HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 01, 2011, 05:26 AM
RC Reviews & Tx Setup Guides
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Mini-Review
Blade mCPX - Pictures, Video, Flight Times, Thrust, Brushless Mod, Flight Sim Model

Tom Z is offline Find More Posts by Tom Z
Last edited by Tom Z; Jul 17, 2013 at 10:28 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2011, 08:11 AM
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2009
1,637 Posts
I hope this becomes the main MCPX thread, right now the information is scattered into too many threads.

For the record, my MCP X had major vibrations when first flown out of the box, to the point that I nicked the main blades while making an emergency landing . Later I found that the pitch servo was not fully screwed on its board, and it was loose. After securing the pitch servo by tightening the screws to the board, the problem was gone.

I am now working at finding the amount of expo I like: I started with the factory recommended settings for the DX6i, but in normal mode the ELEV and AIL seem a bit too numb for my liking. So I am in the process of decreasing the recommended 30% expo.
DMala is offline Find More Posts by DMala
Old Jun 01, 2011, 09:28 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMala View Post
I hope this becomes the main MCPX thread, right now the information is scattered into too many threads.

For the record, my MCP X had major vibrations when first flown out of the box, to the point that I nicked the main blades while making an emergency landing . Later I found that the pitch servo was not fully screwed on its board, and it was loose. After securing the pitch servo by tightening the screws to the board, the problem was gone.

I am now working at finding the amount of expo I like: I started with the factory recommended settings for the DX6i, but in normal mode the ELEV and AIL seem a bit too numb for my liking. So I am in the process of decreasing the recommended 30% expo.
I find it too numbed down with any expo at all. Those linear servos always feel like they are lagging behind my inputs so now I'm now running -20% expo to make it more sensitive, and it feels much more locked in when hovering. Spot landings on my little heli landing pad are much easier.
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Last edited by Xrayted; Jun 01, 2011 at 09:34 AM.
Old Jun 01, 2011, 09:43 AM
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Quote:

That is why I tried to not open another thread but combining two threads
like I did was too much and I also was reaching the picture limit for a single thread.
If anyone wants to add pictures, video, information, tips, there review,
to my thread feel free.

Many people had vibrations when first flown out of the box including myself
and my friends. My main problem was the blade tension. After adjusting I got rid of
most of the vibrations. Doing the canopy grommet mod got rid
of the rest of the vibrations and now it is very smooth and responsive.
After seeing your post I check all my screws to make sure they are tight.
I working on the fine tuning my D/R and Expo settings also. I tried to flip it
and with the recommend settings the heli was to tamed down.
I am now using using buildem336 settings but using more Expo and less PIT for now until I get more use to the heli.

Tom
Old Jun 01, 2011, 10:43 AM
Hudson, NH
Joined Mar 2007
228 Posts
Great thread Tom, nice work!

Bill
billm555 is offline Find More Posts by billm555
Old Jun 01, 2011, 10:50 AM
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2009
1,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Z View Post
(...) After seeing your post I check all my screws to make sure they are tight.
(...) Tom
I could move the servo up and down nearly a mm or so... to access the screws that secure the pitch servo to the board I had to take down the board itself.

I just checked the blades at zero pitch (throttle down in normal mode) and they do have a negative angle like others have reported.

However, I wonder if this is done on purpose, to help managing the wind. I read before that many CP pilots do program a little bit of negative pitch at low throttle even in normal mode.

Are we sure it is a good idea to get rid of it? I am not getting rid of it for now, it also has the advantage to help a FP pilot like me to begin to get used to managing negative picth.

I wanted to ask this question to Horizon while reporting the servo problem and requesting a new set of blades, but I have been on hold with no answer for a long time both times I called. The call back service did not work for me (after 24h). The store where I bought the heli offered to help but still in the future I will not find very credible the claims of superior customer service by Horizon Hobby....
Old Jun 01, 2011, 12:59 PM
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Thanks Bill!

DMala, I didn't even notice the servo screws behind the circuit board. I'll check them.
It is common on a CP heli to program some negative pitch throttle down in normal mode. This is to help with wind. 2-3* or so is pretty common.
It looks like they wanted the mCPX to have some negative pitch throttle down also which is a good idea.
If not you could get in trouble in wind if you were not in idle up mode.

Finless Bob suggests having some negative pitch 1-3* in normal mode throttle down so you can land in wind OK without being in idle up mode.

Tom
Old Jun 01, 2011, 01:15 PM
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2009
1,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Z View Post
(...) Finless Bob suggests having some negative pitch 1-3* in normal mode throttle down so you can land in wind OK without being in idle up mode. Tom
Right. I saw a few posts around recommending to set 0 pitch at 0 throttle (normal mode, either by using the tx or adjusting the servo link) but since there is no right or wrong (it is a matter of preference in my opinion) I will keep the slight negative pitch set at the factory. As I stated before, it is a good training tool for those like me that bought the MCP X as first CP heli.
Old Jun 01, 2011, 03:11 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
Right. I saw a few posts around recommending to set 0 pitch at 0 throttle (normal mode, either by using the tx or adjusting the servo link) but since there is no right or wrong (it is a matter of preference in my opinion) I will keep the slight negative pitch set at the factory. As I stated before, it is a good training tool for those like me that bought the MCP X as first CP heli.
I wouldn't recommend 0 pitch at low stick for any mode. A heli can fly at 0 pitch if there is wind, and you will find that you are bottoming out the stick and she doesn't come down. You had also better have a flat line 100% throttle curve as well or else you shut the heli down in this situation and it falls like a rock.

The spinning rotor disk is just like an airplane wing and the heli doesn't know the difference between wind and air speed. This is why you will see the heli suddenly ascend or descend in breezy conditions. Wind passing over the rotor, even at 0 pitch can generate lift just like a plane and the heli can still fly. You are on the right track keeping some negative in with normal mode.
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Old Jun 01, 2011, 05:06 PM
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Quote:
I will keep the slight negative pitch set at the factory. As I stated before, it is a good training tool for those like me that bought the MCP X as first CP heli.

I think that is a good idea and you will be OK in wind too.
What I did is when I first flew my T-Rex 450 I set -1* pitch in normal mode. Once I got use to this I went up to -2* then I keep going up. I can now handle -13* with no problem.

Starting out low will also help keep the heli from sucking down to the ground
if you come down too fast on the throttle as you get use to negative pitch.

Iím thinking of posting beginner settings for the mCPX if I can measure
pitch OK on this flybarless heli. A member here gave me a good way to do it so I will try it out.

Tom
Old Jun 01, 2011, 05:11 PM
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Reserved.
Last edited by Tom Z; Jul 13, 2011 at 01:14 AM.
Old Jun 01, 2011, 10:37 PM
Toronto Canada
Joined Dec 2002
5,433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayted View Post
Wind passing over the rotor, even at 0 pitch can generate lift just like a plane and the heli can still fly.
I initially was going to dispute the above quote because according to NACA, lift is generated at zero degrees angle of attack only for flat-bottomed airfoils.

I can see, however, if the heli is in forward flight or windy conditions with the symmetrical blade pitch at zero degrees, but the rotor disk at a positive angle of attack relative to the wind, there would be translational lift from the difference in lift between the advancing blade and retreating blade (there is extra lift because lift is proportional to the SQUARE of the velocity and the advancing blade gains more lift than the retreating blade loses).

If the heli rotor disk were at a positive angle of attack relative to the wind or in forward flight, translational lift would have an effect with symmetrical blades at zero degrees and would tend to keep the heli aloft.

While hovering in zero wind conditions with symmetrical blades at zero degrees pitch there would be little effect and the heli would settle to the ground from its own weight, although more gently than with 2 or 3 degrees negative pitch.
Martyn McKinney is offline Find More Posts by Martyn McKinney
Last edited by Martyn McKinney; Jun 01, 2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old Jun 03, 2011, 10:43 AM
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2009
1,637 Posts
Quote:
I hope this becomes the main MCPX thread, right now the information is scattered into too many threads. For the record, my MCP X had major vibrations when first flown out of the box, to the point that I nicked the main blades while making an emergency landing . Later I found that the pitch servo was not fully screwed on its board, and it was loose. After securing the pitch servo by tightening the screws to the board, the problem was gone. I am now working at finding the amount of expo I like: I started with the factory recommended settings for the DX6i, but in normal mode the ELEV and AIL seem a bit too numb for my liking. So I am in the process of decreasing the recommended 30% expo.
Update: at my second attempt Horizon Hobby called me back, they will send a replacement set of main blades, and the representative confirmed that some negative pitch at zero throttle is set on purpose by the factory.
Old Jun 03, 2011, 12:14 PM
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
That is good Horizon Hobby sent you new blades.

I recommend that everyone leaves the negative pitch
at zero throttle as Eflight set it to from the factory if you are going
to fly in any wind at all. It should be in the -1* to -3* negative pitch range.
If you fly in wind and don't have any negative pitch in at zero throttle you
may not be able to land the heli in wind and the wind can take the heli away from you.
Of course you can flip it in idle up and be OK.

I am going to see if I can post the pitch range for both normal and idle up modes for the people who want to know this including myself.

Tom
Old Jun 03, 2011, 12:22 PM
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Update

I have 4 hyperion 240 mah batteries on the way.
Already have the connectors and battery tray mount here.
I'll do testing with them for my review.
Flight times, head speed , thrust test, weight, etc.

I should be able to take some outdoor HD videos next week to post.

Tom