Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 09, 2011, 11:54 AM
Chad
United States, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Dec 2010
1,621 Posts
with adobe acrobat 10 all you have to do is print the pdf at 148% and then when the paper prints out you need to cut like 1/4" border off. the blank part around the plans is what gets cut off.
i can tile a set at 30" when i get home tonight.
TheOne420 is online now Find More Posts by TheOne420
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2011, 12:17 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsking View Post
Hi guys, so I am trying to build a 30 inch wingspan version but i am having trouble scaling the plans. when i set to scale them at 148% majority of the plans are cut off and the wing halves no longer line up? what is the method you guys are using to scale the plans?

Thanks!
I was using Adobe Reader X and I had a similar problem when printing tiles. Nothing lined up and there were large gaps of missing info. I tried a lot of things but if I remember correctly, I fixed mine by changing the portrait/landscape setting.
SD One. is online now Find More Posts by SD One.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 12:46 PM
United States, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Jun 2011
30 Posts
30 inch tiled plans would be awesome. i'm playing around with putting it into landscape but it still is coming out funky. missing huge chunks. i'm also on a mac so it might not work the same way as acrobat.
samsking is offline Find More Posts by samsking
Old Aug 10, 2011, 12:18 AM
Did you say up or down?
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Mar 2011
467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne420 View Post
yeah foam formers right now just to test then I am hoping to get plans done in vector format so I can have these laser cut just like the nice guillows kits.

I am thinking 17" ws with the um sbach gear. It may work well at that size because the whole airframe should only way 14 grams without gear. right about the same as the um sbach.

and then maybe a 22" ws to see it it will be better as a micro at that size with a 10gram motor.

in the case of a 48" that is getting to big for simple stick model. you would need more internal stiffiners and probably cover most of it in foam or balsa. I am not the person to ask on a bigger plane like that. since I started micro and have been doing a lot of small guillows and other rubberband kits and my only 32"ws or above plane I have had dove nose first on maiden from about 100yrds up.(forgot the servo screw for the elevator control arm.)
Don't be upset man! I have been accused of having a screw or two loose in my time. Servo screws are kinda important though
I love the Guillows kits. I built a few as a kid! Never flew half of them. Just loved seeing the skeleton go together. Never was very good at covering though.

Almost finished your bird. I named her the SBach420!!!! Will post the pics when complete. Just got to mount the motor and figure out how to install the hatch to access the battery. Using a 2s 1300 lipo. Oh and find some time I was at this point in the build a week and a half ago. Life got busy.

E.
RedRanger is offline Find More Posts by RedRanger
Last edited by RedRanger; Aug 10, 2011 at 12:24 AM. Reason: ...
Old Aug 10, 2011, 08:26 PM
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,274 Posts
I finally got some good calm weather for a yard flight this evening with the new motor and batteries. This setup is perfect for mine. Turnigy Park 300, GWS 8x4 prop, Mystery 12A ESC, Gens Ace 3S 450 mAh 25c packs. It hovers at just a touch over half throttle and has plenty of power for pullouts and fast vertical climbs. I flew for 5 minutes and the pack read 11.7 when I plugged it into the charger. The motor was slightly warm. Mine is now completed to my satisfaction. I will weigh it with the battery tomorrow.

Edit: Recharge was 255 mAh. I think I can add another minute to my timer.

For my battery hatch, I used Blenderm for the hinge and velcro to hold it down.
Last edited by SD One.; Aug 10, 2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 08:42 PM
Chad
Joined Dec 2010
1,621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsking View Post
30 inch tiled plans would be awesome. i'm playing around with putting it into landscape but it still is coming out funky. missing huge chunks. i'm also on a mac so it might not work the same way as acrobat.
here you go sorry for the delay.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 08:49 PM
Chad
Joined Dec 2010
1,621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormdriverOne View Post
I finally got some good calm weather for a yard flight this evening with the new motor and batteries. This setup is perfect for mine. Turnigy Park 300, GWS 8x4 prop, Mystery 12A ESC, Gens Ace 3S 450 mAh 25c packs. It hovers at just a touch over half throttle and has plenty of power for pullouts and fast vertical climbs. I flew for 5 minutes and the pack read 11.7 when I plugged it into the charger. The motor was slightly warm. Mine is now completed to my satisfaction. I will weigh it with the battery tomorrow.

that is great the plane is working good I cant wait to get mine in the air.
Yours looks great too and very nice setup I think I will be ordering almost the same setup from value hobby. unless you know of some place cheaper. lol cheap is good.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 08:50 PM
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,274 Posts
I believe, if I were to build this again, I would extend the middle section of the main 6mm wing layer inside the fuse all the way to the front to butt up against the firewall and the fuse halves. Not only would it give a nice central plate for battery placement, it would pretty much eliminate any flex in the front of the fuse with only a minimum of extra weight. I could still glue a plate in there to do the same job, but it would be stronger and lighter if it was part of the wing.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 09:23 PM
Chad
Joined Dec 2010
1,621 Posts
yeah that is my idea with an extra plate to glue in (W/ GG)like the motor mount section but horizontal from the front to the wing. A lot like the lil ripper fuse is.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 09:55 PM
Did you say up or down?
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Mar 2011
467 Posts
Quote:

Thanks for the battery hatch pic! Is it ok to mount your battery(obviously it is) to the side if the fuselage like you have. Does it not affect the CG or have you counter balanced by have reciever/esc on opposite side. I want to put my battery between the servos in the middle of the wing but man she's tight. This will make it hard to insert the battery, so your setup makes more sense. I am just wondering how nose heavy she will become and how to correct that. Again lipo is a 2s 1300.

Regards,

E.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 09:41 AM
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,274 Posts
I'd rather have everything right down the middle if possible but yes, I do have the ESC on the opposite side to try to balance it.

As expected, mine is a little heavier with the larger battery and the Park 300. Fully loaded, it weighs 9.2 oz.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 03:16 PM
Did you say up or down?
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Mar 2011
467 Posts
I guess it would have helped if I added my pics. I hope you don't mind TheOne420

I am hoping this thing will behave better than the last one(a full fuse version not this nice beasty)! Shes was a might twitchy. I have just enough room to fit the battery between the aileron servo and the elevator servo. I am only concerned about taking away some of the inside wing/fuselage structural integrity. I can either lay the battery flat(I would have to cut it in deeper a bit) or verticle lengthways with the fuselage.
I guess once you seal the canopy thats it eh! No more access to the servos and such...guess I should remember to put my servo screws in the arms before I close her up Weight so far is 10 oz on the money.

E.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 05:05 PM
Did you say up or down?
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Mar 2011
467 Posts
The time has come. I got the battery installed securely and added a guide post for the rear control rods(bbq squewers aren't the best to use). Motor is mounted and I hope its positioned correctly. Time to close her up and go for the maiden tonight! Can I use a Slow Fly prop? My motor has the shaft for the hex fitting of a SF prop. Its an EP 1047 the orange colour. The motor is a L2205 1350kv for 100 watts. Fits perfectly but will it be too much for the motor?

E.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 05:16 PM
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,274 Posts
That may be too much prop for that motor. You might be ok on 2S if it will fly the plane but it will cook it on 3S. Most of my 2205 sized motors like an 8x4 or 8x6 prop depending on the number of cells. I just couldn't get enough thrust out of my 2205s for this plane on 2S, even with a 9x7 prop.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 05:36 PM
Did you say up or down?
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Mar 2011
467 Posts
Quote:
That may be too much prop for that motor. You might be ok on 2S if it will fly the plane but it will cook it on 3S. Most of my 2205 sized motors like an 8x4 or 8x6 prop depending on the number of cells. I just couldn't get enough thrust out of my 2205s for this plane on 2S, even with a 9x7 prop.
Would I be better of switching to my Park370 1370kv? Thats what I had on my now broken SBach.

E.