HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 01, 2011, 01:14 AM
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Mar 2011
40 Posts
Build Log
A Tweto Tritle 委$$n@ 180

This is a novice attempt to replicate Jim Tweto's C-180 N91361. After watching the Program "Flying Wild Alaska" I searched for a foam C-180 with ailerons and flaps that I could paint up to match but never found one I liked.During that search I discovered RCGroups with it's wealth of info. and was inspired to take on a kit build, Pat Tritle's C-180 which I learned of here seemed to fit the bill.With the recession lingering and not working many 40 hr. weeks I figured I could slip into the garage for a few hrs. here and there and still keep up with family responsibilities.So in February I ordered a short kit and I tell ya, this build has been so addictive it's been very difficult to get away from the bench even with the occasional evil glance into the garage from my wife.I posted some of my photo's in Ed1978 build thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1424359&page=5 however that thread was closed so I thought I would post my progress here.
wingnover is offline Find More Posts by wingnover
Last edited by wingnover; Jun 01, 2011 at 01:27 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2011, 05:52 AM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,543 Posts
That looks nice. Yes, Pat's models are enjoyable builds. Drive by building is the way to get things done.
kdahlhaus is online now Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Old Jun 01, 2011, 08:09 AM
Pencil grip
Olympia, WA
Joined Feb 2008
1,236 Posts
Red right returning.
hoffboy is offline Find More Posts by hoffboy
Old Jun 01, 2011, 11:34 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,185 Posts
There is an interesting thread on this forum about vulnerablity of Pat's designs to breakage and some ideas on beefing up as needed while keeping models light.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Jun 01, 2011, 11:47 AM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Holy smokes, what's that rat's nest of wiring all about? And that servo up on the motor mount??? What's that for?
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Jun 01, 2011, 01:46 PM
Airliner Builder
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Feb 2010
1,986 Posts
Awesome! I loved that show, can't wait for the next season. Looking forward to more progress.
WAGliderGuy is online now Find More Posts by WAGliderGuy
Old Jun 01, 2011, 10:34 PM
Joined Mar 2011
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffboy View Post
Red right returning.
I've never heard that mnemonic before,it's a good one
Old Jun 01, 2011, 11:15 PM
Joined Mar 2011
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafe_b View Post
Holy smokes, what's that rat's nest of wiring all about? And that servo up on the motor mount??? What's that for?
I was waiting for the ORKIN man to clean up all those wires. There are nine pairs of wires just for the nav. lights and the servo operates a drop door via a small wire. I put it up there so I could get back to it once the plane was all covered or remove it if needed.
Old Jun 01, 2011, 11:23 PM
Suspended Account
United States, PA, Grove City
Joined Jan 2011
751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafe_b View Post
I was wondering that too, as I mount them up there often, but when I saw the cable aiming downward it didn't look like a tail surface servo. I then read on, and found out it's for a bomb drop on a C180.
Sometimes it's a good idea to tape label the wire ends, as I've learned. You get in there a year later or so, and realize that "what's what" is not quite so fresh on your mind.

I guess the wiring and bomb drop aren't all that awkward on a C180 though. My Guillows C172 has a decent wiring mess, with the light system and all. I also researched the registration number on the decal set, and found out that while it was not a bomb dropping C172, it was owned by a company that drops folks ashes over the Rocky Mountains:
http://angelair-llc.com/
I thought about a remote controlled pilot, who dumps an ash urn out of the window.

Bill
Onna Vakkation is offline Find More Posts by Onna Vakkation
Last edited by Onna Vakkation; Jun 01, 2011 at 11:30 PM.
Old Jun 01, 2011, 11:35 PM
Joined Mar 2011
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged View Post
There is an interesting thread on this forum about vulnerablity of Pat's designs to breakage and some ideas on beefing up as needed while keeping models light.
Thank's I'll check that out. I put some reinforcement around the motor mount (an idea I borrowed from Ed1978's build.) I then proceeded to test it out by standing up after looking for some part on the floor, hitting the plane with my head and knocking it to the floor. Ouch!!
Old Jun 02, 2011, 12:02 AM
Pencil grip
Olympia, WA
Joined Feb 2008
1,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnover View Post
I've never heard that mnemonic before,it's a good one
Comes from my sailing days, but applies here as well. It was my gentle way of suggesting that you might have your nav lights reversed.
hoffboy is offline Find More Posts by hoffboy
Old Jun 02, 2011, 02:03 AM
United States, AK, Ketchikan
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
I'll be following this one. If I ever get the motivation to finish my Dumas/Tritle YMF-5 (stuck on the cabane struts and I've even read through Pat's tips on his website - plus the weather is nice here so I am flying or doing other outdoor activities) I think I may try this kit or his Super Cub. Was following the other 180 thread till it was closed...
bdshort is offline Find More Posts by bdshort
Old Aug 26, 2011, 10:52 PM
Joined Mar 2011
40 Posts
N91361 actually made her maiden flight before Season 2 of "Flying Wild Alaska" aired.The plane had probably been flyable for quite a while but I was holding off the first flight in case it went bad I wanted all the details in place and in a photo. well I still haven't got to the details but fortunately my brother talked me into "Just take it out and fly it already". On the first flight it climbed up steeper then I was expecting as I quickly went for the elevator trim it began rolling left and I think I came close to spinning it. I got aggressive with the controls, leveled it out and trimmed it.After a couple of flights with left wing low and a lot of right rudder I took it home. I canted the motor a little, messed with the aileron linkage and a flap that droops more than the other.
That evening when the wind calmed my daughter and I went back to the park for some more flying.It still doesn't fly perfectly true but is very close and will get better I think with some little tweaks here and there.we put in the parachute guy and later two and made multiple drops.This is my first RC plane to have flaps and I'm having the time of my life making short and soft field take offs and landings.Thanks! Pat Tritle (I now want another) and those who posted comments. I have some video I will try to post.
Last edited by wingnover; Aug 30, 2011 at 12:32 AM.