HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 09, 2011, 07:58 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Well it worked ok...but it's very skittish, on a Thunder Power 1300mA 2S battery, Its difficult to get it to track "hands off" with a mix of different throttle settings

The sealant on the hull seams appears to be coming adrift already..Any Idea what sealant would work with Polypropylene..
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Last edited by dekan; Jul 09, 2011 at 08:00 AM. Reason: spelling
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2011, 12:44 PM
Canada, ON, Port Colborne
Joined Mar 2005
122 Posts
I am sure that a good silicone sealant will work, you don't want a permanent filler in case you need to get inside. Did anyone receive instructions with their swamp dog? I don't know where the electronics are supposed to go!
Alex
niterdr is offline Find More Posts by niterdr
Old Jul 18, 2011, 03:48 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
I used silicone sealant in the end...No instructions..

I'm replacing the prop and driver hopefully that should sort out the vibration
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old Jul 21, 2011, 06:29 PM
United States, CT, Manchester
Joined Jan 2007
369 Posts
I have been having a blast with my swamp dawg... I remounted the servo to the back deck and put in a 35a seaking water cooled esc.. Going out tomorrow to see how it runs...
Joe
hotrodder is offline Find More Posts by hotrodder
Old Jul 21, 2011, 06:39 PM
United States, CT, Manchester
Joined Jan 2007
369 Posts
I have been having a blast with my swamp dawg... I remounted the servo to the back deck and put in a 35a seaking water cooled esc.. Going out tomorrow to see how it runs...
Joe
hotrodder is offline Find More Posts by hotrodder
Old Nov 07, 2011, 06:02 AM
Joined Nov 2011
1 Posts
As an absolute nube, I'm flummoxed by the lack of instructions with the Swamp Dawg esp the electronics!

I'd really appreciate advice regarding
1. there are three wires into the motor (red/blue/black) and three black wires out of the ESC labelled A/B/C. Which goes with which?
2.which socket does the steering servo plug go into on the receiver (HK-GT2R)
3. which socket does the red/white/black leads from the ESC (HK20A) go into on the receiver?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Cheers
rustyho is offline Find More Posts by rustyho
Old Nov 13, 2011, 06:23 PM
More Motors, More Fun... :-)
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jan 2008
661 Posts
Build Log at my Blog

Hi, here is another HobbyKing Swamp Dawg Air Boat. Please see my blog for the build.

nioa is online now Find More Posts by nioa
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: VQ Models T-34 Mentor 61.4"...
Old Nov 13, 2011, 07:09 PM
Memento Mori
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Sep 2009
2,920 Posts
I've been looking at maybe purchasing on of these little airboats, I think there pretty cool looking and a nice price. I wanna slap a edf on mine though. I have 50mm fan/motor setup and a 64mm fan/motor setup just laying around. Could be interesting to say the least lol.
Diesel6401 is online now Find More Posts by Diesel6401
Old Nov 15, 2011, 07:42 PM
USA, OR, Portland
Joined Jul 2009
75 Posts
Is anyone looking to part out on of these yet? Mine was shipped the other day with 2 of the same motor mount brackets. 3 hole X 2 hole. Can make one from ply, but would like the stock part. Not sure left or right as there are no instructions. Haven't taken the time to check. Will buy both and cover shipping PM me please.
skymaster62 is offline Find More Posts by skymaster62
Old Dec 09, 2011, 05:00 PM
Heli and E-Plane
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Nov 2010
939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyking213 View Post
BTW, I'm using HK's HK-310 Radio and a Turnigy 1/18th Car ESC so I have reverse if needed.

Cheers,
ScottB
Hi Scott,

I have a FlySky 3 channel Tx which is similar to your HK-310 and just received the Turnigy 1/18th car esc today.

I'm having trouble setting up the ESC, it works fine in reverse but in forward throttle position it's running slow and almost seems like it wants to reverse mid-stream so to speak. I got the programming card and tried various settings but can't get it to run properly.

FYI, I'm using the stock motor which worked fine when I was using a plane 25A esc except with no reverse.

Any ideas or could you point me in the right direction?

Thanks for your help!
jer291113 is offline Find More Posts by jer291113
Old Dec 10, 2011, 10:22 AM
United States, MA, Tyngsborough
Joined Jun 2010
286 Posts
Motor Mount, ESC, Horn ...

1) The official HK photos show the motor mount incorrect, backwards. The motor-mount set-screws will only engage the motor's mounting-collar if these screws are closes to the motor, not the way the picture shows.

2) Used a car ESC, because reverse seems important to a boat that can get into weeds and low branches. Put the controls on right stick Elevator = throttle (fwd/rev). Ailerons = rudder.
Used the HobbyKing.com, Turnigy TrackStar 18A 1/18th Scale Brushless Car ESC, (TTS-18A).
It also gives you an ON/OFF switch so you don't have to open the cover to disconnect the battery when not using.

3) Used the $3, HobbyKing.com "Discover Buzzer" as a boat "air horn", plugged into a spare channel. PRODUCT ID: D-Buzzer

4) Added the $2, 6 LED HobbyKing.com, PRODUCT ID: 6LED-WH as a night-running lights.

5) Added a HobbyKing.com aircraft red/green/white LEDs as navigtion lights.

6) Would be nice to put an FVP (live video, transmitted back to goggles) camera and underwater video camera on some day.
OwlPic is offline Find More Posts by OwlPic
Last edited by OwlPic; Dec 11, 2011 at 11:07 AM.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 12:34 PM
Joined Jun 2010
286 Posts
Things I have learned ...

1) Makes a good winter boat: Run indoor on the carpet, outside on wet grass, snow and frozen pond.

2) Route the motor wires on the outside of the uprights, need all the prop clearance you can get.

3) Lock tight EVERYTHING. Even prop to shaft and motor to mount.

4) Put receiver below black deck and ESC above, but spaced up so water can't get to it.

5) Bottom to side seal came off, right away, used silcon-caulking.

6) Used http://www.corrosionx.com on the engine.

7) The "rudder" ball-connectors are tight when new, ran a rolled-up sandpaper on the inside of the rings to loosen it up.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 12:40 PM
Joined Jun 2010
286 Posts
Turnigy 1/18th ESC

Ran it on my "Elevator" right-for/back stick.

As Turnigy 1/18th ESC instructions say: hold full foward throttle and turn boat's power on, after the ESC beeps calm down, hold full reverse throttle until ESC beeps calm down.

Green light on ESC for forward, red for reverse and yellow for stopped.
Reverse is a lot slower than forward, as you expect for a car.

Set my "throws" in my DX6i to +/- 125%.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 01:09 PM
Heli and E-Plane
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Nov 2010
939 Posts
It turned out that it wasn't the new ESC but one of the winding wires had broken. I was able to re-solder it. Ran a couple of batteries thru her, had a lot of fun for such a inexpensive boat!!!
Old Dec 11, 2011, 01:10 PM
Heli and E-Plane
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Nov 2010
939 Posts
Did you folks need to add any weight to the front of the boat?

Thanks!