HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 10, 2012, 03:46 AM
Australia, VIC, Preston
Joined Mar 2008
3 Posts
It fits perfectly in the stock motor mount.

You'll need a 3mm prop adapter, not sure about connectors I just soldered it directly to the esc wires.

The biggest prop that will fit is 5.5", the master airscrew one looks ok http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8006 but you might need to drill the hole bigger, I used an APC 5.5x4.5 prop which looks like it has a bigger hole.

I haven't tested it on water yet with the new motor but it feels like it has about 2x as much thrust as the stock motor on 3s.
gargalesis is offline Find More Posts by gargalesis
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2012, 04:36 AM
Joined Nov 2011
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gargalesis View Post
It fits perfectly in the stock motor mount.

You'll need a 3mm prop adapter, not sure about connectors I just soldered it directly to the esc wires.

The biggest prop that will fit is 5.5", the master airscrew one looks ok http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8006 but you might need to drill the hole bigger, I used an APC 5.5x4.5 prop which looks like it has a bigger hole.

I haven't tested it on water yet with the new motor but it feels like it has about 2x as much thrust as the stock motor on 3s.
thanks...I'll take advantage of you kindness, if possible....3mm prop adapter...something like this?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...rew_Type_.html

thanks
roberto76 is offline Find More Posts by roberto76
Old Jul 10, 2012, 05:19 AM
Australia, VIC, Preston
Joined Mar 2008
3 Posts
That prop adapter should work ok, but I'm not sure if the grub screw is very reliable. I would go for the collet type adapter at http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Type_3MM.html
gargalesis is offline Find More Posts by gargalesis
Old Jul 10, 2012, 05:33 AM
Joined Nov 2011
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gargalesis View Post
That prop adapter should work ok, but I'm not sure if the grub screw is very reliable. I would go for the collet type adapter at http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Type_3MM.html
thanks a lot! very kind!

bye
Roberto
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:58 PM
I don't do Normal
Canada, NT, Yellowknife
Joined Dec 2011
426 Posts
I'm actually a RC Airboat guy and checking plains out, I don't have one of these but I can give you some things to try out.

Airboats need a lot of thrust to counter the drag from the flat hull and the water. this boat looks like it's got enough power but lacks thrust, try putting a 3 or 4 bladed prop on it as large as you can go. reduce the pitch a bit if you have to the added thrust from the larger malty bladed prop will more than make up for it.

The other thing is that a low CG is actually a bit of a bad thing airboats are the opposite of propped boats, the thrust is from above the CG and not Below. this means when you hit the throttle it will not jump out of the water it will dive. the lower more out of alignment of the thrust the more this will happen. however lowering your CG will help keep that frond from hopping but more thrust will as well

Your rudders are also above the boat meaning the lower your CG the more your boat will want to roll out on a corner. a tall rudder will actually flip a airboat over from the thrust alone, so a taller rudder will flatten out a tern and a lower rudder will help it role into a turn more. I would flip the rudders over and see if that helps if you can.

Another thing that is vary important is prop placement if there is not enough boat in front of the prop the boat will dive with nothing to resist the thrust pushing down on the bow. If your boat is hopping you can also try moving the prop forward more, it's amazing how affective this can be. This also normally means you have to move the motor forward so it's a double hit, a 1/2" may do it.

If you want to check out a vary friendly and informing airboat site see link below
http://www.rcairboats.net/phpBB/inde...2fb01f4156080f

We also have a friendly fun speed contest,
http://www.rcairboats.net/RCAA.html
We are in the process of creating electric classes
Pinky_d_brain is offline Find More Posts by Pinky_d_brain
Last edited by Pinky_d_brain; Jul 18, 2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 03:09 AM
Joined Nov 2011
9 Posts
did someone modified where the servo rod goes into the the rudder? It seems not working well, it's not flat when linked to the rudder...
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:43 PM
More Motors, More Fun... :-)
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jan 2008
675 Posts
I did. Details in my blog. The rod does not move freely in the fixed pass-through HK designed for it. A water boot and enlarged rod pass-through hole solves that problem.
nioa is offline Find More Posts by nioa
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: VQ Models T-34 Mentor 61.4"...
Old Jul 19, 2012, 03:27 AM
Joined Nov 2011
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nioa View Post
I did. Details in my blog. The rod does not move freely in the fixed pass-through HK designed for it. A water boot and enlarged rod pass-through hole solves that problem.
ok thanks...so, the water boot as in the picture, in place of the HK stock pass-trough and where the rod passes under the semicircle in the back of the SD, did you remove it or enlarged?
Old Jul 19, 2012, 01:00 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jan 2008
675 Posts
I enlarged the hole just enough to fit the water boot. That is all that is needed. When the servo is operated, the rod clears the hole perfectly.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 20, 2012, 07:22 AM
Joined Nov 2011
9 Posts
Quote:
I enlarged the hole just enough to fit the water boot. That is all that is needed. When the servo is operated, the rod clears the hole perfectly.
ok, now seen what I needed to know at last!

may I???

Did you use a servo mount like this or this to fit the servo in that position? can you kindly post some pics of the detail?

sorry but I'm a newbie on this and hungry of knowledge...
Last edited by roberto76; Jul 20, 2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 03:23 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jan 2008
675 Posts
I made my own servo mount out of aluminum angle stock. It was very easy to do.

It is not all that necessary to install the servo the way that I did. You can fit the servo inside the compartment (you will still have to make a mount). I did it to maximize the amount of space available, as I don't like crowded compartments.

I don't have the boat here with me, so photos are not possible right now. It is very simply a servo mount, and sealant. There is a disadvantage to the way that I installed the servo. If you had to replace the servo due to failure, the servo wire routing requires you to open up the hull. You might just be better off mounting the servo without installing it in the wall of the compartment.

cheers,

Nick
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:12 AM
Joined Nov 2011
9 Posts
Quote:
I made my own servo mount out of aluminum angle stock. It was very easy to do.

It is not all that necessary to install the servo the way that I did. You can fit the servo inside the compartment (you will still have to make a mount). I did it to maximize the amount of space available, as I don't like crowded compartments.

I don't have the boat here with me, so photos are not possible right now. It is very simply a servo mount, and sealant. There is a disadvantage to the way that I installed the servo. If you had to replace the servo due to failure, the servo wire routing requires you to open up the hull. You might just be better off mounting the servo without installing it in the wall of the compartment.

cheers,

Nick
Thanks, I think I'll try to mount the servo in the custom compartment trying to use one of the servo mount I have in order to make as more space as I can and try to solve the "rod issue"....I don't like the way it works near the rudder....thanks again!
Old Aug 27, 2012, 02:27 AM
Joined Aug 2012
96 Posts
Battery, Esc & Motor coupling???

Hi All.

New to this forum but not new to r/c . I just bought this great little air boat for something different. I have put it all togeather & have some questions.

. The motor coupling where the 2 small 1.5mm screws go in . This is pulled forward under power. To me it should push back in the motor clamp, not relying on the 2 tiny grub screws to hold onto the motor with all the thrust it makes on 3 cells.

Have I mounted the motor wrong ?

The battery I want to use is a 3 cell 2200 but is it too heavy ?

I bought the HK 20/30 amp esc and it's ok but needs to be set up every time I switch it on. It has no reverse but it's a plane esc. So i will buy a esc with reverse or maybe use on of my ez run car esc.

Any help much appreciated.
madracer is offline Find More Posts by madracer
Old Sep 08, 2012, 02:42 PM
NORDPAC S3
United States, OR, Estacada
Joined Jan 2009
1,046 Posts
Bad News / Good News

The bad news is I maidened my Swamp Dawg yesterday and flipped it after about 10 minutes. No water proofing what-so-ever. It was inverted for about 12 minutes until rescued.

I opened up the electronics compartment , which was full of water after the rescue, and dried it out yesterday afternoon in 90 degree sun. Again drying it out in the sun this morning.

The good news is I Just plugged in the battery and everything works. Boy, did I get lucky.

Mfpage
mfpage is offline Find More Posts by mfpage
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:07 PM
near Chicago
Joined Apr 2008
276 Posts
I finally got around to hooking up all the electrics on my airboat. The motor just "stutters" or goes around slowly & jerky. I hope HK supports this thing with a replacement.

Hoping to run it around on the snow when we get some.

Chuck
clp.eng is offline Find More Posts by clp.eng