SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 16, 2011, 07:14 PM
Chad
United States, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Dec 2010
1,709 Posts
ok so I went with a 2205 1260kv motor for my motor but what prop do you think I should go with. the motor shows the 8" prop for both 2-3cell do you think it will take a 9x7 gws slow fly prop on 2 cell? I just dont know much about the motor in this size. and then just go with the 8x3.8 for the 3 cell. do you think this will work
this is my motor GT2205/33 and my all up weight should be under 270grams.
http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...28&item_id=670
TheOne420 is online now Find More Posts by TheOne420
Last edited by TheOne420; Aug 16, 2011 at 07:38 PM. Reason: added AUW
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2011, 08:01 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,312 Posts
For 2205s under 1500 kV, 3s and an 8x4ish prop are your best bet as long as the plane stays under 10 oz. If I was to try 2S again, I would want around 1700 kV.
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 08:44 PM
Chad
Joined Dec 2010
1,709 Posts
I have to see if its good enough I do have a few motors coming from HK I can use if this one doesnt pan out. but I think it will be ok maybe not crazy vertical but it should work till HK stuff gets here. I have a 500mah 3s and a few 500mah and 800mah 2s batteries I will be able to use for it so I would like something that will have enough power with both setups even if i need to change the prop which i plan on doing. one of the three HK motors I got should work though.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 10:35 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,312 Posts
I finally got some video of mine tonight. It's HD so embiggen it!

WamsySbach32.MOV (4 min 26 sec)

This is a good plane.

It will be better when I turn the ESC brake off.
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 11:33 AM
Chad
Joined Dec 2010
1,709 Posts
WOW !! Very nice. now I just need to keep mine in the air

I flew mine yesterday as well and found i need a little balsa between the wing and elevator . i know this because my plane broke clean in half when i got to low on a knife edge and cartwheeled across the field. its was a clean break so prob 20-30 min and it will be ready to fly again.
it was a very hard hit and the nose and wing section look perfect so the extra strength i added to the nose did workwell.
as you can see from the pics it seems to be a weak spot if your planning on landing whilst in a knife edge
Last edited by TheOne420; Aug 25, 2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 08:19 AM
I used to like trees
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Jul 2011
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormdriverOne View Post
I finally got some video of mine tonight. It's HD so embiggen it!

This is a good plane.

It will be better when I turn the ESC brake off.
Great looking plane! Looks like it has a nice combination of speed with some good 3D performance.

I'm new to scratch building so a few questions. I'd like to build it with the kfm4 airfoil too. Would $tree foam (one thickness) with 3mm depron steps be adequate for wing thickness or should I double up on the main wing?

What do you think about using Extreme fiberglass tape top and bottom under the steps (in addition to the CF spar) for extra strength?
Thanks
rchank is offline Find More Posts by rchank
Old Aug 28, 2011, 10:29 AM
Chad
Joined Dec 2010
1,709 Posts
mine has only one main wing and one step top and bottom so 3 layers total. it is very stiff with my 3mm carbon spar just under the back edge of the top step. it works fine but I would make the ailerons stiffer too when i build another i will use a spar(or tape) because I have noticed they can flex a little in high winds. I use a flat spar in my ailerons on my flying wing because when i got up to high speed it would be twitchy but since the spar was added it flies like a dream fast or slow.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 10:42 AM
I used to like trees
Joined Jul 2011
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne420 View Post
mine has only one main wing and one step top and bottom so 3 layers total. it is very stiff with my 3mm carbon spar just under the back edge of the top step. it works fine but I would make the ailerons stiffer too when i build another i will use a spar(or tape) because I have noticed they can flex a little in high winds. I use a flat spar in my ailerons on my flying wing because when i got up to high speed it would be twitchy but since the spar was added it flies like a dream fast or slow.
Good info TheOne. Thanks. I was thinking about some 1mm CF rod the length of each aileron with a narrow strip of Extreme tape if necessary.

Do you reinforce the leading edge of the wing and h-stab with anything?
Old Aug 28, 2011, 11:27 AM
Chad
Joined Dec 2010
1,709 Posts
I dont i just sanded the leading edge of the wing round but other than that I will gust airbrush it the way it is. after i paint it I might put a strip of clear tape on the leading edge.
My wing is actually strong enough the way it is. I use gorrila glue to laminate the wing together and when that hardens it is almost like a spar itself because it actually turns into a hard foam.

if you look up at my pics from my crash you can see the tail broke off. well I was doing a knife edge and tried to correct a mistake and the plane turned down and plowed nose first and did 2 or 3 cartwheels and my front fuse with all my extra strength and the wing were not even dented and it hit hard on the nose and the wing tips as it rolled. so my advice would be to run a balsa strip from rear of wing to leading edge on the horizontal stab on both sides of the fuse (place strips inside see pic)
Last edited by TheOne420; Aug 28, 2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 01:30 AM
United States, KS, Newton
Joined Sep 2009
113 Posts
Very Nice!!!

I just became addicted to the Sbach a couple months ago.

I was looking for a foamy design so when I finish my 50% Polaris and the Twin Cargo Plane I'm definitely giving this one a go.

Heck, I might have to scale it down to 13" or so and throw the guts from my Parkzone UM P51 in it?!

Looks like you have a successful design on your hands!
the_law_man01 is online now Find More Posts by the_law_man01
Old Sep 03, 2011, 12:27 PM
Chad
Joined Dec 2010
1,709 Posts
i think with some 3mm depron this thing would be great with the p-51 gear you can always upgrade to brushless if the power is lacking.

but lets raise the roof on these nice sbach planes we need these at every field in the usa hell the world

please check out these great designs as well
full fuse
SNice's Sbach here great videos and bitchn design
bbjsw10's sbach here

Spitfire222's Sbach here
my profile Sbach here
Old Sep 05, 2011, 10:44 PM
I used to like trees
Joined Jul 2011
288 Posts
Another box fuse Sbach under construction

This is my very first scratch build. I'm using a combo of $tree foam and depron. I love the Sbach lines and was looking for a version that my newbie building skills could handle. When I saw Stormdriver's video, I was hooked. I HAD to build this plane! Thanks to TheOne420 for coming up with this one.

I decided to use the KFm4 steps on the wing. I also used the rear fuse reinforcement TheOne recommended in post #99. I'm very slow building because every step is new to me and I kind of have to experiment on scraps before proceeding. I've read through this thread and zoomed every photo about a dozen times. I've learned about the expanding tendencies of Gorilla Glue

The airframe is nice and straight, but cosmetics and fine detail kind of look like LOL! I'll update as I slowly plod along with this fun little project.
Old Sep 06, 2011, 08:51 PM
United States, KS, Newton
Joined Sep 2009
113 Posts
Possible power system

Turnigy C28-26 1900kv rated for 2s operation on around 8x4 or 9x5 prop. At this point without some trial/error, I'm not really sure which I should use. I flew this motor once before with a 8x4 prop and pulled a plane weighing about 20oz just at stall speed. I would think I could get at least some decent sport flying if not mild 3D out of it. What do y'all think?

Edit:

I'm considerign the 30" or 32" build and I'll be running Rhino 20c 2s 1050mah.
the_law_man01 is online now Find More Posts by the_law_man01
Last edited by the_law_man01; Sep 06, 2011 at 08:56 PM. Reason: add info
Old Sep 06, 2011, 09:09 PM
Chad
Joined Dec 2010
1,709 Posts
yeah a 8x4 will work but with 2s you will get better performance with the 9x5 prop. I use a 9x3.8 on 3 cell and I have unlimited power and can climb out of a complete stahl at 3/4 throttle.

I am using this motor from Hk
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5354

just checked out the motor you have and it seems like you should be ok on 2s runnung a 9 inch prop and on 3s prob a 8x3.8 or 8x4(max)
Last edited by TheOne420; Sep 06, 2011 at 09:15 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 09:50 PM
Did you say up or down?
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Mar 2011
467 Posts
Well I said I was going to be busy for a month....well that turned into three months and now summer is fading. Finally said it was my turn and took a week off. Went to my little chunk of heaven in Quebec, Ontario with my four planes.
I have to say Mr. TheOne420 this plane is just FUN to fly! Had her in the air every morning and evening. The kids on the farm thought it best of all my planes(cause it would crash and fly again no problem!).
I thank you for this excellent build.
Here is a little video of me foolin' around at one of the farms one afternoon during my vacation. Nothing fancy, just me flapping in the wind!

Cheers!

E.

My Niece's Painted Plane (1 min 50 sec)
RedRanger is offline Find More Posts by RedRanger