HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 31, 2011, 05:30 PM
United Kingdom, England, Gt Lon
Joined Nov 2007
2,646 Posts
Discussion
Where are you quadcopter guys mounting your cloverleaf antennas?

So I recieved my new cloverlead antenna today, havent tested it yet but I'm eager but Im tryng to find a suitable place to mount this thing. I cant mount it in the center on top as my mk quad has gps mounted there, the only place suitable is maybe under one of the arms but this antenna looks fragile and if the arm that has the antenna mounted on it ever hit the ground well im sure it would turn the antenna into mush.

Anyone got any pics of how theyve mounted there cloverleaf antennas on a quad?
Im flying this (minus camera mount): http://mikrokopter.altigator.com/ima...oKopter_L4.jpg
malcr001 is offline Find More Posts by malcr001
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2011, 06:00 PM
Future-proof EVERYTHING
NY
Joined Jul 2008
762 Posts
I have the HK cheapie frame installed. I am going to put mine right on top of the head(top), snaking the coax to the Tx which is installed on one of the arms.

My GPS is installed on another one of the arms, and not how yours is installed in the center so it may not be an option for you.

I am running 1.2, so the antenna is pretty big. What frequency are you running?
DarkHeli is offline Find More Posts by DarkHeli
Old Jun 01, 2011, 01:24 PM
Joined Nov 2007
2,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHeli View Post
I have the HK cheapie frame installed. I am going to put mine right on top of the head(top), snaking the coax to the Tx which is installed on one of the arms.

My GPS is installed on another one of the arms, and not how yours is installed in the center so it may not be an option for you.

I am running 1.2, so the antenna is pretty big. What frequency are you running?
Im running on 1280mhz so yep I probly have the same antenna as you. I think my only choice is to mount it under one of the arms.
Old Jun 01, 2011, 01:28 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,380 Posts
I wouldn't mount it under an arm. It'll get mashed.

Mount up high on top, and move the GPS Rx.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2011, 04:15 PM
Joined Nov 2007
2,646 Posts
I know the GPS Unit must face the right direction as the board has arrows pointing to the direction it must face but Im not sure if it must be mounted in the center or not. I wouldent want to mount it somewhere else then find out the gps position hold goes completly off. Logically I dont see how it would have any problems though. I would have to wrap it in some huge heatshrink because the gps unit is mounted on a pcb board.
Old Jun 01, 2011, 05:24 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,380 Posts
Does the OSD associated with the "GPS unit" have an internal IMU (gyros/accelerometers/etc)?
Otherwise a pure GPS Rx itself doesn't care what direction it's pointing, or whether it's anywhere near the CG.
The only thing a GPS unit cares about is that the flat side of its patch antenna is
facing the sky.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2011, 05:39 PM
Joined Nov 2007
2,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Does the OSD associated with the "GPS unit" have an internal IMU (gyros/accelerometers/etc)?
Otherwise a pure GPS Rx itself doesn't care what direction it's pointing, or whether it's anywhere near the CG.
The only thing a GPS unit cares about is that the flat side of its patch antenna is
facing the sky.

ian
Its not the gps for the my OSD, I know this can go anywhere and currently just have that mounted on my quad front arm. Its the GPS that provides my MK quad with the ability hold its position which means it can counteract gusts of winds and also includes coming home functions and mapping out gps coordinates for it to take. This board is connected to a navi board and mk3 mag which has a 3-axis magnetic field sensor. The naviboard is connected to the flight control where it has a 3 axis gyro so yes I very much think that this is all interlinked so maybe its not a good idea moving it.

Relavant links:
http://www.mikrokopter.de/ucwiki/en/NaviCtrl
http://www.mikrokopter.de/ucwiki/en/FlightCtrlManual
Old Jun 01, 2011, 05:43 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Is there any benefit to using a Clover Leaf antenna on an aircraft that does not bank or pitch to that steep an angle in flight? Just wondering.
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 01, 2011, 06:01 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,380 Posts
That assumes that's the only thing its good for. Personally I don't find that
banking has any significant effect on my video, even when using linearly polarized
antennas. I dunno about yourself, but when I fly my Tricopter I fly low and close to,
beside/behind/below trees and structures more than any other FPV aircraft, which
produces a lot of multi-path interference and the biggest strength of CP antennas is
in their ability to reject multi-path interference. My tricopter is getting a new
brain soon and I'll probably switch to CP antennas as soon as it's ready to fly again.

This is HD video, but I remember the view through the goggles was pretty brutal
when I was underneath the tree, even though I had clear LoS from Tx to Rx.
FPV - Tricopter- lower/faster (5 min 10 sec)

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2011, 06:06 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcr001 View Post
Its not the gps for the my OSD, I know this can go anywhere and currently just have that mounted on my quad front arm. Its the GPS that provides my MK quad with the ability hold its position which means it can counteract gusts of winds and also includes coming home functions and mapping out gps coordinates for it to take. This board is connected to a navi board and mk3 mag which has a 3-axis magnetic field sensor. The naviboard is connected to the flight control where it has a 3 axis gyro so yes I very much think that this is all interlinked so maybe its not a good idea moving it.

Relavant links:
http://www.mikrokopter.de/ucwiki/en/NaviCtrl
http://www.mikrokopter.de/ucwiki/en/FlightCtrlManual
Well, then don't just call it a GPS. It's a full controller and it needs to
be oriented a specific way due to the magnetic sensors. In theory it shouldn't need to
be on the CG, but that's the place where it's most protected. Nothing should
prevent you from putting the cloverleaf antenna above one of the arms if can't
put it beside the GPS antenna above the main body.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2011, 06:24 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
That assumes that's the only thing its good for. Personally I don't find that
banking has any significant effect on my video, even when using linearly polarized
antennas. I dunno about yourself, but when I fly my Tricopter I fly low and close to,
beside/behind/below trees and structures more than any other FPV aircraft, which
produces a lot of multi-path interference and the biggest strength of CP antennas is
in their ability to reject multi-path interference. My tricopter is getting a new
brain soon and I'll probably switch to CP antennas as soon as it's ready to fly again.

This is HD video, but I remember the view through the goggles was pretty brutal
when I was underneath the tree, even though I had clear LoS from Tx to Rx.
http://www.vimeo.com/14077929

ian
Thanks Ian, I was thinking about getting one and now you have sold me on it.
What do you suggest I use on my GS?
Old Jun 01, 2011, 06:30 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,380 Posts
IBCrazy says he gets fantastic results with another CP omni
(Cloverleaf or Skew Planar Wheel) on the Rx so I'll probably try that first, and use a
helical or his upcoming CP patch if I want more range, although range is rarely
something I worry about with the tricopter. In fact, I'd like to have a totally portable
GS just for the tricopter (a little less elaborate than yours) with a CP omni sticking
up from a pack on my back or even on my head, because I don't need a HT for the tricopter.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2011, 08:03 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
IBCrazy says he gets fantastic results with another CP omni
(Cloverleaf or Skew Planar Wheel) on the Rx so I'll probably try that first, and use a
helical or his upcoming CP patch if I want more range, although range is rarely
something I worry about with the tricopter. In fact, I'd like to have a totally portable
GS just for the tricopter (a little less elaborate than yours) with a CP omni sticking
up from a pack on my back or even on my head, because I don't need a HT for the tricopter.

ian
I don't use my Back Pack GS for my copters, I use a single RX and omni antenna. I never fly it far from myself.
Old Jun 02, 2011, 06:23 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarro View Post
Is there any benefit to using a Clover Leaf antenna on an aircraft that does not bank or pitch to that steep an angle in flight? Just wondering.
Only if your RX antenna is circularly polarized also. Otherwise there will be little (if any) noticable difference. I get 1.6 miles out of a cloverleaf/skew-wheel combo comfortably:

Mission at Tobacco Mountain - BluBeam FPV (3 min 28 sec)
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 02, 2011, 07:13 AM
Joined Nov 2007
2,646 Posts
This thread has kind of turned into the thread "why should I buy a cloverleaf antenna". There are plenty of that info in the actual cloverleaf antenna development thread and theres no doubt cloverleaf antennas are great but I'm more interested in seeing photos of how people have mounted their antennas on multicopters as this is my problem.