SLO Flyer
San Luis Obispo, CA
Joined Dec 2003
98 Posts
New Product
NEW Sbach 342 1400mm Balsa (ARF) HK

The 1.4m balsa Sbach 342 ARF at HobbyKing is out:

Sbach 342 1400mm Balsa (ARF)

I enjoyed building a 24" WS version out of 3mm Depron with scaled-down plans. Will enjoy bringing her home a big (much bigger) brother to the hanger.
Jaybee is offline Find More Posts by Jaybee
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2011, 08:54 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,265 Posts
I can understand not having airfoiled tail feathers on a 39" but on a 55?

The tail is stretched and not curved properly. The innards look similar to the 39, only bigger with the same flimsy stringers on the bottom of the frame that break if you look at them too hard. The hardware is nice... and heavy. It sure is pretty though.

No. Just... no.
SD One. is online now Find More Posts by SD One.
Old Jun 03, 2011, 09:38 PM
SLO Flyer
San Luis Obispo, CA
Joined Dec 2003
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormdriverOne View Post
I can understand not having airfoiled tail feathers on a 39" but on a 55?

The tail is stretched and not curved properly. The innards look similar to the 39, only bigger with the same flimsy stringers on the bottom of the frame that break if you look at them too hard. The hardware is nice... and heavy. It sure is pretty though.

No. Just... no.
So the verdict is no, huh? Is the non-airfoiled tail the deal-breaker?
Old Jun 03, 2011, 09:45 PM
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,265 Posts
For me, it is. Especially on a plane that size. But more than that, after buying, building and repeatedly crashing the 39" version, I'll pass on this one. I might reconsider after reading some positive reviews from other folks on these forums, but that 39 burned me pretty bad.
Old Jun 03, 2011, 11:26 PM
SLO Flyer
San Luis Obispo, CA
Joined Dec 2003
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormdriverOne View Post
For me, it is. Especially on a plane that size. But more than that, after buying, building and repeatedly crashing the 39" version, I'll pass on this one. I might reconsider after reading some positive reviews from other folks on these forums, but that 39 burned me pretty bad.
Damn. And I was thinking about the 39 too. Thanks for the critical feedback, Stormdriver. Maybe I'll take a wait and see on the 1.4m version. Though if looks count for anything, she sure is a beaut.
Old Jun 04, 2011, 10:38 AM
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined Oct 2008
125 Posts
It's sold out already.....
-Rittmeister- is offline Find More Posts by -Rittmeister-
Old Jun 04, 2011, 10:49 AM
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,265 Posts
I wish them all good luck and godspeed! Or something like that.

They will need godspeed to keep that thing in the air.

Old Jun 04, 2011, 10:54 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,194 Posts
It's easy to be critical of the Hobbyking stuff, no airfoiled tails, a bit heavy, instructions rubbish.. etc etc.. But while this criticism is often valid it does have to be weighed against the fact that their products are MUCH cheaper in comparison to the top draw models that that have all these nice features.

For instance this 55" Sbach might get compared to a 3D Hobbyshop 57" Extra 330 which has nice airfoil tails... but the Extra is 240% more expensive!!!!!!!!!

Of course if like the 39" version this one is so tail heavy in the airframe as to make it so overweight it can hardly fly, then it's bad value no matter how cheap it is!.. I'll keep my eye on the reviews.

Steve
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Jun 04, 2011, 11:40 AM
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,265 Posts
Yeah, that's true. I didn't even look at the price. 122 bucks. That's pretty incredible for a plane that size, and it does include some really nice hardware. Other than my experience with the 39, I still love HK and I couldn't do what I do with as many planes as I have without them. Oh and Nano-techs rock.

However...

Right now, there's a month old Sbach 39 hanging inverted from the ceiling in my garage that I paid around 122 bucks for. It's not going anywhere without a complete tail rebuild to shed the weight of those solid tail feathers. I do not have the knowledge or tools to do that. I'm looking into it but that's why I bought an ARF. So that 122 bucks is doing absolutely nothing right now but looking real pretty in my garage.

The 55" will be around 170 with the cheap shipping or 200 with the good shipping. Man that 51 Slick sure is looking sweet right now and you know, without even a second though, that the 3DHS plane will be right or Ben will make it right. I just cant see HK sending me a revised set of tail feathers anytime soon.

Anyway, I'm watching the reviews too and looking at a few other websites. I don't get it. There are LOTS of 342s in the 73" - 130" range from various manufacturers and they look awesome. Short curvy tails, wings where they are supposed to be, fuses of proper width and all that. They are beautiful and very expensive and I have no desire to build and maintain a plane that size.

Below 73"? Well... there's the Sebart 30E and that's about it.

Maybe Horizon will build something in these size ranges. They've already got the license for the little one.
Old Jun 06, 2011, 12:50 AM
Patras, Greece
Joined May 2007
1,282 Posts
Subscribed.
takiss is offline Find More Posts by takiss
Old Jun 14, 2011, 07:39 AM
STATUS TUNING
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Dec 2010
293 Posts
have one coming, seen a flight model one airborne and it flew well, so well that it is more plane than i could every hope to out fly, knife edge with minimal coupling, hovered with crazy vertical and rolling harriers looked a cinch.

Will update once i have it airborne and tested personally. I will compare it to my QQ yak 49", sebart miss wind 50e and dolphin co sukhoi 57"
STATUS is offline Find More Posts by STATUS
Old Jun 14, 2011, 08:14 AM
Ready, Post, Aim
Cleveland, OH
Joined Nov 2007
5,909 Posts
wedgewing is offline Find More Posts by wedgewing
Last edited by wedgewing; Jun 14, 2011 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Wasn't sure cost between 57 Extra was a good comparator..will observe findings
Old Jun 14, 2011, 02:07 PM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Last edited by blucor basher; Jun 14, 2011 at 02:08 PM. Reason: who cares? If they can't tell the difference in flight performance then they should by cheap planes.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 02:30 PM
NJ
Joined Aug 2003
8,892 Posts
mexico is offline Find More Posts by mexico
Last edited by mexico; Jun 15, 2011 at 08:38 AM. Reason: ..because that's the kind of man Jimmy was.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 03:20 PM
Ready, Post, Aim
Cleveland, OH
Joined Nov 2007
5,909 Posts
wedgewing is offline Find More Posts by wedgewing
Last edited by wedgewing; Jun 14, 2011 at 03:21 PM. Reason: yep, the 240% increase is what made me laugh... brilliant