HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 03, 2011, 06:41 PM
Did you say up or down?
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Mar 2011
467 Posts
Looking Good BombardierJay!

TheOne420 is right, the removable canopy is a nice touch. Hope they fly well for your first scratches

E.
RedRanger is offline Find More Posts by RedRanger
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2011, 12:44 AM
Joined Oct 2011
104 Posts
she flew on her madien flight just fine . iam no 3d pilot yet but gona learn with this one . it has ALOT of power . I plan on removing the LG since i tried to take off from my Runway . ( which is Mowed low grass ) and it would not work with the small wheels .

would need a paved runway which i dont have : (
bombardierJay is offline Find More Posts by bombardierJay
Old Nov 05, 2011, 01:38 AM
Chad
United States, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Dec 2010
1,703 Posts
nice glad to hear all went well

I was looking at your pictures a little closer and I missed something that I am sure a lot of others over looked as well its the linkage for the ailerons is diffrent that what im used to. if it works for you it might be alright just because of the bends in the arms and the location of the linkage it seems like it would give diffrent amounts of throw on each side. usually the control horns on the ailerons, elevator, or rudder are close to the leading edge this helps give you a larger movement in your control surface with less movement from your servo horn.
if you look at some of the other build pics you can see how they place the control horns in the same location on each side this also helps with control. It will might also help you with 3D because with this method you will have more throw.

it seems to have worked for you though so as you can see there is no real exact formula for a good plane its more or less trial and error and youll see we are all full of error. And we can all learn from each other because I will be using your hatch idea on my future builds
TheOne420 is offline Find More Posts by TheOne420
Old Nov 05, 2011, 08:34 AM
Did you say up or down?
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Mar 2011
467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombardierJay View Post
she flew on her madien flight just fine . iam no 3d pilot yet but gona learn with this one . it has ALOT of power . I plan on removing the LG since i tried to take off from my Runway . ( which is Mowed low grass ) and it would not work with the small wheels .

would need a paved runway which i dont have : (

Congrats on the maiden Most of my planes do not have LG. I am much more successfull with belly landings I too, have only area with long grass and no runways.

+1 on the control horns TheOne420. I had this same issue on one of my builds that this fine gentleman helped me sort out

Cheers,

E
RedRanger is offline Find More Posts by RedRanger
Old Nov 06, 2011, 11:53 PM
Joined Oct 2011
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne420 View Post
nice glad to hear all went well

I was looking at your pictures a little closer and I missed something that I am sure a lot of others over looked as well its the linkage for the ailerons is diffrent that what im used to. if it works for you it might be alright just because of the bends in the arms and the location of the linkage it seems like it would give diffrent amounts of throw on each side. usually the control horns on the ailerons, elevator, or rudder are close to the leading edge this helps give you a larger movement in your control surface with less movement from your servo horn.
if you look at some of the other build pics you can see how they place the control horns in the same location on each side this also helps with control. It will might also help you with 3D because with this method you will have more throw.

it seems to have worked for you though so as you can see there is no real exact formula for a good plane its more or less trial and error and youll see we are all full of error. And we can all learn from each other because I will be using your hatch idea on my future builds

Your right . its the only way to get her up in the air with the parts i had . the push rods are really steel landing gear wire cut down . and barelys works . and your right i do not get alot throw . but it works , for now until i go buy some music wire ....
bombardierJay is offline Find More Posts by bombardierJay
Old Nov 27, 2011, 03:40 PM
Chad
Joined Dec 2010
1,703 Posts
well here are some pics of my epp build it is 36.5"ws and is super light i will have complete weight and specs up soon.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 11:01 AM
Chad
Joined Dec 2010
1,703 Posts
I am slow. I decided since it was light enough I would try a night flyer. so I am in the process of adding leds.
it seems a little nose heavy so I will be doing some moving of electronics and creative placement for the leds to get a nice 3D center of gravity(little tail heavy). Ill try to post some pics after the sun goes down.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 07:14 PM
Chad
Joined Dec 2010
1,703 Posts
had some intrest so I thought I would give this a bump
Old Jul 09, 2012, 07:52 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
502 Posts
Know this thread has been silent for awhile, but I had to chime in and say Thank You to TheOne420 for the plans. I always wanted to have an Sbach in the hanger and finally decided to take the plunge and build one. And I'm glad I did. Went 30"ws.

Never did so much masking before but the effort was well worth the effort. I was rewarded with a perfect smooth launch and a even better maiden flight. I went with EPP and built her with a combination of 8mm for the wings, mid fuse length, stabs and rudder. The 2 fuse halves were 5mm EPP with 2.5mm CF Rods x2 on each fuse half. A CF square rod 4mm was used for the wing and 2mm flats in the stabs. 5mm EPP was used for the formers and stiffeners inside the fuse halves.
Electronics are an EMAX BL950kv with a 10x3.8SF APC, x4 8.5g EMAX servos (2 ailerons, 1 rudder, 1 elevator), 20A Hobbywing Skywalker ESC. Ran her on a Rhino 3s 750mah and 3s 610mah packs which balance her out nicely. AUW with the 3s 750mah Lipo is 365g! Which is 15g off my target...LOL.

Overall it was a fun build and the Sbach is a beauty with the paint job done. It really marks her character. Didn't grab a video yet, but already put in 5 flights and she flies slow, steady and just perfect for my field. Don't intend to 3D with her but wanted a nice smooth sport flyer...which she ended up being so. She can hover and will KE without any coupling! The 950kv isn't that powerful and provides her with 1.7 : 1 thrust ratio, which is enough for my needs. I could prop up but for now happy the way she is!

Thanks for the plans and inspiration. Attached are some pics of the build. Will grab a video soon and post it here too. Till then....cheers!

Tim
timatworksg is offline Find More Posts by timatworksg
Last edited by timatworksg; Jul 09, 2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 09:41 AM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,312 Posts
That looks great!
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 11:43 AM
Chad
Joined Dec 2010
1,703 Posts
that is a great paint job as well as a very nice clean build. I am glad the plans helped and I cant wait to see the video.
thanks for your contribution. that may spark some intrest in this thread again
Old Jul 09, 2012, 09:11 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
502 Posts
Thanks SD One. & TheOne420.

Honestly, I initially downloaded the profile fuse plans on TheOne420's other thread. Was heading for a simple profile build...but as I was cutting it up I realized that it wouldn't do the Sbach justice and cut up an additional fuse half. With reference to this thread for the box version ended up with my build of the Sbach 342! Glad I did. The Sbach isn't an Sbach without the signature colors and lighting streaks!

Some notes on my build...I tried out some methods used by Techone and Hokusei. The x2 (2mm) CF rods on the fuse halves are glued one above the wing and another below it. The above wing CF runs the whole span of the fuse stopping short before the vertical Stab. The lower rod ends just after the wing TE. Taking reference from my Primus, I cut the formers like triangles and pasted them slanted between the fuse halves. This covers more length for glueing and lightens the build! The firewall is 2 pcs of 5mm and I used the round plastic disc leftover from a stick mount. The disc is the bigger type and I mounted the motor directly screwed into the disc. The whole disc+motor was then epoxied to the foam firewall. Added a little downthrust which probably helped keep her in a straight like during flight! All hinging is done with Hot Glue.
Lastly the colors in the pic look very bold as I went over the spray painted areas with Tamiya model acrylics. During the build process, some colors don't stick to EPP well and as you press foam together, it crumbles and powders! So it was several sized brushes and brushed on another layer of black and red all over. Leaving the canopy white as it looks cool. Till my grubby fingers dirty it then I will paint it grey,..lol!

Will grab a vid hopefully later once the batteries are charged up!! Why issit we always forget to charge camera batteries and not lipo's I will never know...HAHA
Old Jul 10, 2012, 07:44 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
502 Posts
quick post....it rained!! Grrrrr....so vid to come soon once I get a great clear sky! Till then....
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:40 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
502 Posts
OK! Finally grabbed a vid when the rain let up. Did a quick one with a pal at the cam.
Pardon and apologies for the shakiness....best we could do for a quickie. Will post more up next flight. I'm no 3D pilot, but she can hover(not much here with a little wind blowing) but she KE with hardly any effort from me! She is such a great flyer and will admit...the best I have built and the reward from her flights everytime are priceless! The plans and EPP material all went together well!

For now...hope you enjoy it as much as I did building her! Cheers...Tim

Sbach342-scratcbuild-EPP-30"ws-FUN (4 min 35 sec)
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:26 AM
Chad
Joined Dec 2010
1,703 Posts
very nice! the plane looks even better in the air. it seems to fly well with your motor battery combo very smooth. ill need to buy that motor and try it out.
I really like the way this build can hande high speed maneuvers too. Its been awhile since i had mine out but I think its time even in this 115 degree weather we are having it will be worth it.
I would also like to do a smaller 30" epp like the one you did because when i did my epp I made it at 36" so its a little bigger and i made the fuse to fat i like them a bit slimmer but i was trying it out.