SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Oct 16, 2011, 03:04 PM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,276 Posts
I think I have done the plug unplug routine over 30 times, no go there. It still says on the robbe box that the device is not connected. When I plug in the usb chord the little red led on the left side of the red sparkfun board right by the tiny white tx letters lights up briefly then the green right by the rx letters on the right for a second, then nothing. I dug into my computer and it is not seeing any connection either. I should be seeing an external E drive if I am not mistaken?
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2011, 06:19 PM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,907 Posts
that's very strange...

"It still says on the robbe box that the device is not connected."
as I said before, whatever the Robbr Box is doing at this stage is COMPLETLY irrelevant, only what you can see in the dos command box is relevant

I unfortunately can't remember what the red and green lights are supposed to do, and I don't currently have a usable usb-ttl adapter to test it

"I dug into my computer and it is not seeing any connection either. I should be seeing an external E drive if I am not mistaken?"
no, it should not show up as a drive, it should show up as COM port... (a COM port is a serial RS232 port, which most computers nowadays don't have anymore... but the installed drivers register the usb-ttl adapter as a virtuall COM port)

you should see it here:
Start->Administrative Tools->Computer Management
this should open the Computer Management Dialog
in the right pan expand the System Tools, and click on device Manager
then search in the right panel for Ports(COM&LPT) and expand that, there you should see some ports
now plugin the usb cable and watch, unplug the usb cable and watch, etc... you should see a COM port appearing and disappering...

However, I am not sure that this is the problem, I mean, avrdude told that bitbang is OK, so it must have talken to the usb-ttl adapter - I think...

I simply don't know what the problem is

maybe... which FTDI driver(s) have you installed? I guess you installed the VCP driver. Maybe you should also install the D2XX driver (http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm).
OlliW is offline Find More Posts by OlliW
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:33 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,276 Posts
I did exactly what you said and it says the device is working correctly under the COM&LPT port. I also downloaded the new drivers. I already had one of them from a previous download.
Yes, it did say the bitbang is ok.
Now that I have the installed drivers how do I initialize them? Sorry, My last post was done when I was totally bushed. I did understand what you said about the robbe box being irrelevant, but I did want you to see what was going on diagnostically so the parameters I can see here were covered.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:46 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,276 Posts
Ok I just ran the commands again. Now it has the :01000000CF30 # you were earlier looking for and it states that the avrdude is done and waiting for commands! Yep, got it!
That last link for the other ftdi driver (D2XX) did it.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 04:50 AM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,907 Posts
ah... really...
you do see now exactly the same as what is shown in the photo in the post nr. 79? [yes/no]
you do see the progress bars progressing? [y/n]
you do see avrdude telling you towards the end "Fuses OK"? [y/n]

please confirm.

You say that since you have installed the D2XX driver, everything works fine and repeatable?

please confirm.

Before we are going to erase the software on the robbe box (so far we have not done any harm), in view of the problems so far I'd like to double-check that really everything is working properly now, so, please do the following check:

Run avrdude as before but now with this command:

avrdude -c ft232sf -P ft0 -p m88pa -U hfuse:r:-:i

note, the difference is that its now hfuse instead of lfuse. Do that and tell me the content of this :01000000.... line
Old Oct 17, 2011, 01:28 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,276 Posts
C:\Users\Randy\Documents\ftdi-avrdude-and-bootloaders>avrdude -c ft232sf -P ft0
-p m88pa -U lfuse:r:-:i
avrdude: BitBang OK
avrdude: pin assign miso 0 sck 1 mosi 131 reset 132
avrdude: drain OK

ft245r: bitclk 230400 -> ft baud 115200
avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e930f
avrdude: reading lfuse memory:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.02s

avrdude: writing output file "<stdout>"
:01000000CF30
:00000001FF

avrdude: safemode: Fuses OK

avrdude done. Thank you.

C:\Users\Randy\Documents\ftdi-avrdude-and-bootloaders>

Now here is what I got doing the last command you asked for. And also the original command. Back to square 1 again.

C:\Users\Randy\Documents\ftdi-avrdude-and-bootloaders>cmd
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

-p m88pa -U hfuse:r:-:i
ft245r_drain called but queue is not empty 1

avrdude: ft245r_program_enable: failed
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

avrdude done. Thank you.
Last edited by Luvmyhelis; Oct 17, 2011 at 03:52 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 01:32 PM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,907 Posts
this looks GOOD.... BUT I won't continue unless you give me the :01000000.... line for the above command (with hfuse)
Old Oct 17, 2011, 02:06 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlliW View Post
this looks GOOD.... BUT I won't continue unless you give me the :01000000.... line for the above command (with hfuse)
Understood mystro! I also changed out escs to a set of 20s I am using on my 450 coax project to see if this made any difference. I noticed the device not connected on the robbe box was gone and I only had fragmented lines. Even eliminating this by changing batts, esc and repetitive usb changes didn't allow me to connect. Frustrating.
This is proof that you computer engineers are worth every penny you get paid.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 02:11 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,276 Posts
Got it.

-p m88pa -U hfuse:r:-:i

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e930f
avrdude: reading hfuse memory:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.02s

avrdude: writing output file "<stdout>"
:01000000DF20
:00000001FF

avrdude: safemode: Fuses OK

avrdude done. Thank you.

C:\Users\Randy\Documents\ftdi-avrdude-and-bootloaders>
Old Oct 17, 2011, 02:37 PM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,907 Posts
OK, OK, OK... you'll got it

CONGRATULATIONS man

so, the next step, and now we'll get serious

you will now burn the other bootloader into the uC... this is just one line, but it's the crucial one!!!

avrdude -c ft232sf -P ft0 -p m88pa -U flash:w:BL_4RobbeProgger_m88PA.hex

the first parts in that command you will recognize, what is different is the last entry, be sure to type it correctly, and be sure that you have the file BL_4RobbeProgger_m88PA.hex in your folder (the _m88pa at the end is the important thing here!)

Then you got that you will check the fuse settings by running the commands

avrdude -c ft232sf -P ft0 -p m88pa -U lfuse:r:-:i
avrdude -c ft232sf -P ft0 -p m88pa -U hfuse:r:-:i
avrdude -c ft232sf -P ft0 -p m88pa -U efuse:r:-:i

and will report back the :01000000.... line entries

PS: ONLY this three lines you need to report back...
Old Oct 17, 2011, 02:41 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,276 Posts
Ok, thanks Olli! Now we are going to start changing actual features inside the unit. If I screw up the commands there is no going back so now it is critical that I get these commands correct.

Time for another cup of coffee! Kinda exited.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 02:54 PM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,907 Posts
don't worry, if you screw up, you just have to redo as long as until it works...

only the first command is crucial... the other ones are just to doublecheck
Old Oct 17, 2011, 03:40 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,276 Posts
Line I program response:
:01000000CF30

Line 2 response :

:01000000DF20

Line 3:
:0100000004FB
Old Oct 17, 2011, 04:31 PM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,907 Posts
GREAT

so, I summarize...
excecuting the first command line avrdude told you that everything is OK
excecuting the second-fourth command line avrdude told you the above lines, whcih are correct

so, man, it seems you did it...

now we can go to the next step, which is flashing the robbe box firmware.

for that you should have in a folder these files:

AVRootloader.exe
AVRootloader.ini
AVRootloader.dev

Olliw_GA250_ProgBox_v014_m88pa.hex

the avrootloader files you can download from Haagens directory (given in the first post), however, for your convenience I have attached them as a zip here, the .hex file you should have found in the latest firmware zip, which is currently olliw-ga250-gyromixer-firmware-v020-014-20110807.zip, which I also have attached for your convennience (you should not need it)

hardware wise you can now disconnect the ESC from the robbe box, and disconnect your self-build ISP-connector from the usb-ttll adapter (the wires to the ISP pins should not be needed anymore, but leave them still soldered to the robbe box for the moment, you never know, let's first do the next test).

instead you connect the original connector-switch-thing to the usb-ttl adapter which you found there originally.

It has also one servo-pin connector which should go using the extension cord into the servo port of the robbe box (PLEASE BE CAREFULL and connect this cable correctly to the robbe box, pay attention to where the GND should go!!!!).

It has also such a two pin connector which can go into the balancer port of any lipo with more 2S or larger (PLEASE BE CAREFULL and connect this plug correctly to the balancer port, pay attention to where the GND should go!!!!).

If you have done this start AVRootloader. Go to the Port combobox and select the COM port which belongs to your usb-ttl adaptor. Set baud to 57600. Go to the FLASH textline and press the "..." button, which allows you to browse for the Olliw_GA250_ProgBox_v014_m88pa.hex file. Do that.

If all this is set up, you can do the flashing. It goes as this:

ensure that the robbe box is not powered. If I remember right, your wire-harnish-thing did come with a key switch, so you don't have to do anything, if it came with a switch, then switch it off.

now you need three hands...
you have FIRST have to click the Program button on the PC screen, you should see that the title line changes to "connecting... blablabla".
you THEN have to press down the left-most key on the robbe box
and THEN you have to power the robbe box, by pressing down the key switch, you should see the title line changeing to "working...."

if you now switch off and on the robbe box you should see its start up message for about 1 second or so...
Last edited by OlliW; Oct 17, 2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 04:39 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,276 Posts
Whoohoo! Yeah. This stuff is actually quite exciting. Having someone like you to tutor me through this is incredible. Thanks OlliW!

Man it feels good to finally get into this and start making some progress! I am going to take a small break, go take some flights to get some logs on my skookum 720 that I am having some accelerometer issues with. Then come and get this to the next level.
Closed Thread