SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 16, 2011, 11:49 AM
Chad
United States, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Dec 2010
1,945 Posts
thank you very much for the kind words and I am glad you like it. that is why I made the plans was so people like yourself had a simple build plane that flies great and can take a beating.And I sure know how to give a beating to these planes.
I see you were playing in the wind that is how i destroy most of my planes doing low tricks in the wind. but its so much more fun.

well thanks again for the kind words and for posting the video
P.S.
I love the paint scheme.
TheOne420 is offline Find More Posts by TheOne420
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2011, 08:34 PM
Did you say up or down?
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Mar 2011
467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne420 View Post
thank you very much for the kind words and I am glad you like it. that is why I made the plans was so people like yourself had a simple build plane that flies great and can take a beating.And I sure know how to give a beating to these planes.
I see you were playing in the wind that is how i destroy most of my planes doing low tricks in the wind. but its so much more fun.

well thanks again for the kind words and for posting the video
P.S.
I love the paint scheme.
This is actually the plane that gave me the confidence to finally fly my new Eflite cz Yak54. I have flown that once now with great success but this little guy takes to the air quite often.
As for the paint scheme.....gotta love the 5 and 7 year old nieces. I think they did a great job! They come for a visit tomorrow and have not seen it fly yet!

If I do break this one(when), I have templates now so cutting the $tree foam is a snap with the hot wire cutter. Parts in a flash!!

I need to go with a lighter battery though. Perhaps the 850 0r even 1000mah for better performance. My 2s 1300mah is a bit heavy.

Great job!

E.
RedRanger is offline Find More Posts by RedRanger
Old Sep 16, 2011, 08:54 PM
Chad
Joined Dec 2010
1,945 Posts
I use a 1000mah and it flies great not super super slow but good enough. I also have a 800mah i use but it is a 2s so it doesnt have as much power but slows it down nice. My favorite is my 500mah 3s. I can get over 8 minutes on it and it has great power and float. something in the 600mah3s range would prob do well also. let me know what you try cause more input is always better because I will be building a new version soon
Old Sep 16, 2011, 11:12 PM
Did you say up or down?
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Mar 2011
467 Posts
Quote:
I use a 1000mah and it flies great not super super slow but good enough. I also have a 800mah i use but it is a 2s so it doesnt have as much power but slows it down nice. My favorite is my 500mah 3s. I can get over 8 minutes on it and it has great power and float. something in the 600mah3s range would prob do well also. let me know what you try cause more input is always better because I will be building a new version soon
Will do. I need to get some 3s 450 and 650mah for my FPV system anyway. I am lacking the power with the 2s like you suggest. My video shows the plane in full throttle the whole time. Nothing gets overly warm but no extra power to get out of trouble as you could see. Hee hee!

E.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 11:26 AM
Chad
Joined Dec 2010
1,945 Posts
this is the motor I have in mine now and I can fly around at less than half throttle so if i need power im gone in a flash.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5354
Old Sep 17, 2011, 09:20 PM
Did you say up or down?
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Mar 2011
467 Posts
Quote:
this is the motor I have in mine now and I can fly around at less than half throttle so if i need power im gone in a flash.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5354
I think I can afford that! Now I just have to wait for it to come off back order. Thanks a lot. I think my motor is burning out. I am not geting the power I used too? So good timing on the motor suggestion!

Tried the 9x4.7 today versus the 10x4.7 I had been using. Maybe that was the problem? Didn't have a long flight as I broke my prop.....due to no power to climb from a low altitude.

E.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 12:15 AM
Chad
Joined Dec 2010
1,945 Posts
here is one that is in stock. I dont know about the color but hey it might match the paint scheme. specs seem to be about the same but lower kv and you may need to reverse the prop shaft or find a way to mount it.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_920kv.html
Old Sep 18, 2011, 02:14 AM
I KNOW WHAT IM DOING !!!!!!!
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
1,444 Posts
here is the photos of the sbach i did not to long ago ! hope i did it some justice ! it has a 21" w/s ! sorry guys was not sure if i already posted them or not ! anyway 2nd airbrush job i've done !
HELLCAT632 is offline Find More Posts by HELLCAT632
Old Sep 18, 2011, 02:15 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,444 Posts
i will try to get pics of it put together ! i have flown it 5-6 times really like the plane ! will try to get video also asap !!!!!!!!
Old Sep 18, 2011, 11:33 AM
Did you say up or down?
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Mar 2011
467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HELLCAT632 View Post
i will try to get pics of it put together ! i have flown it 5-6 times really like the plane ! will try to get video also asap !!!!!!!!
Fantastic paint scheme HELLCAT! I hope my second air brush job looks half as good I have only tried once....but it was fun and I can see how people can get so complex with their designs.

E.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 12:01 PM
Did you say up or down?
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Mar 2011
467 Posts
Quote:
here is one that is in stock. I dont know about the color but hey it might match the paint scheme. specs seem to be about the same but lower kv and you may need to reverse the prop shaft or find a way to mount it.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_920kv.html
Glad to see you take my paint scheme to heart Motor colour would blend in well!!!!! Gonna pass on this motor though

I am building your 30" tiled version today! I have my old templates but I see you have made some changes for the better. I have reprinted it and will make the new templates for future builds. I think the last one was 32"ws for me.
What did you use to hinge the control surfaces? And do you find having the pushrods for the elevator and rudder on the outside of the fuselage to be better?

Thanks,

E.

What size are you flying now?
Old Sep 18, 2011, 12:14 PM
Chad
Joined Dec 2010
1,945 Posts
I think my plans should be somewhere between 30" and 32" it just depends how the template is printed and put together. I always cut the extra 1/4" off the edges so they but up nicely. but mine is 31" i believe
to hinge the control surfaces i used micro du-bro pin hinges. they work great but be sure to get them all in straight or they may not bend as easy. the cloth hinges should work well too. I normally just use hinge tape but i wanted to try something else.
as far as the pushrods I like them on the outside just in case they need to be removed or replaced. it makes the job a lot easier.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 12:57 PM
Did you say up or down?
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Mar 2011
467 Posts
Quote:
I think my plans should be somewhere between 30" and 32" it just depends how the template is printed and put together. I always cut the extra 1/4" off the edges so they but up nicely. but mine is 31" i believe
to hinge the control surfaces i used micro du-bro pin hinges. they work great but be sure to get them all in straight or they may not bend as easy. the cloth hinges should work well too. I normally just use hinge tape but i wanted to try something else.
as far as the pushrods I like them on the outside just in case they need to be removed or replaced. it makes the job a lot easier.
Perfect! Just cut out the new 30" version. I always end up cutting the 1/4" border off. Takes more time but the results are better. I found some of those hinges in a balsa "Cricket" plane kit I have lying around. As for the pushrods. I am going to go with them on the outside, you make sense here.

Now to glue to some cardpaper and cut out exactly. Then once again glue with 3M spray to the $tree foam and hot wire cut out. Thats the fun part but its over to soon!!

Thanks 420!

E.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 01:05 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,444 Posts
thanx redranger ! i did have a lot of fun painting it ! but did take me a long time to figure it out ! here is one i did at the same tine for a very good friend of mine ! needles to say the plane did not servive !
Old Sep 20, 2011, 01:00 AM
Did you say up or down?
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Mar 2011
467 Posts
Hey TheOne420,

I got as far as hot wire cutting the pieces out on Sunday. I took a pic of the templates cut out with my first versions fuselage piece at the bottom for reference(32" wing span).
I also took a shot with the pieces mounted on the $tree foam. I like this one cause it shows how much I pay for the stuff! Gotta love a plane that costs you $2.50 to build, goes together easily and is sure to fly!!!

Till I get a chance to work on it again, Elvis has left the building!

E.