HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by A Useless Geek, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 03, 2011, 03:25 PM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,543 Posts
Build Log
Gotta Go Faster This Summer

So, I've sorta fallen down on the really fast park jets the last year or so. The indoor/outdoor sport planes have been so much phun that I've ignored the realm of fast park jets almost completely. A couple of my fast projects are coming back to life now that I have everything (except batteries) to finish them.

I considered doing the Multiplex Blue Shark TwinJet first, since it already has servos mounted and such, but I know how much effort will go into getting the motors aligned on that beast. Instead I'll do the Electrifly Firebat first because it's a little simpler and has some features I want to mess with anyway.

My plan is to enhance the maneuverability with my own stiff balsa elevons, separately-controlled anhedral canards, and linked rudders. Needless to say it will be brushless and carbon fiber supported. I'm not going to go nuts with power; I figure 500 watts or so ought to get it moving pretty good. Maybe a little more.

The naked airframe as shown is at 193 grams, so it won't be a lightweight. (By comparison, a good Longhorn is 180 grams all up.) I'm not really worried about weight at this point because I know I can get it to fly fine with the amount of power I have in the motor box. I am thinking I can get this planes put together at 500 grams or maybe a shade less. And that's with an 80 gram motor, so it ought to scoot pretty good.

Stay tuned as this one comes together.

Later:

Okay, so I decided to try something a little less expensive and maybe a little less work than the Firebat for some speed. I have a Haoye Funcat in progress that should go plenty fast and provide all the phun I need until I can get the bigger, faster planes put together. It's being modified to reduce mass, take bigger batteries, and make it slicker, speedier, and better overall.

Right now the naked airframe sits at 119 grams. I am expecting to add 45 grams in electronics, about 30 in motor, and another 90-100 in battery (love those nano-techs!). Add to that the 20 grams or so in hardware, tape, paint, yada yada and it'll be a 315 gram atmosphere-limited rocket ship. I'm hoping for at least 75 MPH. Stay tuned.

Later still:

Well, I've allowed a lot of other things to distract me from the Funcat, but at least I have the whole motor mount issue put to bed. I ended up channeling the aft end of the fuselage/wing center section to allow the 10 mm stick for the mount to sit low in the airframe. It was a lot of work to get it cut in that way, but it gets the motor significantly lower towards the centerline of the wings.

I decided to put a 46 gram Grayson Super Sonic V2 motor on there since I had one lying around from three years ago that never got used. Heh. A HK 35A "Fixed wing" ESC, three HXT900s, an OrangeRX receiver, an APC 6x4 and an aluminum hub get the dry mass up to 271 grams. So, with a 1000 mAH 3S nano-tech pack the plane will fly at 355 grams plus whatever mass the control rods and finishing materials will add. A target of 370 grams isn't out of the question, but the 315 I was looking at originally was just a pipe dream. That plane would have been a slug compared to what I'm gonna turn out now.
A Useless Geek is offline Find More Posts by A Useless Geek
Last edited by A Useless Geek; Sep 26, 2011 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Doing Funcat first
to remove ads between posts