SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Sep 10, 2011, 02:38 AM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,259 Posts
Thanks Olli for a super quick response. I will get through this.
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2011, 02:30 AM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,760 Posts
Hey Randy,

so, let's see whether we can get your box and everything else up running...

may I assume, you

1) have the drivers for the usb-ttl adpater installed

[yes/no]

2) have put these files (from the zip ftdi-avrdude-and-bootloaders.zip) in a folder of your choice

DosCmd.bat
avrdude.conf
avrdude.exe
BL_4RobbeProgger_m88PA.hex

[yes/no]

3) have build this special adapter for connecting the usb-ttl adapter to the ISP pins on the Progbox and have connected everything

[yes/no]

Olli

PS: since the words "programming" and "flashing" are used for different things, and we have two steps in the programming involved, I decided - using the language of the Arduino folks - to call the process of getting the bootloader into the uC, which is what we are doing here, "burning the bootlader"

so, let's burn the bootloader first

PPS: OK, we have to work on our synchronization...
OlliW is offline Find More Posts by OlliW
Last edited by OlliW; Oct 15, 2011 at 05:09 AM.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 04:24 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,259 Posts
I have the drivers installed in my laptop and in one folder. I have an esc that I am using to power up the linked assembly. All the soldering work is completed and I am ready to go. Pretty much down to burning the bootlegger. I am open to getting this done this evening. Your time yesterday was my time at 2am. This works for me!

Got your pm, where do you want to start. I am also using one of the hobbyking turnigy 6a Esc's to easily power the system, plug and play. I just robbed it off one of my coax's. Sadly my older brother came in from Seattle and borrowed my camera for his trip to Italy, so I cannot post up pic by pic progress for anyone following this as I had intended. So with a visual pic trail It wouldn't have been as intimidating to some of the guys as it sounds.
Last edited by Luvmyhelis; Oct 16, 2011 at 03:25 AM.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 03:53 AM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,760 Posts
OK, excellent.

Connect everything and start the DOS command box by running the DosCmd.bat (double click it in the explorer)

Then we will first do a test:
enter

avrdude -c ft232sf -P ft0 -p m88pa -U lfuse:r:-:i

in the cmd box, take care to not mix 1 and l. Tell me what response you get, it should be something like below (I'll take the pictures of Tommy@LA which he posted in the rcline forum thread)
Old Oct 16, 2011, 03:55 AM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,760 Posts
EDIT: if it doesn't work initially, it may be that you have to disconnect and connect the usb cable from the computer a couple of times, you have to wait in between for windows to handle the reconnection process, you may also look at the leds at the usb-ttl adapter, by time you figure out how they should behave for the things work
Old Oct 16, 2011, 04:00 AM
Joined Oct 2010
4,259 Posts
The prog box is powered up, the usb cord is hooked up to the laptop and I am just getting a not connected signal. and when I type in the command into the program it tells me the portname is invalid
Last edited by Luvmyhelis; Oct 16, 2011 at 04:13 AM.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 04:15 AM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,760 Posts
what does "I am just getting a not connected signal" mean? More info would be appreciated ideally you would post a screen shot...
Old Oct 16, 2011, 04:23 AM
Joined Oct 2010
4,259 Posts
On the program box it says Device not connected.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 04:32 AM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,760 Posts
ah... forget about the progbox, we will erase its software and redo it completely from scratch... so just forget for the moment whatever it does... only the info on your laptop screen is relevant

have the electrical connection exactly as in your last foto in teh above, only with the a battery connected to the ESC, then on your laptop open the dos command box by running the DosCmd.bat e.g. by double clicking it in the explorer. Everything else from now on will ONLY run via the dos command box... (or, I will tell you then this is over

OK?

type in the above line into the dos command box and press enter
[don't mix 1 and i and l (lowercase "el"), and I (uppercase "ei"), its lowercase "el"]
Old Oct 16, 2011, 04:35 AM
Joined Oct 2010
4,259 Posts
Got it, I have tried over and over again and it tells me the port name is not recognized as an internal nor external command.
Last edited by Luvmyhelis; Oct 16, 2011 at 04:43 AM.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 04:51 AM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,760 Posts
"it tells me the port name is not recognized as an internal nor external command"

who tells you that?

if it's the dos box ensure that your prompt in the dos box matches your folder in which you have all stuff... (don't run cmd or DosCmd.bat from the windows start menu, open an explorer, go into your folder, and double click DosCmd.bat... this should work)
Old Oct 16, 2011, 04:57 AM
Joined Oct 2010
4,259 Posts
Ahh, ok, I was using the laptop start menu to access the file in my downloads files. So, this is stupid because I have never done this through windows before, how do I access internal files in my laptop by using windows?
Old Oct 16, 2011, 05:02 AM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,760 Posts
just do what I say... open explorer, browse to your working folder, double click DosCmd.bat...
Old Oct 16, 2011, 05:11 AM
Joined Oct 2010
4,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlliW View Post
just do what I say... open explorer, browse to your working folder, double click DosCmd.bat...
The only way I have ever accessed files or can access files that I am aware of in my own laptop is through the startup menu? Teach me oh Yoda master. Mr newbie computer guy here is not on the same page obviously.

The only explorer I am aware of is internet explorer.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 05:33 AM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,760 Posts
OK... yoda tells, chose among one of these options:
i) right click the startup menu button in the task line, a menu pops up, and - at least on my computer - the third entry tells "Explore", click that, now the explorer window opens which has two subwindows, on the left are the folders, on the right is the content in this folder... if you have a different look on the right, press the Folders button in the second menuline, browse to your folder and find DosCmd.bat, and double click it.
ii) that's maybe the simplest way: open the start menu, go to "Run", a window opens, in this window you have a button "browse", click it and teh browse window opens, find your folder and the file DosCmd.bat, select DosCmd.bat and open it by clicking open.

Now a Dos command box (this strange black looking window thing) opens, with its prompt (the "adad>" thing) pointing to your folder.

BTW I have windows XP
Closed Thread