Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:07 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
492 Posts
Thanks and appreciated! It does fly well with the motor. Initially I was a little worried if the motor would be slightly slow being 950kv. Not that she will fall from the sky but make her slow enuf to not enjoy flying it. But the speed ended up being perfect for my little field. If I needed more I could prop up to 10x4.7 as I am using a 10x3.8SF APC now. It's an Emax BL2210 950KV weighing in at 45g and if my calculations where correct gave my Sbach about 1:7 to 1 thrust ratio....which is good enough for me.

When I built her I cut 2 fuse sections out from the profile version you posted in another thread and used the mid fuse section as the width from nose to TE of wing. behind the wing you would need to narrow it down to bring the 2 fuse halves together and glue the vert stab together. I flew her in the vid with a 3s 850mah this time and she took the little extra weight nicely.

With the 950kv she won't snap rapidly but gently eases into a move really..lol. But I did love throwing her into KE! Get her into the position nicely and she will hold vertical....nice!

30" is nice in size....and kept the AUW down which probably helped alot. Additional weight saving options are to do the Hokusei type fuse stiffeners and cut steep triangles and glue them diagonally. This covers more area to stiffen unlike a typical box fuse where one had to add several squares tapering down in size. Also the Hokusei style of thin Cf rods on the fuse halves...plus the mid section foam makes for a very stiff airframe. No need to run a thick CF down the middle!

I just need to find or probably fashion out a red spinner to complete her looks!

Thanks again for the plans and inspiration to build one. No regrets for sure! Cheers
Tim
timatworksg is offline Find More Posts by timatworksg
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2012, 04:03 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2011
111 Posts
Wow, just when i was trying to find a new plane to build, i find 3 awesome ones, and yours is on the top of the list. I'm trying to decide which size i should make? the 20" or 30" wingspan?

Planning on buy an RCTimer 2826 1400kv motor, they're around 50grams. Going to be using $tree foam with paper taken off. Most likely will be using a 1000mAh 30C 3S Lipo.

Thanks,

Ian
AssassinXCV is offline Find More Posts by AssassinXCV
Old Jul 11, 2012, 06:24 PM
Chad
United States, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Dec 2010
1,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AssassinXCV View Post
Wow, just when i was trying to find a new plane to build, i find 3 awesome ones, and yours is on the top of the list. I'm trying to decide which size i should make? the 20" or 30" wingspan?

Planning on buy an RCTimer 2826 1400kv motor, they're around 50grams. Going to be using $tree foam with paper taken off. Most likely will be using a 1000mAh 30C 3S Lipo.

Thanks,

Ian
i would go with at least 30"ws with that gear but maybe bump it to a 33" and it will better though.
TheOne420 is offline Find More Posts by TheOne420
Old Jul 11, 2012, 09:32 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
492 Posts
Yups...as TheOne420 has mentioned....I would go 33" or 34" ws at max. With that set up for Lipo and 1400kv motor...the 34" ws should work well for wing loading giving a nice blend of slow and snappy flight. Too small and the plane becomes heavy giving you too fast flying and correcting. Keep the build light and just stiffen where needed. If your not using EPP, depron and the others are stiffer than EPP and often hold up well with minimal CF needed. The Hokusei builds really intrigued me which is why I bought the Primus, not so much to fly it but study how thinner CF rods, thinner EPP for doubling could stiffen a 35"+ plane!

Keep us posted! And question away...cheers
Tim
Old Jul 13, 2012, 03:41 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2011
111 Posts
In the third last photo in
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne420 View Post
THIS POST
you show only three layers of foam (KF - wing - KF), yet on the plans just says to use 6mm depron or 2 $tree foam. So does this mean that in your photos you are using depron? and that we just build the $tree foam like (KF - wing - wing - KF)?

Ian
Old Jul 13, 2012, 04:20 PM
Chad
Joined Dec 2010
1,610 Posts
the kf are optional if you choose those the 2 layers of $tree foam in not needed. but the plans are for flat wing i just threw in the kf portion later
Old Jul 13, 2012, 06:01 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2011
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne420 View Post
the kf are optional if you choose those the 2 layers of $tree foam in not needed. but the plans are for flat wing i just threw in the kf portion later
Okay thanks, I guess i'll go with the double thickness and KF anyways. Wont add any noticeable weight really.
Last edited by AssassinXCV; Jul 14, 2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:15 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
492 Posts
Matter of taste and what suites I guess. If I went depron...I would have probably use a KF so I can use less CF stiffening on the wing as the KF layer will add some strength already. That way it keeps a depron wing lighter. If I went KFm4 it may do away with any CF,

Mine was built with EPP and I used 8mm EPP for the wing with a 3mm CF hollow square. A little heavier than a CF Rod but helluva stiff being square it's stiff all bending ways.

Going with any KF step for any wing is still a plus. It has worked, it works and will always work...LOL!
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:11 PM
Joined Mar 2010
21 Posts
Will parkzone umf p51gear work in the 21" version if I use 3mm for everything?
ernestharmon is offline Find More Posts by ernestharmon
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:17 PM
Chad
Joined Dec 2010
1,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernestharmon View Post
Will parkzone umf p51gear work in the 21" version if I use 3mm for everything?
3mm depron on the entire plane should work. I used the sukhoi gear in this same plane but profile instead of box fuse (only weight diff is the extra side)and it flew great plus it had a good amount of extra weight from paint(its my avatar pic). if the brushed motor isnt strong enough to hover its pretty cheap to upgrade to brushless using the ap05 motor and a 3-6a brushless esc just added to the um P-51 gear that will work with extra power.
i use the gee bee as3x gear in my 21" version and it flies nicely with lots of extra power.

if you scaled it down to 17" or 18" ws it should work too
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:41 AM
Joined Mar 2010
21 Posts
I am looking at a 50% reduction of the full fuse version at the moment.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:00 PM
Chad
Joined Dec 2010
1,610 Posts
Quote:
I am looking at a 50% reduction of the full fuse version at the moment.
that should work with the um p51 gear.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:45 PM
Joined Mar 2010
21 Posts
What if any up thrust,down thrust or side thrust?Or just make it all 0?
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:36 PM
Chad
Joined Dec 2010
1,610 Posts
Quote:
What if any up thrust,down thrust or side thrust?Or just make it all 0?
i put a little right thrust i believe the rest i corrected with my trim so if you want it perfect i would put the stock p51 thrust angle and it should be right
my stuff is usually direct drive so i start with no angle and then correct it by putting washers behind the motor mount screws to get the correct thrust.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:36 AM
Joined Mar 2010
21 Posts
Ok. Thanks I'm gonna try this one.My first attempt a scratch built was an epic failure. This one I feel better about. At least this model has been flown by someone.