SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 18, 2011, 07:06 PM
United States, CT, Manchester
Joined Jan 2007
369 Posts
Looking good there... I just ordered one today at HK, can't wait to get it I have 2c 1050mah lipo batterys and some 3c thunder power lipos that will fit right in..
Joe
hotrodder is offline Find More Posts by hotrodder
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2011, 11:57 PM
Joined Jun 2011
8 Posts
I am not into electronics so I don't know if its motor could hold 3s lipos and what ESC amperes do a 3s lipos need. Anyone pls.
CaptRevs is offline Find More Posts by CaptRevs
Old Jun 27, 2011, 09:18 AM
out of the western sky...
Harbor City, CA
Joined Jul 2003
603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRevs View Post
I am not into electronics so I don't know if its motor could hold 3s lipos and what ESC amperes do a 3s lipos need. Anyone pls.
Well Capt,
While I have not put a watt meter on it I have run it with 3S 850mAh Nanotech Lipos (that's all I use now) many many times (25+) in hot Arizona conditions over 100 degrees F.
Motor comes back warm, not too hot to hold.
I'm using a 1/18th scale car ESC so I also have reverse and I'm using a car radio with a wheel for better control.

The four things that need to be done are;
  1. Balance the stock prop. Mine was close.
  2. Use a screw to hold the hatch down in the rear hole behind the seat. It would be great if they supplied two of the thumb screws instead of one!
  3. Make sure you get both male and female bullet connectors for the motor (it didn't come with them)
  4. Be sure to put a dab of blue loctite on all your screws! Mine have not come loose but some people have reported some looening! I suspect it has to do with the prop balance, or lack of it! ;-)
But so far so good!
Cheers!
ScottB
Skyking213 is offline Find More Posts by Skyking213
Last edited by Skyking213; Jun 27, 2011 at 04:12 PM. Reason: added 4th item!
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:07 PM
Joined Jan 2007
369 Posts
20amp esc that comes with the swamp dog will handle 3s ....
Old Jun 27, 2011, 11:00 PM
out of the western sky...
Harbor City, CA
Joined Jul 2003
603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodder View Post
20amp esc that comes with the swamp dog will handle 3s ....
Mine didn't come with an ESC...
The website says "You will require a 20amp ESC, 1000mAh 2S 7.4v Lipoly battery and your own Tansmitter and receiver (Tx/Rx) to complete this model."
Hmmmmm.....
Skyking213 is offline Find More Posts by Skyking213
Old Jun 28, 2011, 08:17 PM
Joined Jan 2007
369 Posts
I thought I edited my post last nite... No it does not come with the esc... If you look at the one HK recommends it will do 3s lipo...
Old Jun 28, 2011, 08:22 PM
Joined Jan 2007
369 Posts
H-KING 20A Fixed Wing Brushless Speed Controller....
Thats the one I picked up $7.63 ... I already have a spektrum DX6i radio and I always keep there acouple orange spektrum recievers.. I have a bunch of servo's .... Just waiting for my swamp boat to arrive....
Old Jun 30, 2011, 05:54 AM
7up
,ɯǝ ʇoƃ ɐʎ ɟı ,ɯǝ ǝʞoɯs
USA, KY, West Liberty
Joined Jun 2001
1,154 Posts
Just stumbled upon this thread. I am usually a plane guy, but had an itch for a boat. I've been working on my own version I designed for electric and foam and maybe a 26cc version. It is very similar to the Swamp Dawg. The build log, "in progress" is in my blog if anyone would like to check it out.

-Buk
7up is offline Find More Posts by 7up
Old Jul 01, 2011, 12:33 AM
Joined Jun 2011
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyking213 View Post
Well Capt,
While I have not put a watt meter on it I have run it with 3S 850mAh Nanotech Lipos (that's all I use now) many many times (25+) in hot Arizona conditions over 100 degrees F.
Motor comes back warm, not too hot to hold.
I'm using a 1/18th scale car ESC so I also have reverse and I'm using a car radio with a wheel for better control.

The four things that need to be done are;
  1. Balance the stock prop. Mine was close.
  2. Use a screw to hold the hatch down in the rear hole behind the seat. It would be great if they supplied two of the thumb screws instead of one!
  3. Make sure you get both male and female bullet connectors for the motor (it didn't come with them)
  4. Be sure to put a dab of blue loctite on all your screws! Mine have not come loose but some people have reported some looening! I suspect it has to do with the prop balance, or lack of it! ;-)
But so far so good!
Cheers!
ScottB
I appreciate your quote, skyking. Those points that you wrote will definitely help us to properly set up our Swamp Dawq. I will have mine in 3 days. It is now 35,000 feet above the pacific. Cheers!
CaptRevs is offline Find More Posts by CaptRevs
Old Jul 05, 2011, 01:13 AM
Australia, New South Wales, Charmhaven
Joined Oct 2009
22 Posts
got my swampie today and the motor sleeve doesnt fit into the motor mount so now i got to get it reamed out damn it, shouldnt have to do stuff like that, if only HK would get there measurements right
cloudy brian is offline Find More Posts by cloudy brian
Old Jul 05, 2011, 06:25 AM
Australia, New South Wales, Charmhaven
Joined Oct 2009
22 Posts
motor/ESC/battery setup

ScottB, can you post a photo of your motor/ESC/battery setup?

Just wondering how to lay the wires neatly including positioning the stuff in the compartment below the seats.

Thanks Brian
cloudy brian is offline Find More Posts by cloudy brian
Old Jul 05, 2011, 09:56 PM
Joined Jan 2007
369 Posts
Thanks for the tips on the lid and the loctite... I always go over all my screws on my trucks and cars... Never thought of using it on my boats...
Still waiting for my swamp bug to get here...
Old Jul 08, 2011, 10:58 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
My prop is was very out of balance and does not spin true ..it,s not the shaft

I'm going to have to replace it,as the vibration is very high! I have loctited all the screws.. Anybody know what the shaft diameter is ?
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Last edited by dekan; Jul 08, 2011 at 11:06 AM.
Old Jul 08, 2011, 11:22 PM
Joined Jan 2007
369 Posts
The shaft is a .2mm ....... Mine has no vibrations check your grub screws on the prop make sure they are tight...
I fried my esc tonite at the local pond... I put a TP 3s I had for my mini truck and I think with it weight of the battery 120 grams made it nose heavy and was a handful to turn, I got two 2s 1050 that weight in at 70grams and will balance it alot better..
going to throw in a quark 20a esc that I have for one of my mini trucks...
Old Jul 09, 2011, 02:08 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodder View Post
The shaft is a .2mm ....... Mine has no vibrations check your grub screws on the prop make sure they are tight...
I fried my esc tonite at the local pond... I put a TP 3s I had for my mini truck and I think with it weight of the battery 120 grams made it nose heavy and was a handful to turn, I got two 2s 1050 that weight in at 70grams and will balance it alot better..
going to throw in a quark 20a esc that I have for one of my mini trucks...
Do you mean 2.0mm?...The screws are tight...I guess some of props are better than others.
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan