SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 29, 2001, 05:51 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,508 Posts
Scott, I think this is a mute point for this specific thread. You may be reading into my post too much. I'm not saying it is "wrong" to suggest brushless.

However, we are talking about a fist time multimotored project, and somebody who is asking advice on how to set one up. If you read the threads that I am responding to, you will see where I'm coming from and that I'm responding to a specific question.

"Am I cheating a little???" Look back and see what post I'm referring to. The system I list for price comparison is the same one quoted earlier. I actually brought the price down by not using the 3000 cells suggested, and going with a more comparable 2400 cell. And, yes, I was responding to a 40 cell suggestion in that post (a good suggestion I believe for brushless). It's gonna take a lot of gremlin chasing to run wire along a 130 inch wing for brushless setups, with today's controllers (ie. sharing brushless ESC's) without blowing a 100 dollar controller every other day. From what I've seen in much simpler setups, wire length (or lack thereof) is critical in reducing feedback and RF harmonics. This is why 10 cells per motor would probably be needed in this case, located in the engine cowling right next to the ESC. "Apples to apples" comparisons mean both models, the brushed setup as well as the brushless, have to work reliably too.

BTW, I do like the Jeti motors and controllers, and their prices. They would be a nice setup I believe for somebody so inclined to experiment.

Ed
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2001, 08:22 PM
Louisville,KY
Joined Jan 2001
135 Posts
tmpalfalvi,
What is your opinion of the Palmer plans. I was thinking of getting a set.
Thanks
Ken
KAMarks is offline Find More Posts by KAMarks
Old Nov 07, 2001, 12:20 PM
Exton, PA, USA
Joined Jul 2001
35 Posts
Ken,
The C-130H is my second Palmer plan. The first was the OV-10D Bronco. Both plans are detailed and come with a complete construction manual. The manual is descriptive and most modellers should have little difficulty. The only drawback is that there are no construction pictures to refer to in the construction manual. The plans use alot of wood and all items are standard off the shelf items. Engine pods and nose cones are fiberglass. The construction manual indicates where to order fiberglass and other parts from. Overall I am very pleased with both plans and the OV-10D (gas powered) looks and flies great.

Construction on the AC-130 is going slow can't seem to convince the boss that this is more important then the projects at work. To date the warren truss fuselage is done and work on the cockpit should begin this weekend. This thing is going to be a monster, they always look smaller on the plans.

Ted
tmpalfalvi is offline Find More Posts by tmpalfalvi
Old Nov 07, 2001, 04:44 PM
Electriaddict
Melville Saskatchewan Canada
Joined Mar 2001
1,579 Posts
I think I have the video of that giant b-29 with the bell x-1 rocket powered underneath it
dorysch1 is offline Find More Posts by dorysch1
Old Dec 07, 2001, 12:22 PM
Exton, PA, USA
Joined Jul 2001
35 Posts
Sorry about not keeping up with updates but working for a startup company really kills your free time. Anyway the project is coming along very slowly . Most of the work has been in trying to lighten up the model. The original truss frame has been discarded (to heavy). The new frame is complete and fuselage formers are in the process of being glued on. Working on a redesign of the main gear mounts (plans call for 1/4" ply). The retract system and 6 wheels adds most of the weight to the fuselage.
I think I may have a power system for the beast. I already have 2 jeti 150 controllers for brushed motors. How does 4 Graupner GR3308 motors mounted to Gaupner 2:1 gear drives sound? Specs listed for the gear drive with the above motor are:
14 cells
303 watts
8.3K rpm
11x8 prop
53 oz thrust
31 amps
I'll try to get pictures posted soon

Ted
Old Feb 27, 2002, 09:29 AM
Exton, PA, USA
Joined Jul 2001
35 Posts
Here are some pictures of the fuselage minus the nose section. I am still waiting for the pneumatic retract system to arrive. The fiberglass engine pods and 1/2 the propellors have arrived. I have not done any work on the model lately, the nose/cockpit are really frustrating to build. Three attempts have been made with poor results, mostly trying to bend balsa into the proper shape only to have the balsa break or go back to its original shape.
Old Feb 27, 2002, 09:36 AM
Exton, PA, USA
Joined Jul 2001
35 Posts
Facing aft
Old Feb 27, 2002, 10:03 AM
Electriaddict
Melville Saskatchewan Canada
Joined Mar 2001
1,579 Posts
Try carving it from foam and hollow it out if youwant with a hot knife or something
dorysch1 is offline Find More Posts by dorysch1
Old Feb 28, 2002, 08:47 PM
Huntington Beach, CA
Joined Dec 2001
264 Posts
I'm building the smaller version of this same C-130 out of balsa first... if its not too bad, I'll make a second, and create a fiberglass fuselage to use. I'm sure I can make it lighter, and stronger. The fuse uses a lot of spruce in it.

david
dizza is offline Find More Posts by dizza