HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 21, 2012, 01:29 PM
Registered User
Gwalch's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Inverleigh
Joined Mar 2004
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
I found it. You'll find quite a bit of info in this area of this thread. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1405 Search that thread for "launch" to find more.

Here's a video linked to from that thread.

http://vimeo.com/12606548
When this video first came out I PM'd the poster about his hook location... here was the reply:

Gday m8 ,
I drilled mine directly inline with the leading edge of the wing , it is forward of CoG but that works well for me .
Hope it helps m8 , Its a great plane to bungee up , you will love it .
Regards
Bob
Gwalch is offline Find More Posts by Gwalch
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:26 PM
Fighting Gravity
bonnie9496's Avatar
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jan 2011
550 Posts
Just completed the build of my first Speedo.
Thanks for the information provided by all in this thread so far. Using a 240mAH Lipo which I had on hand which tucks neatly in the nose, receiver under the wing saddle, rare earth magnet for canopy and added 61grams of lead to nose to get CG.
Yet to maiden.
bonnie9496 is offline Find More Posts by bonnie9496
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:57 PM
Registered User
Gwalch's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Inverleigh
Joined Mar 2004
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnie9496 View Post
Just completed the build of my first Speedo.
Thanks for the information provided by all in this thread so far. Using a 240mAH Lipo which I had on hand which tucks neatly in the nose, receiver under the wing saddle, rare earth magnet for canopy and added 61grams of lead to nose to get CG.
Yet to maiden.
Just make sure you set up some dual rates.. coz these things can get very twitchy with too much throw.
I usually have max throw on all surfaces.. but with this I have had to dial it down quite a bit to keep it happy.
Now it just rockets along!!

Oh and good luck for the maiden!!
Gwalch is offline Find More Posts by Gwalch
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:54 AM
Fighting Gravity
bonnie9496's Avatar
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jan 2011
550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwalch View Post
Just make sure you set up some dual rates.. coz these things can get very twitchy with too much throw.
I usually have max throw on all surfaces.. but with this I have had to dial it down quite a bit to keep it happy.
Now it just rockets along!!

Oh and good luck for the maiden!!
Thanks for the tip, have set rates as per this thread, so will start on low. Will report in after my maiden
bonnie9496 is offline Find More Posts by bonnie9496
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:02 AM
Fighting Gravity
bonnie9496's Avatar
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jan 2011
550 Posts
Successfully maidened the Speedo in perfect onshore 12-14mph winds.
The model needed some quick elevator trim adjustment "up" initially and flew for about 5 minutes. Landed without issue and removed 5 grams of lead and retrimmed. (now 56g)Subsequent flights went well and the Speedo performed nicely.
Did have a small incident though when my modified Z bend control linkage to the elevator slipped through servo horn , but the gods smiled kindly on me as the Speedo sand darted into an area of beach free from rocks!

After securing linkage flew for another hour and still had power remaining in my Hyperion 2S 240mAH battery.

Looking forward to fine tuning the setup in time
bonnie9496 is offline Find More Posts by bonnie9496
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:55 AM
Fighting Gravity
bonnie9496's Avatar
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jan 2011
550 Posts
A few more flights on the Speedo today in 15mph winds. Trying a few aerobatics and finding the Speedo not responding as I thought. Try to do a roll and the models gets way out of shape and stalls. Loops are very messy and once again the model gets way out of shape. On one loop the model stalled and ended up crashing onto the sand dune. Cracked fuse and br0ken wing bolt. Can repair with glass mat and carbon tissue. I pressume my setup needs adjustment?? Any advice welcome.
bonnie9496 is offline Find More Posts by bonnie9496
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:16 AM
I DS slower than I build!
Cory's Avatar
Idaho Falls
Joined Jul 2006
2,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnie9496 View Post
A few more flights on the Speedo today in 15mph winds. Trying a few aerobatics and finding the Speedo not responding as I thought. Try to do a roll and the models gets way out of shape and stalls. Loops are very messy and once again the model gets way out of shape. On one loop the model stalled and ended up crashing onto the sand dune. Cracked fuse and br0ken wing bolt. Can repair with glass mat and carbon tissue. I pressume my setup needs adjustment?? Any advice welcome.
What are your balance point, control throws, and decalage set to? Is there any chance of twist in the wings, including positive washout? Also, what's your experience level?
Cory is offline Find More Posts by Cory
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:08 PM
Silent Flight
Twyl's Avatar
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Basically what Cory said. The more info we have the better we can help.

Your roll issues you had may be due to differential, but before you get gungho on adjusting differential, make sure your aileron throws are equal on both right and left wings for both the up and down travel and as Cory said, check for wing twist or washout.

EDIT: by equal I don't mean equal up travel to down travel, but if the left aileron goes up X amount when you roll left, when you roll right the right aileron should go up the same X as the left did. Same for down throws.

For your loop issues, your elevator throw rates might still be too high and your CG might be off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnie9496 View Post
Try to do a roll and the models gets way out of shape and stalls. Loops are very messy and once again the model gets way out of shape.
Additionally, a bit more detailed description of how the plane peformed instead of "way out of shape" and "very messy" might help as well.

She's a fun plane and a good one to learn on so dive in and get her repaired. The worst thing that will happen is you'll get better at repairing fiberglass.

-Jonathan
Twyl is offline Find More Posts by Twyl
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:49 PM
Registered User
Gwalch's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Inverleigh
Joined Mar 2004
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twyl View Post
Basically what Cory said. The more info we have the better we can help.

Your roll issues you had may be due to differential, but before you get gungho on adjusting differential, make sure your aileron throws are equal on both right and left wings for both the up and down travel and as Cory said, check for wing twist or washout.

EDIT: by equal I don't mean equal up travel to down travel, but if the left aileron goes up X amount when you roll left, when you roll right the right aileron should go up the same X as the left did. Same for down throws.

For your loop issues, your elevator throw rates might still be too high and your CG might be off.


Additionally, a bit more detailed description of how the plane peformed instead of "way out of shape" and "very messy" might help as well.

She's a fun plane and a good one to learn on so dive in and get her repaired. The worst thing that will happen is you'll get better at repairing fiberglass.

-Jonathan
As the others have said.. check your CoG and throws.

I found with the elevator throws too high that it would not loop.. dropped them down and away she went.
Gwalch is offline Find More Posts by Gwalch
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:18 PM
I DS slower than I build!
Cory's Avatar
Idaho Falls
Joined Jul 2006
2,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwalch View Post
As the others have said.. check your CoG and throws.

I found with the elevator throws too high that it would not loop.. dropped them down and away she went.
For example, I fly with a CG of 80 mm back from the LE and elevator throws of +- 2mm. It flies very nicely there. I have had +-4mm on high rates and it is too much. It can cause an accelerated stall if I pull back hard into a loop. Throws are dependent on CG. A CG that is way ahead if where I have it will need longer throws. I've heard of some guys flying at 65mm (I don't know why anyone would want to do that!). +_2mm would not be enough for that CG.
Cory is offline Find More Posts by Cory
Last edited by Cory; Nov 30, 2012 at 04:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:27 PM
Fighting Gravity
bonnie9496's Avatar
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jan 2011
550 Posts
Thanks for thye replies.
Have been flying for 3 years and know quite a bit though not a lot! Will reassemble model once repaired and report back on CG etc
I thought I had it trimmed out nicely?? Certainly was flying nice and level and banked quite well in the turns.
bonnie9496 is offline Find More Posts by bonnie9496
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:08 PM
Silent Flight
Twyl's Avatar
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnie9496 View Post
Thanks for thye replies.
Have been flying for 3 years and know quite a bit though not a lot! Will reassemble model once repaired and report back on CG etc
I thought I had it trimmed out nicely?? Certainly was flying nice and level and banked quite well in the turns.
The only true way to find the correct CG is to do the dive test. For aerobatics I don't think I'm going out on a limb if I say most prefer a neutral dive. A neutral dive would be the plane neither ducks or pulls up out of a 45 degree dive.

Good luck on the repairs and feel free to post up some pictures of the process so we can cheer you along.

-Jonathan


Stolen from somewhere long ago (my preference is B, D is probably some thermal dudes view of whats ideal):

Twyl is offline Find More Posts by Twyl
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:40 PM
I DS slower than I build!
Cory's Avatar
Idaho Falls
Joined Jul 2006
2,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twyl View Post
The only true way to find the correct CG is to do the dive test. For aerobatics I don't think I'm going out on a limb if I say most prefer a neutral dive. A neutral dive would be the plane neither ducks or pulls up out of a 45 degree dive.

Good luck on the repairs and feel free to post up some pictures of the process so we can cheer you along.

-Jonathan


Stolen from somewhere long ago (my preference is B, D is probably some thermal dudes view of whats ideal):

"Some thermal dude"? I beleive that diagram comes from a Dr. Mark Drela article on the Charles River RC club site.
Cory is offline Find More Posts by Cory
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:13 PM
Silent Flight
Twyl's Avatar
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
"Some thermal dude"? I believe that diagram comes from a Dr. Mark Drela article on the Charles River RC club site.
Who's that?

<Interlude while Google gets whipped around>

Ahh, interesting. HERE's the original article so it would seem. It turns out I was correct though and he is a thermal dude or at least that's the type of flying he indicates in the article.

-Jonathan
Twyl is offline Find More Posts by Twyl
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2012, 06:02 PM
Fighting Gravity
bonnie9496's Avatar
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jan 2011
550 Posts
Thanks guys for the feedback..

Repairs to fuse effected and the Speedo looks good again.
Have lessened the elevator throws to 3mm up and down.
Checked the CG and It was back at 81mm. Hmmmmmm and I flew so well? Just not aerobatically. Adding more weight to nose to get it to 70mm mark. Will then report back after next flight.
bonnie9496 is offline Find More Posts by bonnie9496
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! instruction manual kiter32 Radios 1 May 14, 2011 07:00 PM
pz p51 instruction manual EDFPILOT Non R/C Items (FS/W) 2 Apr 04, 2011 01:44 PM
Wanted: Instruction Manual for SR Cutie Rudderman98 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Jul 23, 2002 09:39 AM
needed: Instruction manual for FMS Supernova 250S Keitha Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 3 Jun 18, 2002 07:11 PM
bandit instruction manual tqpham Electric Sailplanes 3 Mar 27, 2002 06:24 PM