SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 04, 2011, 03:54 AM
New to RC Flying
Pasir Ris, Singapore
Joined Jan 2008
43 Posts
Discussion
HobbyKing Swamp Dawg (AirBoat)

Hi folks, usually hang around the Airplanes section but was enticed by the new product from HobbyKing - Swamp Dawg, an Airboat.

To moderators - not sure if an Air Boat fits under the 'Racing Boats - Electric' section. You may shift it to another section if this is in the wrong place.

Been googling it up and as of 3 Jun 2011 yesterday, was only able to find the sneak peak news where you can find a short unboxing of the Airboat in a 3 minutes clip.

For those of you who are interested in knowing what comes in the box, there will be photos and a list of items received.

Firstly, I am putting up the photos from the website itself here for reference. There is no manual in the box nor on the website yet but if you look at the photos from the site itself, it gives you a clue on how to set it up.

Photos in this post is from HobbyKing.
Jack_Chen is offline Find More Posts by Jack_Chen
Last edited by Jack_Chen; Jun 04, 2011 at 04:00 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2011, 04:21 AM
New to RC Flying
Pasir Ris, Singapore
Joined Jan 2008
43 Posts
The first few photos shows the unboxing. You will notice this rolled up bundle of bubblewrap that is not shown in the parts. Those are my lipo batteries for the boat and sold seperately.
Old Jun 04, 2011, 04:58 AM
New to RC Flying
Pasir Ris, Singapore
Joined Jan 2008
43 Posts
This is the loose parts with the boat. They come in a large sealed plastic bag. I don't know what really comes as standard since there is no manual or parts list to tally them.

So I am putting up photos in my unboxing so you guys can compare what you got against mine.

Reference to the first photo which shows all the parts in the bag:
from top left:
1.safety cage - front
2.safety cage - rear
3.a tiny bag of 8 x 2mm screws
4.plastic tube
5.2 x foam tape and 3 x cable ties
6.propeller with spinner
7.9g servo and parts - also include a servo horn with ball link.
8.vertical fins x 2
9.motor with motor mount
10.carbon fibre with aluminium stand for motor mount
11. Rolled up yellow paper - stickers to decorate your airboat.

Parts required to complete: a 20A ESC, your Tx/Rx and Lipos.
Old Jun 04, 2011, 01:43 PM
out of the western sky...
Harbor City, CA
Joined Jul 2003
603 Posts
Swamp Dawg Maiden

Just got back from Mittry Lake near Yuma AZ.
Got the Dawg done yesterday and "maidened" it this morning!
I got a quick video shot from my 808 #11 720P HD keychain camera velcroed to the bill of a ball cap. Here is the link to it.
HK Swamp Dog Air Boat @ mittry lake (3 min 40 sec)

Impressions?
Not bad, a little tail heavy I think, using a 480 MaH 2 cell NanoTech.
Smaller and lighter than recommended so I think it is going to be better when I get the 1000 MaH cells from HK in a few days.
That may fix the porpoising and get it up on plain a little better...
If not then will need to try a 840 MaH 3 cell I have and see if it runs cool enough for us out here in the desert...
BTW, I'm using HK's HK-310 Radio and a Turnigy 1/18th Car ESC so I have reverse if needed.

I got this primarily as a rescue boat for small seaplanes, will tow about 20 ft of cord and a paddle ball to circle around a flipped plane and snag it then return to shore. May need a little more poop to do that effectively.
I was building a larger AirBoat from a Boogie Board kick board and a 35-36 outrunner when this was announced and thought I'd give it a try!
Cheers,
ScottB
Skyking213 is offline Find More Posts by Skyking213
Last edited by Skyking213; Jun 05, 2011 at 11:56 AM. Reason: I edited the video!
Old Jun 04, 2011, 02:20 PM
Closed Account
Joined Jul 2006
1,474 Posts
Dawq

I'm surprised it didn't flip due to being 7.54" wide. Now for the usage you said for retriever, just 1 size bigger on motor and at least somewhat bigger lipo for juice. Now if you want more speed than the 5 x 5 prop that is on it, just increase pitch . I took a black prop and cut it down and balanced it after cutting it and left the prop ends square on a 2212-6 Balsa outrunner at 2200kv and it moved right on out. Fun to experiment but watch finger tips as i found out with 9 stitches on the finger tip when on bench, i was holding slipped and do smart.
Mikedown is offline Find More Posts by Mikedown
Old Jun 04, 2011, 05:11 PM
Harbor City, CA
Joined Jul 2003
603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by retoabcr View Post
I'm surprised it didn't flip due to being 7.54" wide. Now for the usage you said for retriever, just 1 size bigger on motor and at least somewhat bigger lipo for juice. Now if you want more speed than the 5 x 5 prop that is on it, just increase pitch . I took a black prop and cut it down and balanced it after cutting it and left the prop ends square on a 2212-6 Balsa outrunner at 2200kv and it moved right on out. Fun to experiment but watch finger tips as i found out with 9 stitches on the finger tip when on bench, i was holding slipped and do smart.
Thanks for your input, retobcr!
I've been bitten, too!
Cheers,
ScottB
Old Jun 05, 2011, 12:57 PM
New to RC Flying
Pasir Ris, Singapore
Joined Jan 2008
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyking213 View Post
Just got back from Mittry Lake near Yuma AZ.
Got the Dawg done yesterday and "maidened" it this morning!
I got a quick video shot from my 808 #11 720P HD keychain camera velcroed to the bill of a ball cap.

Impressions?
Not bad, a little tail heavy I think, using a 480 MaH 2 cell NanoTech.
Smaller and lighter than recommended so I think it is going to be better when I get the 1000 MaH cells from HK in a few days.
That may fix the porpoising and get it up on plain a little better...
If not then will need to try a 840 MaH 3 cell I have and see if it runs cool enough for us out here in the desert...
BTW, I'm using HK's HK-310 Radio and a Turnigy 1/18th Car ESC so I have reverse if needed.

I got this primarily as a rescue boat for small seaplanes, will tow about 20 ft of cord and a paddle ball to circle around a flipped plane and snag it then return to shore. May need a little more poop to do that effectively.
I was building a larger AirBoat from a Boogie Board kick board and a 35-36 outrunner when this was announced and thought I'd give it a try!
Cheers,
ScottB
Hey, saw your reply to my post in HobbyKing. Unfortunately, they censored the video link but you have it here, so it's great.

I will be running mine with 1000mAh 2S batts. Looks great in your maiden.

Do you think it needs balancing? I will be fitting mine in that compartment under the seats and let it rip with fingers crossed. Hope to find a nice figure to put up top.
Old Jun 05, 2011, 01:36 PM
Harbor City, CA
Joined Jul 2003
603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Chen View Post
Hey, saw your reply to my post in HobbyKing. Unfortunately, they censored the video link but you have it here, so it's great.

I will be running mine with 1000mAh 2S batts. Looks great in your maiden.

Do you think it needs balancing? I will be fitting mine in that compartment under the seats and let it rip with fingers crossed. Hope to find a nice figure to put up top.
Hi Jack!
I have my batteries as far forward as possible in the under seat compartment which is a couple of inches forward of the CG. My thought is that with the battery I tried for the video being less than half the weight of the recommended battery the CG is most likely aft of the designed CG. The 3 cell 840mAh nanotech weighs very close to the same as the 2 cell 1000s and will have much more power when wanted...
Bench testing is all I've done so far but heat seems manageable, we'll see!
The only complaints I've got so far is the lack of bullet connectors for the motor, I live in a town with no hobby store (75 miles to El Centro, CA), no second thumb screw to secure the rear of the Hatch/seat, I'm just using a small screw, and the none standard prop/collet assembly that makes experimenting with different props a challenge. But overall I still give it a thumbs up!
ScottB
Last edited by Skyking213; Jun 05, 2011 at 01:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jun 06, 2011, 02:07 AM
Harbor City, CA
Joined Jul 2003
603 Posts
Update!
New video with 3 cell 840mAh nano techs!
HK Swamp Dawg with 3 cell 840 mAh Nanotech LiPo (6 min 7 sec)

Much better!
ScottB
Old Jun 06, 2011, 05:51 AM
Closed Account
Joined Jul 2006
1,474 Posts
Dawq

Now that is just right and now for gliding sideways and donuts, have a good day and thanks for the video.
Mikedown is offline Find More Posts by Mikedown
Old Jun 09, 2011, 10:30 AM
New to RC Flying
Pasir Ris, Singapore
Joined Jan 2008
43 Posts
Quote:
Update!
New video with 3 cell 840mAh nano techs!
http://vimeo.com/24705218
Much better!
ScottB
great video there, looks like the heavier batts made it more stable.
Old Jun 09, 2011, 10:41 AM
Harbor City, CA
Joined Jul 2003
603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Chen View Post
great video there, looks like the heavier batts made it more stable.
Yes! You should see it on a calm day! BTW the batteries ar 850mAh 3 cell NanoTechs...
Very nice!
ScottB
Old Jun 11, 2011, 06:33 AM
New to RC Flying
Pasir Ris, Singapore
Joined Jan 2008
43 Posts
Quote:
Yes! You should see it on a calm day! BTW the batteries ar 850mAh 3 cell NanoTechs...
Very nice!
ScottB
Hey Scott, can you post a photo of your motor/ESC/battery setup?

I have assembled the safety cage and mounted the motor and prop. Just wondering how to lay the wires neatly including positioning the stuff in the compartment below the seats.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 08:00 AM
New to RC Flying
Pasir Ris, Singapore
Joined Jan 2008
43 Posts
Untitled (2 min 2 sec)

I maidened it this afternoon.

This 2min video clip shows my brother trying it out after I tested it.

Ran it full throttle for a while and the prop adapter flew loose. Lost a number of 2mm screws from the motor mount as well and the spinner is gone.

Will dry dock it after a while, waiting for spares to come in.

threadlock is very important lesson learnt here.
Last edited by Jack_Chen; Jun 12, 2011 at 09:33 AM.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 09:44 AM
Joined Nov 2007
2 Posts
Thanks for posting this info guys! This little boat has really piqued my interest, when I was a kid there was a Dumas Puddle Jumper at my LHS and I wanted it desperately, but it didn't happen. But I get the feeling this one cud be in my hands sooner than later. I'll be following this thread to see how it progresses.
lawnshedguy is offline Find More Posts by lawnshedguy