HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 24, 2003, 11:12 PM
Burnin' holes in the sky!
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2003
2,848 Posts
Mine is getting there....

Just to show you fellas that an ok website is possible using only freeware (ok, the logo was made using a paint program, but that could easily be found for free) and having limited knowledge of HTML, Javascript, etc. It is not even close to being done, but it is a good start. Check back for updates!

www.o-t-e.cjb.net

Dan
SkyPyro is offline Find More Posts by SkyPyro
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2003, 04:57 PM
Profiled Interfractionalist
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
4,000 Posts
Are you aware that this 'Gator Garbage' pops up from within your site ?
William A is offline Find More Posts by William A
Last edited by William A; Mar 03, 2014 at 03:24 PM.
Old Sep 02, 2003, 05:41 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2003
2,848 Posts
Ugh, unfortunately, yes. I haven't had the Gator one popup yet, but it is because my website has a free cjb.net redirect. Popups come with the free redirect. If you go to the main site, www.skypyro.rchomepage.com (same thing as the other one BTW, just different address) then there are no popups. I am trying to find some javascript or something to prevent popups, but with no success. Also, do you guys like the frames? I personally like them,,, but only if dimensions are right.

Dan
Old Sep 02, 2003, 07:48 PM
Seattle
Joined Mar 2003
850 Posts
Just say no to popup's...

Hope this helps:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=146413

Jason
cobalt is offline Find More Posts by cobalt
Old Sep 05, 2003, 01:59 PM
Monte Cristi - Dominican Republic
Joined Sep 2000
855 Posts
Looking good SkyPro! Just so you know, no need for the www before your address, skypro.rchomepage.com is enough. Also, why not just let us host your domain, then you won't even need a re-direct. Email Joe (jreed@rcgroups) to get it set up.

I did a little work on my site too over the three day weekend. Still far from finished, but it's got some neat stuff on it. I am an ex- graphic designer who owns Photoshop, so I have a little advantqge

http://jnowell.rchomepage.com

Jason
jnowell is offline Find More Posts by jnowell
Old Sep 05, 2003, 05:00 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2003
2,848 Posts
Wow, I love you website! Great graphics, too

I have a few questions I thought I would post here so other people can see too. How much is the domain hosting? Is it a straight .com or other, or would it be a subdomain? Would all my stuff be transferred over, or would it be a kind of like the CJB.net thing?

BTW, you have no idea how many times I have gotten Skypro It is actually SkyPyro, for burning holes in the sky

Thanks in advance,

Dan
Old Sep 05, 2003, 05:11 PM
Joined Sep 2000
855 Posts
Dan,

That's funny, I guess the old mind just saw pro, normally Pyro would stand out to me

As with everything at RC Groups, domain hosting is FREE! You might be our test dummy (no offense intended) as I don't think we have done this yet, but Joe's a smart guy, so we'll just dump that in his lap

We have our own DNS servers, so all you have to do is register your domain, and make your primary and secondary DNS entries match our server...I will get you that info soon.

It takes a few days for everything to change out in internet land, but it would get rid of that Gator stuff for you.

I am creating a nice "Site Hosted for FREE by my freinds at RCGroups.com" graphic for your sites as well. I'll post a new thread in this forum with the image and it's usage tonight.

Thanks, and keep up the good work on your site.

Jason
Old Sep 05, 2003, 05:32 PM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jnowell
We have our own DNS servers, so all you have to do is register your domain, and make your primary and secondary DNS entries match our server...I will get you that info soon.
Okay, sounds like "hosting the domain" is another detail I was unaware of. RCGroups is already hosting sites. What is involved with hosting domains?

Reading here, registering a domain is usually $25-35. Is this a per year fee? All web pages I've maintained in the past were the guided tour, "we do everything for you except content in exchange for banners, etc" packages. The raw underpinnings of the web/internet are unfamiliar and complex, though I imagine the power & flexibility make it worth learning what's going on.

Karl
Karl Bē is offline Find More Posts by Karl Bē
Old Sep 05, 2003, 05:53 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2003
2,848 Posts
Sure, I would love to be a test kinda-dummy What do I do to set the domain up? Do I just have to PM or email Joe? Also, is a website open if it displays the "Cannot be displayed" page? IE, it looks like www.ote.com is reserved, but www.o-t-e.com is not. Is this right?

Thanks again,

Dan

BTW, glad to hear about the logo. As you can see, I have an RCGroups logo in the bottom frame, but it kind of fits weird. What format will you post it in? May I suggest GIF, as it resizes much better than JPG and is usually smaller than BMPs.
Old Sep 05, 2003, 06:15 PM
Profiled Interfractionalist
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
4,000 Posts
SkyPyro, who is the artist in that music track ?
William A is offline Find More Posts by William A
Old Sep 05, 2003, 06:21 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2003
2,848 Posts
It is a big huge remix. I have found that pretty much everyone likes that one It is also a great one to put a freestyle routine together on Realflight, too.

Dan
Old Sep 05, 2003, 06:22 PM
Joined Sep 2000
855 Posts
SkyPyro,

The "Official" place to check on domain names is http://www.networksolutions.com

I would suggest buying the domain somewhere else though, there are hundreds of companies that will register it for about $10.

Jason
Old Sep 05, 2003, 06:46 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2003
2,848 Posts
Great,,, now I am really confused I thought that was what you said you could provide? Man,,, I'm getting dizzy Could you kind of define what the free domain hosting is?

TIA,

Dan
Old Sep 05, 2003, 08:25 PM
Senior Moment Member
Virginia Beach, Va.
Joined Jan 2002
1,233 Posts
Skypyro,
Mine is already hosted at RCGroups, but you could be TestDummy #2.

My domain is registered at bigdaddy.com. When I got mine they had a sale on .us extensions, just $4.95 per year. They are the cheapest registrar I have found, and can do the .ws, .info, .us, etc. extensions so you may have a better chance at a name you like. Another low cost registrar is web.com.

After you register a domain just point the name servers to:
nsi.jimbourke.com and ns2.jimbourke.com, piece of cake.

So my URL is www.rcstuff.us, rather than jnuget.rchomepage.com.

Jimmy
Capt. Electron is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Electron
Old Sep 05, 2003, 08:33 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2003
2,848 Posts
Thanks Jimmy, for the clarification. However, www.bigdaddy.com seems to be a clothes shop or something?

I may PM you later to see how you did it.

Dan