HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 03, 2011, 01:24 PM
Joined Jun 2011
9 Posts
Discussion
This rookies champ should be in tomorrow!

Hey guys, names Pete. I finally ordered a Champ after reading your recommendations for rookies and it should be here tomorrow! I'm in Albuquerque and it's always windy here in the spring but hopefully I'll get a good day soon to get out there. Anyone have recommendations for a good set of basic repair stuff I should get? Thanks guys
ATC Pete is offline Find More Posts by ATC Pete
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2011, 01:34 PM
United States, NY, CENTRAL VLY
Joined May 2011
1,029 Posts
Hey Pete,

Sweet deal, good luck.

I'm new as well and am slowly figuring the essentials to carry along. So far, for me at least, packing tape and a good pair of small scissors gets the most use. A couple of needle nose pliers for adjusting linkages and a pair of tweezers help.

A spare prop and some CA couldn't hurt either.

That's what I've needed so far in about 6 outings with 2 planes and 2 boys.
ausf is offline Find More Posts by ausf
Old Jun 03, 2011, 04:53 PM
United States, WI, Eau Claire
Joined May 2011
1,041 Posts
Head to Walmart and grab one of their dual-temp hot glue guns. Love mine and it's great for everything. Hot glue (on low temp) can fix anything on your cub
banzi28 is offline Find More Posts by banzi28
Old Jun 03, 2011, 07:02 PM
Cedar Rapids, IA
Joined Aug 2010
831 Posts
First of all: Do repairs aiming for the least additional weight.

I loaded my Champ up with tape and heavy glue (epoxy) plus a short, thin piece of bamboo to reinforce the tail after getting stress cracks from many crashes (all my fault). It flew fine but I ended up taping a penny to the front to keep it balanced. ...wrong approach. My son (33, used to model building) helped me remove all that stuff, including the penny.

Use a little foam safe (the kind you'd get from a plane hobby store) CA glue to fix breaks and cracks.

Tape: 3M Scotch brand multi-purpose, gloss finish (same tape that built the Champ)
Small scissors to cut the tape to the size and shape you need (use no extra)
Very sharp edge in cause you need to cut the tape to open the fuselage (see your manual)
...Exacto knife with #11 blades or something equivalent (w/cover)
Needle nose pliers with very small tips (in case you need to adjust the physical trim... see manual)
Foam safe, medium viscosity, CA glue
Toothpicks to make the glue go where you want it to
Pack of Kleenix to wipe off any glue you don't want

That's about it. Stuff you can keep in a sandwich bag in your pocket.

Its nice to have two spare batteries. The 1st can be recharged by the time you've run 3.
About $2.50 from Value Hobby.
GForce 15C 160mAh 1S 3.7V LiPO
http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...=3&item_id=244

Spare parts?

I eventually replaced the prop shaft ($3) after I slammed the Champ into a building; lost my depth perception... all my fault.

If you run the charger on AA batteries (very portable and convenient), I encourage you to use Eneloop rechargables; no need to pour spent AAs into your local landfill.
MiddleMarc is offline Find More Posts by MiddleMarc
Old Jun 03, 2011, 07:22 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
I have flown my Champ since December and NEVER had to repair a thing. Be smart when and how you fly and it will be the trainer that will take you to bigger and better things. I HATE to crash so I'm a bit conservative, in general. I have 6 planes now, had 7 but one was just evil and it met Mr. Trashcan! I have had one memorable crash, 2 weeks ago, but I do believe it was a glitch.. most folks don't admit the reason for the glitch, but I will ... it was a glitch between my stinking ears! Very basic info here ... up is up, right is right, etc, etc, etc!
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Jun 04, 2011, 10:07 AM
Joined Jun 2011
9 Posts
Awesome thanks for the info guys! I'll stock up. Out looking around at garage sales this morning and found a plane called an 'Xtra Easy' never used it box for $20! I snagged it, hopefully it was a good deal. It looks a lot more breakable than my champ so I'll still stick to learning on that.
Old Jun 04, 2011, 04:40 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,961 Posts
Ever go into 71 tattoo Pete? What kinda ATC you still rockin?

Lots of my riding buddies are into the old ATC70's. They throw in big motors, custom paint, some stay stock. Pretty cool stuff. Enjoy your champ!!
wopachop is offline Find More Posts by wopachop
Old Jun 04, 2011, 05:55 PM
Joined Jun 2011
9 Posts
Haha I actually picked the name because I'm an air traffic controller but I did see those and wouldn't mind having one!
Old Jun 04, 2011, 05:58 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,961 Posts
Wow much respect. Thats a tough job. Old girlfriends dad does it over in Lancaster area. Takes a special breed.
wopachop is offline Find More Posts by wopachop
Old Jun 05, 2011, 02:23 AM
Joined Jun 2011
9 Posts
Haha yeah it's an interesting job. Keeps me on my toes.
Old Jun 05, 2011, 07:12 AM
Cedar Rapids, IA
Joined Aug 2010
831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
I have flown my Champ since December and NEVER had to repair a thing...
I guess I could say that now that I've got some experience, I've not needed to repair it at all since (even though I am still flying it). My hat goes off to you to never have had to do a repair! I've concluded that different people learn RC at different rates; some fast, some not so fast. Sadly, I have been (and continue to be) in the not so fast learner camp. So... my Champ has definitely had its share of repairs from my early learning.

Its very durable, but me slamming straight into a small building at full power definitely was outside of its "won't need a repair" space.
MiddleMarc is offline Find More Posts by MiddleMarc
Old Jun 11, 2011, 02:13 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
Soooo, Pete .............. how has the flying been? You must have flown it by now.
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Jun 11, 2011, 11:40 PM
Joined Jun 2011
9 Posts
Haha yeah it took a while for the wind to die down enough! Going great for the most part. Got anxious one day and took it out when it was windy and paid for it. Snapped the wing in half but it went back together just fine with a little ca. Putting together the xtra easy I found at a garage sale and joined the local club who are going to provide an instructor. So that should be done soon!
Old Jun 13, 2011, 01:30 AM
mostly newbie
United States, CO, Centennial
Joined May 2011
263 Posts
Congrats! I love mine.

A tip about wind that wasn't clear to me before my maiden w/ a Champ. I hope to save you some grief.

If it faces the wind it will climb. Once it gets above trees the wind is stronger, and will blow it to Deming. Ok, maybe it'll blow it a few hundred feet.

But... don't fly in wind because the plane will get taken and you'll lose it. I have already read several similar posts about Champs getting lost like that.

Write your name on the fuselage or wing.

Start watching wind patterns. Fly only in dead calm the first several times. Maybe it is often calm in the early morning or late evening?

Hope this helps and have fun!

Michael
shimniok is offline Find More Posts by shimniok