HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 04, 2011, 01:34 AM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined May 2005
1,323 Posts
Build Log
OZO new hotwire set up

Hey guys. Been working on a new hotwire power box and fume collection system for my foam cutting. going to do my first official build log of it. Not totally sure to put this here or in the DIY electronics section but since this has to do with foam cutting I think it makes more sense to put it here. If admins feel other wise please feel free to move it.

Ive been doing the hotwire set up for a few years now and each time I've redone my power box to get more and more precises control of the tools I make to do this fun hobby of ours.

My original box was simply a transformer being controlled via a dimmer switch. This worked mostly ok but I always had a very hard time getting the temp low enough to not simply burn a hole in the foam.

My newest box (4th one I think if you count my really crappy first one) combines the power regulation for up to 6 selectable tools, along with an integrated fume collection system and filters.

Why make it so complex? Evolution.... I use a wide range of different tools, each one needing different power needs. My 5 different tools currently range from 11watts to 32 watts of power. My main table uses 11 where as my "knife" needs 14. Not a huge difference but enough that I do have to adjust for.

Why a built in fume collection system? Talk with anyone who has run a hot wire setup for long periods of time. They will tell you that you need good ventilation or you can get really sick or worse. I use a strong blower fan puling the air through several filters including a carbon filter to scrub the air clean.

Now for some pictures.
OutcastZeroOne is offline Find More Posts by OutcastZeroOne
Last edited by OutcastZeroOne; Jun 04, 2011 at 02:32 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2011, 02:02 AM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
Joined May 2005
1,323 Posts
Some pictures of the guts of the power box.

All relays, switches and power plugs are color coded to make it easier to figure out what goes where. I did some test runs on the power supply. The new power board barly gets warm. My old set up only had two larger 5 amp adjustable regulators that would get so hot you could get your hand near them.

The new board has 14 LM317T adjustable power regulators on a custom PCB I made. each IC can handel 1.5 amps of power for a total of 21 amps of power handeling ability. Total power output of the transformers is only 14 amps at 15v ~ 17v but my tools dont go over 8 amps max. Having more smaller IC's rather than a few larger ones has its benefits.

1. Cost, LM317T cost $0.24 each where as the large 5 amp LM338 cost $5.59 each.
2. Heat dissipation. Smaller IC's over a larger area with less load on each IC.
Last edited by OutcastZeroOne; Jun 04, 2011 at 02:28 AM.
Old Jun 04, 2011, 02:10 AM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
Joined May 2005
1,323 Posts
Details of the filter system.

The fan is out of a '92 Dodge Colt. Got it from my local Pick'n Pull for $26. Nice thing about this is that it was designed to pull air through filters and ducting. The fan pulls about 6 amps of power at full power. Each of the transformers can only do 4 amps of power. So to save them from frying I use two. I did a test run letting it run for 20 min at half power and the transformers never got very warm. Just above room temp.

I still need to finish the lid for the fan along with the valve system to open and close the tools in use or not in use.
Old Jun 04, 2011, 02:17 AM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
Joined May 2005
1,323 Posts
Some shots of the power box with most of my tools.

I'm also making a "planer" for cutting my own thickness of material along with a free standing horizontal wire tool for helping me cut out wings from templates easier.
Old Jun 07, 2011, 11:38 AM
Joined Nov 2010
95 Posts
Wow very cool - you really took some pride in that! Do you have a closeup of the PCB or a wiring diagram?
HighwayChild is offline Find More Posts by HighwayChild
Old Jun 07, 2011, 11:54 AM
Foam Av8r
In Teh Garage (Rossville, GA. USA)
Joined Sep 2008
3,348 Posts
very nice professional looking rig however just a tad too complicated for me to even entertain the thought of building one for my self
RogueTitan is offline Find More Posts by RogueTitan
Old Jun 07, 2011, 10:33 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
Joined May 2005
1,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayChild View Post
Wow very cool - you really took some pride in that! Do you have a closeup of the PCB or a wiring diagram?
I dont, and it a pain to pull that sucker back out. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueTitan View Post
very nice professional looking rig however just a tad too complicated for me to even entertain the thought of building one for my self
Meh, if it was easy everyone would have one . I actually work at a high end car stereo shop so this is nothing to me compaired to some of the systems I've done or had to clean up from hole in the wall hack shops :P. My only real problem is that I keep changing my mind on how I want stuff to be.

Right now Im making the valve cover for the vacuum system. Even made my own valves for it too. Yes, I am the crazy one in the shop.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 10:35 AM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
Joined May 2005
1,323 Posts
Over the weekend I made some hand tools for foam cutting. I redid my hot knife and made a servo cutter (for digging out openings for servos ). They are all PCB based. I made them with small termanel blocks to easily replace the wire should it burn out.

going to make a second servo cutter so that I can ahve two tools, one set up for verticle cuts and the other for laying the servo on its side.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 10:24 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
Joined May 2005
1,323 Posts
a bit late, but heres a quick demo of my custom hand tools for my set up to cut out a notch for wing spars (wire runs, also a tool set to the width of my servos not in video but same idea.) and also cutting a hinge for control surfaces.

Custom Hotwire Hand tools (1 min 45 sec)
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:38 AM
Krued Up
United States, MA, Springfield
Joined Jul 2004
4,464 Posts
i thought id seen it all,this is too cool...awsome job and def. keep us posted on the progresssion
snolord1 is offline Find More Posts by snolord1
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:30 PM
I ask a lot of questions.
Canada, AB, Airdrie
Joined Aug 2012
160 Posts
Would it be possible to build in a temp sensor that can auto-control the wattage right at knife PCB? Maybe this way it can micro adjust to make sure the wire is at the perfect temp.
Disco Stew is offline Find More Posts by Disco Stew
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:41 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
Joined May 2005
1,323 Posts
yes it is, but it would be difficult since the temp of the wire is different from the start to the middle. It would also require useing totally different regulators since most thermistors work backwards of what the LM-317 needs to auto adjust like that.

New set up will have the adjustment knobs right at each tool. So if there is build up from useage, temp can be adjusted to keep working or burn off buildup.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:36 PM
Mark
United Kingdom, England, Moreton-in-Marsh
Joined Oct 2012
359 Posts
Very impressive, makes my Heath Robinson attempts look pathetic
mlp666 is offline Find More Posts by mlp666
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:57 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
Joined May 2005
1,323 Posts
looks like it dose a clean job.

The only reason I am making a new version of my set up is simply because of how combersom it is. Ill be combining the table and power supply into a single unit with tool storage along the top for glue and clamps and such. 2' of cutting depth instead of 8", and just taking up less space.

Ive got the new filtration tube and tensioner mostly built. I can only work on it durring lunch breaks so I've got a limited time to do anything.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 04:30 PM
United States, OH, St Marys
Joined Aug 2012
88 Posts
Hey Outcast.
I really like your setup. I was wondering if you had a wiring schematic I could get so that I could make my own. I love to make stuff but Im not the greatest at designing things my self. But Im really good at following a good set of plans.
Thanks
Dave
davec921 is offline Find More Posts by davec921