HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

Hobbico Tactic TTX600 2.4GHz 6-Channel Spread Spectrum Radio

This new release by Hobbico is a entry level 2.4 GHz radio. The functionality of the Tactic TTX600 is notable and worth considering at only $99

Splash

Introduction

Channels:6
Version as Reviewed:1.2
Frequencies:2.403 – 2.480GHz
Modulation:FHSS Spread Spectrum
Input Power:4 – AA Alkaline, NiCd or NiMH cells(3.8-8.0V)
Output Power:<0.1W
Power Indicators:LED, with low voltage alarm
Reversing Switches:Slide type – four channels
Trims:Analog – Throttle, Digital – Aileron, elevator and rudder
Antenna:Built-in non-removable
Charge Jack:Built-in (Futaba compatible for use with optional NiCd or MiMH
Optional Mixes:Elevon – V-Tail
Dual Rate:100/60% for aileron, elevator and rudder
Channel 5:Non-proportional on/off
Channel 6:Proportional with dial
Trainer Function:Tactic 2.4 GHz radios only
Weight:1lb 5.2oz /602g with batteries
Receiver:Tactic TR624 Rx
Manual PDF:Tactic TTX Manual
Available from:Hobbico
Retail:$99.98

Following on the footsteps of the TTX 404 4-channel radios, the TTX 600 is a 6-channel radio made with sport flying performance in mind. The TTX 600 includes a 5th channel for retractable gear, a 6th channel for flaps, and a dual rate for ailerons, rudder and elevator. Consistent with the TTX 404 are a wireless trainer system, ball-bearing gimbals, elevon and V-tail mixing, digital trims for elevator, aileron and rudder, servo reverse switches, audible low battery alarm, programmable fail-safe, a charging jack, 6-channel receiver, and Tactic's Secure Link Technology (FHSS spread spectrum). The TTX 600 is both CE and FCC approved and is available in Mode 1 only at this time. For anyone wanting to enter into a high quality sport radio for either electric or fuel, with 2.4 GHz technology, the TTX 600 is an excellent choice at $99.00.

Kit Contents

The TTX 600 comes compete with:

• 2.4 GHz transmitter
  • TR624 6-channel receiver
  • Battery power switch harness
  • 4.8V onboard battery AA battery holder
  • Neck strap
  • Instruction Manual

To use the TTX 600 one needs:

• 4 AA batteries
  • Optional Tactic TACP1000 rechargeable NiMH batteries and wall charger

The Basics

For a 2.4 GHz radio, the TTX 600 offers more than just a few useable features. It is perfect as a one-model radio, but can bind to additional TR624 receivers for more planes. While it will bind to any Tactic Secure Link receiver, each setup will be specific to one plane at a time. The TTX 600 does not have any aircraft memory functions. Overall, the feel of the radio is good. It is lightweight, but looks and feels durable and well made. The finish is high quality. Stick movement is easy, and the stick length is adjustable, but nothing in the manual indicates the stick pressures are adjustable. The throttle does not have a detent click, but is smooth throughout the movement. Channel 6’s dial is clear and easy to access, and channel 5 is close in the upper left corner of the transmitter. The dual rate switch is in the upper right corner of the transmitter. Servo reversing switches are recessed to avoid any accidental movement and are on the lower right front of the radio.

Binding is straightforward with no need for a binding plug. To bind, turn on the transmitter, power up the receiver, and if the receiver LED flashes once and stays on, it is bound. If not, push the bind button on the receiver until the LED lights red, and release the bind button. The LED should stay lit. I was bound right out of the box.

The receiver is excellent and uses single, short, antennae. I was unable to determine the range of the TTX 600. The receiver has no placement limitations outside the norm for receivers.

Low Battery Alarm

There are several nice options with the TTX 600 including the audible low battery alarm. This option will alert the user by flashing the LED and beeping. Of course it cannot discern if the plane is in the air, but should a low battery alarm occur the plane must be landed immediately. I cannot provide how long one has between the first alarm and complete failure, but the TTX does include a fail-safe mode, and as long as the plane still has power the receiver will do two things: First it will drop the throttle (factory pre-set or it is adjustable and assuming the ESC does not have a signal loss feature) and second, it will leave the controls in the last position. Should a radio alarm occur, it might be wise to simply let go of the sticks, manually drop the throttle, and using very slight stick movement, get the plane on the ground. Using this method even if a power loss occurs and the fail-safe kicks in, the plane will still be under some control and in a stable glide.

The Tactic TTX 600 can also use the optional Tactic TACP1000 rechargeable NiMH batteries and wall charger. A plug is provided. Just remember to turn off the transmitter when charging.

Channel 5

Channel 5 is non-proportional and will operate the servo from stop to stop. This is typical of retract servo operations or in some cases it could move a figure, open an canopy, or open bomb doors or pull or push a bomb drop release. The feature is also reversible with a few simple transmitter on/off and rudder stick movements. These worked very easily, and I could reverse the servo per the instructions with no problems.

Channel 6

Channel 6 is proportional and operates a servo throughout its range of motion. Typically, this is for flaps, but could be incorporated into a camera for movement, flap doors, or perhaps realistic elements added for fun. This channel also has reverse and uses the slightly modified method for reversing Channel 5.

Dual Rate Switch

This switch is pre-set and allows you to reduce the travel of the elevator, rudder and aileron servos simultaneously from 100% to 60%. This is a great feature for someone learning to fly as a simple flip and the servo movement is reduced for take-offs and landings. At 100% aerobatics are possible.

Wireless trainer Function

This feature is intriguing and seems to simplify the aspect of using a second Tactic (only) 2.4 GHz radio for training purposes. As is the case with most trainer setups, the trims must be consistent on both radios. The setup radio is the trainer radio and a secondary radio is the student radio. Place the two radios within 1-meter of each other, set the throttle sticks to zero and power up the student radio. Hold the trainer switch on the trainer radio and turn on that radio. The LED on the trainer radio will flash three times indicating the two radios have linked. Once the trainer switch is released the receiver can be powered on. To return to normal operation, power off the plane and place both transmitters within 1-meter of each other and power both transmitters off. This breaks the link.

Elevon and V-Tail mixing

This is an outstanding feature of the TTX 600 that provides the radio with much more functionality than many entry level radios. While you do not have model memory, you can purchase additional receivers for about $30 each and re-bind to each plane.

Setting the elevon and V-tail mixes require you to bury the sticks into the lower right and left corners of rudder and elevator respectively. It is a little sensitive to making sure these are exactly in the corners. If you get it wrong just do it again and listen for the beeps.

Fail-safe

Fail-safe mode can be modified but only for the throttle position. The last known position of the control surfaces are engaged, but you can set the throttle easily. The only limitation is when using a signal loss ESC that will drop the throttle and therefore render the failsafe throttle setting unnecessary. The factory default is 0% in the event of a power loss.

Range Checking

There is no specific function for range checking outside the normal distance procedure. It is suggested that you have someone hold the model and then move the transmitter 100-feet away and while pointing the transmitter directly at the model check for accurate control surface movement.

Video

Tactic TTX Video

Is This For a Beginner?

The TTX 600 is certainly for those wanting to venture into 2.4 GHZ, but with perhaps only one or two planes in their hangar. It has great functionality, and while I did not take it to the field, I have no reason to believe it will not work well. I already have plans for the installation of this radio in a small electric. The programming was easy to understand and works perfectly, the low battery alarm and fail-safe are excellent components, and when you add in channels 5 and 6 plus elevon and V-tail mixes you have a really nice radio.

Conclusion

Tactic electronic equipment continues to meet the demand of hobby flyers. I can assure you the product is well designed, and comes with a full one year warranty that begins on the date of purchase. I bench tested mine with micro through full size servos and in an ESC and glow battery configuration with nothing but success. The extras like a neck strap and battery switch, plus programming options are well worth the purchase price.

Plus

• Programming
  • 6 channels
  • Audible alarm

Minus

• No stick tension adjustment mentioned
Last edited by 78dave; Jun 18, 2011 at 07:04 AM..

Discussion

Old Jun 19, 2011, 07:13 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
4,977 Posts
Nice looking system at a very reasonable price point. Thanks for a very thorough review of this new 6-channel TX.

Your pictures show a Mode 2 system (throttle on the left stick) but your introduction mentions that the radio is only available in Mode 1 (throttle on the right stick). Tower site also shows a Mode 2 system. Since most USA flyers use Mode 2, I'm guessing you meant to say the system was only available in Mode 2 at this time.

McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Jun 19, 2011, 12:01 PM
kill your idols
utica new york
Joined May 2009
1,819 Posts
at 99 these are no deal. id say you would be better off taking a turnigy 9ch radio with rx for much less

also im sure the rx units will be hard to find within a few months like most other flash in the pan 2.4 radios

at least we know that the turnigy will be around for a while due to the fact that manufacture is also retailer and hence in the money
ZEROSKIN76 is offline Find More Posts by ZEROSKIN76
Old Jun 19, 2011, 12:51 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
A bit pricy for a "Me too basic system" which might become "orphan" at any time and not compatible with any other 2.4Ghz system. If one needs a one off Tx/Rx combo there is plenty of cheaper alternatives!
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Jun 19, 2011, 10:18 PM
Suspended Account
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jul 2005
2,490 Posts
Biggest problem I see is that it has no memory for multiple models. I'm not sure that the Turnegy 9 channel radio does either but it looks like it has more functionality than this one.
TopSpin is offline Find More Posts by TopSpin
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 19, 2011, 10:26 PM
kill your idols
utica new york
Joined May 2009
1,819 Posts
not only does it have multi model but also allows for hacked dsm2 modules

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpin View Post
Biggest problem I see is that it has no memory for multiple models. I'm not sure that the Turnegy 9 channel radio does either but it looks like it has more functionality than this one.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 05:16 AM
Dr. Dave
USA
Joined Nov 2005
1,316 Posts
Yes, my mistake on the Mode 2. It should read Mode 1 only. Mode 2 is not being produced at this time.
78dave is offline Find More Posts by 78dave
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 20, 2011, 07:18 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
Still not a good deal
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:26 PM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
7,791 Posts
"at 99 these are no deal. id say you would be better off taking a turnigy 9ch radio with rx for much less

also im sure the rx units will be hard to find within a few months like most other flash in the pan 2.4 radios

at least we know that the turnigy will be around for a while due to the fact that manufacture is also retailer and hence in the money"
I would have to agree , makes me think its a simple "private lable version of a less value Turnegy with a double markup --factory +Hobbyco to consumer
Ldm is online now Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Jun 21, 2011, 07:36 AM
kill your idols
utica new york
Joined May 2009
1,819 Posts
tatics radios are frysky i was told but i could be wrong.

if they are frysky that would make last poster correct as most of the hk brand radios are repackaged frysky radios (except for turnigy 9ch)

ultimatly i cant see these doing well when any of us can get a dsm2 dx6i for 110 shipped used in vg condition
Old Jun 21, 2011, 12:18 PM
Joined Nov 2010
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEROSKIN76 View Post
tatics radios are frysky i was told but i could be wrong.

if they are frysky that would make last poster correct as most of the hk brand radios are repackaged frysky radios (except for turnigy 9ch)

ultimatly i cant see these doing well when any of us can get a dsm2 dx6i for 110 shipped used in vg condition
Walkera make a model with a screen at 69$.... Way better.
mast3rbug is offline Find More Posts by mast3rbug
Old Jun 24, 2011, 09:45 AM
Joined Aug 2010
56 Posts
Hi all,

For a beginner what cheaper alternative would you recommend and are you guys talking about Hobby King the place to purchase the TURNIGY's? My set up will be in the near future skywalker with dual cameras one with pan and tilt not to mention GPS and hopefully autopilot with the 1.3 800MW or under
ajusaf is offline Find More Posts by ajusaf
Old Jun 27, 2011, 07:55 AM
Joined Oct 2003
915 Posts
This is the kind of review I would expect to find in an R/C car mag. The kind where any shortcomings are overlooked, and any positives are played up.
robster94gt is offline Find More Posts by robster94gt
Old Jun 27, 2011, 09:07 AM
living in Japan member
Belgium (Europe)
Joined Oct 2002
393 Posts
no helicopter modes ?
anatak is offline Find More Posts by anatak
Old Jun 27, 2011, 09:30 AM
kill your idols
utica new york
Joined May 2009
1,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robster94gt View Post
This is the kind of review I would expect to find in an R/C car mag. The kind where any shortcomings are overlooked, and any positives are played up.

so true!

i was fully expecting to read runs off batteries for convenience somewhere, or now with 2 sticks!