HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 21, 2011, 01:37 AM
Chad
TheOne420's Avatar
United States, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Dec 2010
1,943 Posts
yeah I hit a light (at the top of the light pole ) head on yesterday, my motor went flying and the tail section broke so a new motor mount and a little glue on the tail and it will fly again this weekend.

I was thinking about a EPP version as well, and now that I am ordering a box of epp tomorrow who knows I might just do it finally
TheOne420 is online now Find More Posts by TheOne420
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2011, 04:59 PM
I used to like trees
rchank's Avatar
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Jul 2011
288 Posts
Good flight today

Instead of waiting for the weekend, I decided to dig the bad rudder servo out of the SBach last night and replace it with a new one. This morning I took the plane to a big open flying area about 13 miles from my house. No trees to worry about and about an 8 mph wind from the east.

What a difference from yesterday's disaster. One word describes this plane. SWEET! I gave it 4 clicks up and 3 right on the trim and it was pure joy after that. I was hoping for a 3D type plane that was a bit faster and heavier than my Super Slo for better windy day flying and that's what I got.

Turnigy Park 300 1380kv with 8x4.3 prop
AUW 10.5 oz. with Turnigy nano-tech 460mah 3S batts.
$tree foam with some 3mm depron
KFM4 wing

I did a few loops and rolls but nothing too exciting since I've got the rates and travel dialed back with some expo while I get used to the plane. My videographer was baby sitting so I don't have any video to post. Maybe next outing. It would have looked pretty boring compared to Stormdriver's masterpiece on page #1.

Thanks to TheOne420 for this fine bird.
rchank is offline Find More Posts by rchank
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2011, 06:26 PM
Did you say up or down?
RedRanger's Avatar
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Mar 2011
467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchank View Post
Instead of waiting for the weekend, I decided to dig the bad rudder servo out of the SBach last night and replace it with a new one. This morning I took the plane to a big open flying area about 13 miles from my house. No trees to worry about and about an 8 mph wind from the east.

What a difference from yesterday's disaster. One word describes this plane. SWEET! I gave it 4 clicks up and 3 right on the trim and it was pure joy after that. I was hoping for a 3D type plane that was a bit faster and heavier than my Super Slo for better windy day flying and that's what I got.

Turnigy Park 300 1380kv with 8x4.3 prop
AUW 10.5 oz. with Turnigy nano-tech 460mah 3S batts.
$tree foam with some 3mm depron
KFM4 wing

I did a few loops and rolls but nothing too exciting since I've got the rates and travel dialed back with some expo while I get used to the plane. My videographer was baby sitting so I don't have any video to post. Maybe next outing. It would have looked pretty boring compared to Stormdriver's masterpiece on page #1.

Thanks to TheOne420 for this fine bird.
Nice plane rchank!
Yes, I agree with the word "SWEET!" I love this plane too.

AHHHH yes....Stormdriver! I fly like him in my dreams and crash like me in reality! But practice makes perfect.

Glad you decided to swap out the stripped servo. It is worth the ten minute flying thrill.

Regards,

E.
RedRanger is offline Find More Posts by RedRanger
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2011, 08:09 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,420 Posts
Oh that's my buddy Wamsy doing the flying in my video. He wrings out all of my scratchbuilds for me while I shoot the videos.

Glad you got it flying, rchank. If you like it in 8 mph wind, you are going to love it when it's calm. Looks great! Nice power setup too. Perfect for this plane.

I took mine with me to a fun fly today. I have built a couple more foamies since this one so they have been getting all of my attention. I had almost forgotten how good this one flies but as soon as I rolled it into KE, I was like "Ahhhhh! There it is!" Then during a really hard snap, my dry-rotted surgical tube prop saver allowed my prop to smack the front of the plane and chunked it up a bit. No big deal. Easy fix. Flies so good... it's going back to the field with me in the morning.
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2011, 07:35 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,420 Posts
I busted mine up real good on Sunday and found that weak point in the tail. I fixed it at the field and it flies great again but now I'm thinking bigger. 38 inches or so with the previously discussed improvements to the inner fuse to strengthen it. More power with landing gear... and lights!

I took advantage of the Hobbypartz LED sale and bought five strips of 60 LEDs in various colors. It's almost dark when I get home from work and daylight savings time is not over yet.
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 02:02 AM
Did you say up or down?
RedRanger's Avatar
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Mar 2011
467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormdriverOne View Post
I busted mine up real good on Sunday and found that weak point in the tail. I fixed it at the field and it flies great again but now I'm thinking bigger. 38 inches or so with the previously discussed improvements to the inner fuse to strengthen it. More power with landing gear... and lights!

I took advantage of the Hobbypartz LED sale and bought five strips of 60 LEDs in various colors. It's almost dark when I get home from work and daylight savings time is not over yet.
Sorry to hear your bird went down But I do love the ease in which you can get up flying again
I added 1mm x 3mm CF strips on both sides just like The One420 did with balsa and it made a heck of a difference in strength. I would change how I install them next time. I would extend them further past the trailing edge of the wing further up the fuselage. I had a heavy inmpact and thats where she split just a bit where they stopped and the wing started.
Here's a pic of the CF strips in place.

I had mine up again on the weekend. Nieces had a go at colouring the repaired nose. She still flys the same....Great. Still working on the setup but getting close to where I will be happy.

38" would be cool. Just bought the Park450 890 kv. What do you think? Good idea for the size? Haven't looked into it, just throwing it out there

E.
RedRanger is offline Find More Posts by RedRanger
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 09:09 AM
I used to like trees
rchank's Avatar
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Jul 2011
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRanger View Post
Sorry to hear your bird went down But I do love the ease in which you can get up flying again
I added 1mm x 3mm CF strips on both sides just like The One420 did with balsa and it made a heck of a difference in strength. I would change how I install them next time. I would extend them further past the trailing edge of the wing further up the fuselage. I had a heavy inmpact and thats where she split just a bit where they stopped and the wing started.
Here's a pic of the CF strips in place.


I had mine up again on the weekend. Nieces had a go at colouring the repaired nose. She still flys the same....Great. Still working on the setup but getting close to where I will be happy.

38" would be cool. Just bought the Park450 890 kv. What do you think? Good idea for the size? Haven't looked into it, just throwing it out there

E.
My fuse split in that same location on my first crash. I just used balsa reinforcement from wing trailing edge to horizontal stab. Dang it! A guy strengthens one area and the energy of a crash busts things somewhere else. It sometimes feels like I'm playing "whack-a-mole"

I flew it again yesterday in the wind and love how it handled the wind and the turbulence near the ground.
rchank is offline Find More Posts by rchank
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:42 PM
Chad
TheOne420's Avatar
United States, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Dec 2010
1,943 Posts
well thanks for the kind words about the plane.
Also thanks for the input on the tail section. At least I know it is a weak spot in the design and it need to be worked on a little bit. I am thinking the carbon rod in there might be a good idea instead of the balsa which can get heavy. but if its just a simple crack in the tail its not that bad because its a easy place for a fix. if we fix it to good we may be fixing the whole plane instead of a simple 3 minute glue job
Also my EPP order will be here today and I am thinking I will do my rebuild using all epp. i have 9mm 1.9# in white and 6mm 1.3# in black so i should be able to make it look pretty good with minimal paint too.
TheOne420 is online now Find More Posts by TheOne420
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 02:32 PM
Did you say up or down?
RedRanger's Avatar
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Mar 2011
467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne420 View Post
well thanks for the kind words about the plane.
Also thanks for the input on the tail section. At least I know it is a weak spot in the design and it need to be worked on a little bit. I am thinking the carbon rod in there might be a good idea instead of the balsa which can get heavy. but if its just a simple crack in the tail its not that bad because its a easy place for a fix. if we fix it to good we may be fixing the whole plane instead of a simple 3 minute glue job
Also my EPP order will be here today and I am thinking I will do my rebuild using all epp. i have 9mm 1.9# in white and 6mm 1.3# in black so i should be able to make it look pretty good with minimal paint too.
Getting excited!

E.
RedRanger is offline Find More Posts by RedRanger
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 03, 2011, 03:04 AM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2011
104 Posts
Thanks for the Great Plans . the plane went thoghter pretty good for my first ever scratch built Plane .

This is a 30" Version . I already dtarted making a 37" version next { its half way done }

i do have a question , since i will try to maiden this bird friday . Where should the CG be ?


Here are some pics . iam done just need s some paint ....









bombardierJay is offline Find More Posts by bombardierJay
Last edited by bombardierJay; Nov 03, 2011 at 03:16 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 03, 2011, 03:15 AM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2011
104 Posts
I'am Runing :

D2822/14 1450kv 7X5 Prop ( Thrust should be around 600 grams )

3S 1000Mah 20c

HK-20AMP ESC

3 TG9E Servos

Orange Spektrum RX

AUW : 17 oz's or 485 Grams
bombardierJay is offline Find More Posts by bombardierJay
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 03, 2011, 11:54 AM
Chad
TheOne420's Avatar
United States, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Dec 2010
1,943 Posts
very nice I have most of mine cut out of the epp I decided to go with a 36"ws since that is how long my epp sheet was.

i really like the removeable top you did. and the wheels too(I am thinking of making them removeable)
as far as the CG I keep mine at about 25-30% and it flies nicely. I think on the 30 inch version it is about 2.5 inches from leading edge(not positive so you should measure off 25%)
TheOne420 is online now Find More Posts by TheOne420
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 03, 2011, 03:22 PM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2011
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne420 View Post
very nice I have most of mine cut out of the epp I decided to go with a 36"ws since that is how long my epp sheet was.

i really like the removeable top you did. and the wheels too(I am thinking of making them removeable)
as far as the CG I keep mine at about 25-30% and it flies nicely. I think on the 30 inch version it is about 2.5 inches from leading edge(not positive so you should measure off 25%)
ya the LG added some weight to this foamie . probaly around 50 grams of extra weight . i think it would be tricky to make them removable . since they need to be firmly fit . so they dont break off .

I used elmers foam board . and made a kfm4 airfoil . so the wing is 3 sheets thick . I did not use a wing spar since i left the paper on the middle sheet and under the kfm steps . and is very firm . i can pick it up from a wing tip AUW and there is less than a CM of flex .

P.S. Dont you hate it when you cut and sanded your perfect foam peice and the hot glue tip gets jealous and eats/burns some of your perfect foam parts . ( live and Learn ) ... lol look at me horizontal Stap . the hot glue gun got it ...
bombardierJay is offline Find More Posts by bombardierJay
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 03, 2011, 03:34 PM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2011
104 Posts
i made my 37" ws form all $tree foam . and cut the wing in half and use a wood spar to join them . Reason i did 37" WS is Because the Fuselage is now 30" long . ( i did not want to do that in two pieaces .)

Reason i wanted to try this is beacuse i picked up some of that $tree board . and the paper is so easy to tear off a darn 8 Year old could do it . compared to the " Elmers "
and it seamed that there is no Tissue paper left on the foam so i wanted to make a perfect sanded roundish fuse and wings .

I doubled almost everything with X2 $tree board . the whole Fuse is 2 $tree foam glued together . The Stab's are X3 thick . and the main wing is X4 thick at the KFM4 Foils and X2 Thick thru out the whole wing . Evertything on this bird is been cut out and glued and sanded . but not fully done yet . i will post pics here later today on my 37" all $tree foam Board Sbach 342
bombardierJay is offline Find More Posts by bombardierJay
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 03, 2011, 05:31 PM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2011
104 Posts
37" WS SBACH 342 . all $tree Foam Board and some 1/8 ply ...


So ,Far she weights in at 275 grams and is 37"X35"












bombardierJay is offline Find More Posts by bombardierJay
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log SNICE Sbach 342 3D - 34" Full Fuse - PLANS FINALLY ADDED!!! SNice Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 65 Jul 10, 2014 09:51 PM
Build Log 19.5"ws Sbach profile. TheOne420 Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 22 Jun 15, 2012 05:56 PM
Discussion Sbach 342 Full fuse Free Plans bbjsw10 Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 142 Apr 07, 2012 03:48 PM
Build Log Spitfire......EPP full fuse 20"ws.....**VIDEO ADDED** Aero Andy Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 40 Jan 19, 2012 06:40 AM
Wanted 3D Foamie 30 to 45 inch WS ARF or RTF Mr Big Head Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Mar 24, 2011 04:34 AM