HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Which do you fly more often?
Since I got the Blade SR, I don't fly the 120 SR much. 0 0%
I still fly the 120 SR for fun, even though I have the BSR 0 0%
I tried the BSR and find myself flying the 120 SR more. 1 50.00%
I pick the Heli based on my mood and the weather, both are great! 1 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 01, 2011, 04:46 AM
Old
Joined Nov 2010
37 Posts
Poll
Blade SR vs 120 SR

For those of you that have *both* a Blade SR and a 120 SR. Which Heli do you fly more often?

I'm trying to get a feel for what people fly for fun. So if you have time for one or two flights, are you more apt to grab the 120 SR or the SR?

Is it a matter of once you start flying CP, you park the 120 SR and never look back or do people that have both Helis still fly the 120 SR just for fun?

If I had to bet, based on activity in the 120 SR thread(s) vs the BSR thread(s), the 120 SR has developed a passionate following, the BSR not so much.

I have no desire to fly 3d moves, and the BSR seems to be the only Heli that is billed as an easy to fly CP. What will a BSR do that the 120 SR won't (stock out of the box with the supplied Tx)?

Cheers,

R
RHough is offline Find More Posts by RHough
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2011, 08:58 AM
Joined May 2005
1,113 Posts
MCPX > SR in all ways.
GetterDragun is offline Find More Posts by GetterDragun
Old Jun 01, 2011, 11:17 AM
Berkeley, CA
Joined Oct 2004
1,895 Posts
mCPx (500+ flights) >>> SR (200+ flights) > 120SR (< 10 flights)
estarter is offline Find More Posts by estarter
Old Jun 01, 2011, 11:21 AM
Turkey - Istanbul
Joined Jun 2009
145 Posts
Does Sr fly better than sr120 at wind ? If so i will buy it.

Thanks so much...
beachbumbora is offline Find More Posts by beachbumbora
Old Jun 01, 2011, 11:33 AM
Joined Apr 2011
164 Posts
I have few helis now, including an mSR, 120 SR, SR, and mCP X. The only thing I don't fly anymore is my coaxial. Each is better depending on the situation.

mSR: When I want to buzz around the house quickly with minimal worries if I run into something. I have flown it outdoors on calm days, but I prefer the 120 in any situations I would fly the mSR outside.

120 SR: Indoor in larger rooms with no loose papers (it blows them everywhere) or outdoor in very light conditions (under 5mph). I try to run at least one battery through this before I fly the SR (conditions permitting), just to get my head ready. I can fly fairly aggressively without worrying about crashing. This one is really fun to buzz around the back yard on calm days.

SR: Outdoor, light flying in front of my house. Faster flying and more fun when I have an open field. Stable for a collective pitch and plenty fast for a beginner. Larger and easier to see when it is farther away. My personal limit is 10mph winds but the heli will handle more. The SR is the only one I can see well enough at night to fly under the street lamps, and even then, it is at most slow controlled circuits and hover practice.

mCP X: I love this heli! Indoor controlled flying in larger rooms only, great in small parks. It is a little harder to fly with a DX5e than my SR with stock radio. Crash resistant when over soft surfaces such as grass. Harder to see at distance and it can quickly go from right in front of you to way to far away to see orientation. Bouncy in the wind, but will probably handle quite a bit more than I am willing to fly it in just yet.

Since the mCPX is more convenient, I get more stick time with this than I do the SR. I like the 120 on calm days in the front and back yards. I get the biggest rush from the SR when flying it with some altitude in a wide open area.

I would recommend the mCP X over the SR for a collective pitch trainer, just for the greater amount of stick time you will get. Crash costs are less too.

-Chocula
Chocula is offline Find More Posts by Chocula
Old Jun 01, 2011, 11:40 AM
Joined Apr 2011
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbumbora View Post
Does Sr fly better than sr120 at wind ? If so i will buy it.

Thanks so much...
The SR 120 does not handle much wind. Even a with a light breeze, you can have the stick full forward and not be able to penetrate into the wind. You have to cut the throttle to drop the nose a little before going into the wind.

The SR is a completely different beast. It handles wind much better but is WAY harder to fly than the 120 SR. This is mostly the difference between a fixed pitch heli with a 45 degree fly bar such as the 120 SR and a collective pitch heli such as the SR. When you let go of the cyclic on the 120 SR, it will stabilize itself. If you do that with the SR, it will keep doing whatever it was doing until it crashes.

-Chocula
Old Jun 01, 2011, 11:46 AM
Old
Joined Nov 2010
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocula View Post
I have few helis now, including an mSR, 120 SR, SR, and mCP X. The only thing I don't fly anymore is my coaxial. Each is better depending on the situation.

mSR: When I want to buzz around the house quickly with minimal worries if I run into something. I have flown it outdoors on calm days, but I prefer the 120 in any situations I would fly the mSR outside.

120 SR: Indoor in larger rooms with no loose papers (it blows them everywhere) or outdoor in very light conditions (under 5mph). I try to run at least one battery through this before I fly the SR (conditions permitting), just to get my head ready. I can fly fairly aggressively without worrying about crashing. This one is really fun to buzz around the back yard on calm days.

SR: Outdoor, light flying in front of my house. Faster flying and more fun when I have an open field. Stable for a collective pitch and plenty fast for a beginner. Larger and easier to see when it is farther away. My personal limit is 10mph winds but the heli will handle more. The SR is the only one I can see well enough at night to fly under the street lamps, and even then, it is at most slow controlled circuits and hover practice.

mCP X: I love this heli! Indoor controlled flying in larger rooms only, great in small parks. It is a little harder to fly with a DX5e than my SR with stock radio. Crash resistant when over soft surfaces such as grass. Harder to see at distance and it can quickly go from right in front of you to way to far away to see orientation. Bouncy in the wind, but will probably handle quite a bit more than I am willing to fly it in just yet.

Since the mCPX is more convenient, I get more stick time with this than I do the SR. I like the 120 on calm days in the front and back yards. I get the biggest rush from the SR when flying it with some altitude in a wide open area.

I would recommend the mCP X over the SR for a collective pitch trainer, just for the greater amount of stick time you will get. Crash costs are less too.

-Chocula
Excellent Reply! Just the feedback I'm looking for!

I had not considered the mCP X as an entry level CP Heli. The advertising gave me the impression that it is a 3D hot rod and the small size would limit it to indoor or very calm conditions.

Point well taken on the cost of crashing.

Thanks!
RHough is offline Find More Posts by RHough
Old Jun 01, 2011, 01:09 PM
Turkey - Istanbul
Joined Jun 2009
145 Posts
Quote:
The SR 120 does not handle much wind. Even a with a light breeze, you can have the stick full forward and not be able to penetrate into the wind. You have to cut the throttle to drop the nose a little before going into the wind.

The SR is a completely different beast. It handles wind much better but is WAY harder to fly than the 120 SR. This is mostly the difference between a fixed pitch heli with a 45 degree fly bar such as the 120 SR and a collective pitch heli such as the SR. When you let go of the cyclic on the 120 SR, it will stabilize itself. If you do that with the SR, it will keep doing whatever it was doing until it crashes.

-Chocula
Thank you so much, you are great.

One more question please, which heli do you suggest me for an easy flight at wind ? I have msr and sr120, i was thinking about to buy a SR but after reading the things you wrote, i changed my mind... Because you say it is harder to control SR when compared to 120sr and msr...
beachbumbora is offline Find More Posts by beachbumbora
Old Jun 01, 2011, 01:46 PM
Joined Apr 2011
164 Posts
Quote:
One more question please, which heli do you suggest me for an easy flight at wind ?
Easy and wind are contradictory concepts. See my reply in this thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1447884
Old Jun 01, 2011, 01:53 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,375 Posts
BSR is a poor CP. Motortails just can't keep up with a craft that size. I have the Esky version converted to programmable and it's just too gangly and fragile to be particularly fun or instructional. Flew it once since I got 120SR, knocked the end off a blade, lucky didn't bust more.

I fly 120SR around the apt complex up to 7mph wind (by trees, flag; NWS saying 5-15mph). When it hits 15mph you no longer have much to say about where it goes but even so it hasn't been damaged. BSR (equivalent) broke the head just tumping onto carpet before I put training gear on it.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Jun 01, 2011, 03:09 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Thank you so much, you are great.

One more question please, which heli do you suggest me for an easy flight at wind ? I have msr and sr120, i was thinking about to buy a SR but after reading the things you wrote, i changed my mind... Because you say it is harder to control SR when compared to 120sr and msr...
I have found my mCP's to do well in the wind. You will get more flights per dollar with the mCP than with the SR. And most likely more flights per day also as you can just find any 25' clear area and have fun flying it around where the SR really requires much more room to be safe.. I tend to fly the most unbreakable heli's the most often.. I fly the mCP's with a DX6i so have no idea how they would be flying with the set up with the stock TX..

As far as most fun for the buck the mCP's are near the top of the list... Even if they don't really fly perfect..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Jun 02, 2011, 12:05 AM
Joined Apr 2011
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbilab View Post
I have the Esky version converted to programmable and it's just too gangly and fragile to be particularly fun or instructional
Which Esky heli is the same as the Blade SR? For a 300 sized heli, the SR seems reasonably robust, much more so than the Blade CP series.

-Chocula
Old Jun 02, 2011, 02:14 AM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,375 Posts
I replace the blades on my HBCP with Eflite CP/SR blades. That's how identical they are.

BSR is marketed as beginner CP. That's the most exaggerated representation I've ever known from Blade/Horizon. MCPX is much more qualified for that title. But MCPX wasn't ready for the market at the time they were pushing BSR. These days the market moves VERY quickly.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Jun 02, 2011, 12:17 PM
Joined Apr 2011
164 Posts
I was hoping for an additional source for parts on my SR. I respect your opinion Arbilab, below are some of the ways my opinion differs. Not better or worse, just different.

My Blade SR is stock except, the blades have been replaced with symmetrical Plasti-Blades designed for the Blade CP, and 3 of my 4 batteries are Sky Lipo 1000mAh. I still use the stock transmitter. I did not have much air time on the original wooden blades before switching, hence my experience is based on the setup with the Plasti-Blades which are a little wider and a little shorter.

I think the HBCP is probably a closer match to the Blade CP than the Blade SR, not parts interchangeable close, but closer. Even still, I don't condemn one for the flaws of another. That would be like saying a Curtis Youngblood Rave 3D is bad because of something I may not like with my Esky Belt CP v2. The Rave blades can be used on a Belt CP, as can most 450 sized helicopter blades.

While I have had a very positive experience with my Blade SR, as with everything, there is room for improvement. A better gyro and a belt driven tail for example, but those would increase the price. My tail motor issues have all been impact or user mis-assembly related, not a fault of the heli. Overall, I feel the Blade SR gets bashed in the forums way more than it deserves, a disproportionate amount coming from people repeating what they have seen without first hand experience.

My experience has not shown a lack of power from the tail motor, rather that it is slower to spin up or slow down than a belt driven tail which only needs to alter its pitch. From a hover in normal mode, slamming the stick to full throttle will blow the tail out about 45 degrees. Switching to idle up mode makes it harder to blow out the tail. I consider this a limitation of the design rather than a fatal flaw, fly accordingly. My expectations were for an entry level CP helicopter, not a 3D monster. My expectations have been met.

Compared to my Belt CP v2, the Blade SR is much easier to control. I do feel it is a good entry level CP helicopter. I would have had a much more difficult time learning on my Belt CP. When the Blade SR was released, there was no mCP X yet. For the price, I know of no CP helicopter that is as easy to fly. With this in mind, I think beginner CP is exactly how it should have been marketed, especially when contrasted with Blades CP Pro 2.

-Chocula
Old Jun 02, 2011, 03:50 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
I was hoping for an additional source for parts on my SR. I respect your opinion Arbilab, below are some of the ways my opinion differs. Not better or worse, just different.

My Blade SR is stock except, the blades have been replaced with symmetrical Plasti-Blades designed for the Blade CP, and 3 of my 4 batteries are Sky Lipo 1000mAh. I still use the stock transmitter. I did not have much air time on the original wooden blades before switching, hence my experience is based on the setup with the Plasti-Blades which are a little wider and a little shorter.

I think the HBCP is probably a closer match to the Blade CP than the Blade SR, not parts interchangeable close, but closer. Even still, I don't condemn one for the flaws of another. That would be like saying a Curtis Youngblood Rave 3D is bad because of something I may not like with my Esky Belt CP v2. The Rave blades can be used on a Belt CP, as can most 450 sized helicopter blades.

While I have had a very positive experience with my Blade SR, as with everything, there is room for improvement. A better gyro and a belt driven tail for example, but those would increase the price. My tail motor issues have all been impact or user mis-assembly related, not a fault of the heli. Overall, I feel the Blade SR gets bashed in the forums way more than it deserves, a disproportionate amount coming from people repeating what they have seen without first hand experience.

My experience has not shown a lack of power from the tail motor, rather that it is slower to spin up or slow down than a belt driven tail which only needs to alter its pitch. From a hover in normal mode, slamming the stick to full throttle will blow the tail out about 45 degrees. Switching to idle up mode makes it harder to blow out the tail. I consider this a limitation of the design rather than a fatal flaw, fly accordingly. My expectations were for an entry level CP helicopter, not a 3D monster. My expectations have been met.

Compared to my Belt CP v2, the Blade SR is much easier to control. I do feel it is a good entry level CP helicopter. I would have had a much more difficult time learning on my Belt CP. When the Blade SR was released, there was no mCP X yet. For the price, I know of no CP helicopter that is as easy to fly. With this in mind, I think beginner CP is exactly how it should have been marketed, especially when contrasted with Blades CP Pro 2.

-Chocula
I agree with what you say.... But I think that the biggest problem the SR had was that the people that where buying it only had heli guiding experience (mCX, mSR) and no actual heli flying experience ( no selfstableing) and thought that the SR was going to fly like a mSR only with adjustable pitch.. And it would be able to crash and fly like the mSR..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob