, PA, Parkesburg
Joined Mar 2008
304 Posts
I was thinkin bout goin with a 3 blade prop with less pitch to throw more air. I am an airplane guy A&P ia & pp from my experience the more blades the better the climb out sacrificing speed though. ie. a 2 bladed bonanza with io550 wil have a higher cruise speed than a three or even four bladed with the same engine however because all that power is translated with a three or four blade the thrust is greater causing an increased climb out.

I'd also like to see this be a pusher it'd have much better motor security, consider "clouds fly". I tried to change it but it'd take moving the stand mounts. Bummer.

As for balancing the prop... it really needed it. I used an Allen wrench to balance mine. Sure a bit rudimentary but it worked. Just slid it on and set the blades horizontal and boom she was swinging. I removed a ton of the heavy blade before it was close enough to not move from the horizontal axis. I can hardly wait till snow here so I can blast some powder.
eaglescry24 is offline Find More Posts by eaglescry24
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:15 PM
3D VFX Artist
USA, CA, Monrovia
Joined Jan 2008
2,042 Posts
Swamp Dawg anyone?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1790911
tonyastro is offline Find More Posts by tonyastro
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:52 PM
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Apr 2008
278 Posts
Well, I finally have built enough & enough snow to give it a try. The 1st attempt in powder failed miserably - it didn't move at all.

Today the condx were better - ice on snow. See here =
SwampDawg 1st Run On Ice (3 min 0 sec)
clp.eng is offline Find More Posts by clp.eng
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:22 AM
Australia, QLD, Redcliffe
Joined Feb 2013
14 Posts
This is my workboat. It rescues my raceboat and toes it back and runs a line around a stuck yacht. It puts out and retrieves racing buoys. It does a great job every time.
Simoc is offline Find More Posts by Simoc
Old Apr 25, 2013, 04:45 AM
Build, Fly, Rebuild!!
Australia, NSW, Lake Macquarie
Joined Dec 2011
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simoc View Post
This is my workboat. It rescues my raceboat and toes it back and runs a line around a stuck yacht. It puts out and retrieves racing buoys. It does a great job every time.
Hi Simoc, very interested to know how you put out and retrieve bouys as I race a model yacht and this would be a great way of setting the course.
Thanks in advance for any info given.

Ghost
Ghost who walks is offline Find More Posts by Ghost who walks
RCG Plus Member
Old May 08, 2013, 05:00 PM
Joined Mar 2013
6 Posts
Tried mine out today,brilliant. Only issue is that the battery only seems to last for about 5 minutes. Im using a Turnigy 1000mah 2s lipo pack. any suggestions please?
Charliebuoy is offline Find More Posts by Charliebuoy
Old May 08, 2013, 05:12 PM
Let me Fly please :^)
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliebuoy View Post
Tried mine out today,brilliant. Only issue is that the battery only seems to last for about 5 minutes. Im using a Turnigy 1000mah 2s lipo pack. any suggestions please?
I went on 3s1p 2200 had to change the ESC because the stock one doesn't accept the 3s1p. Lipo stays outside wrapped up in a sealled bag.
Check my videos
Swamp-Dawg-testrun-1 (1 min 20 sec)

Airboat-Fun-1 (2 min 42 sec)

Swamp-Dawg pursuit-1 (4 min 21 sec)
Paul-RC is offline Find More Posts by Paul-RC
Old May 08, 2013, 06:02 PM
Joined Mar 2013
6 Posts
Did it make a difference?
Old May 08, 2013, 06:09 PM
Let me Fly please :^)
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliebuoy View Post
Did it make a difference?
Much much faster , so fast that its hard to keep at full power
Paul-RC is offline Find More Posts by Paul-RC
Old May 08, 2013, 06:45 PM
Joined Mar 2013
6 Posts
Many thanks for that..
Old Jun 03, 2013, 12:41 PM
Joined Apr 2010
24 Posts
My kit just arrived today. Going together pretty smoothly, with one exception.

The ball ends in the steering are REALLY tight. Do they just break in after a short amount of time?
Ezrem is offline Find More Posts by Ezrem
Old Jun 03, 2013, 03:57 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezrem View Post
My kit just arrived today. Going together pretty smoothly, with one exception.

The ball ends in the steering are REALLY tight. Do they just break in after a short amount of time?
I would not expect them to "break in" for a very long time. Best thing to do is get a ball link reamer and get them right. If you have another ball you can score it with a sharp blade and use that to ream the link. Search the heli threads here or Google for more ideas.

Ted