HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 24, 2011, 04:30 AM
Joined Jan 2011
150 Posts
Just wondering, could anyone here suggest me a good setup in order to go vertical with this plane and a 3s 2200mah LiPo?
jeanorwin is offline Find More Posts by jeanorwin
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2011, 05:35 AM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
2,955 Posts
Would this plane be self correcting in a glide when carrying a gopro? I've heard the ezstar can do this.
TheNiceGuy is offline Find More Posts by TheNiceGuy
Old Jun 24, 2011, 08:29 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
5,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanorwin View Post
Just wondering, could anyone here suggest me a good setup in order to go vertical with this plane and a 3s 2200mah LiPo?
With the stock motor and a 6X4 prop it will do that. Ask me how I know.
Flypoppa is online now Find More Posts by Flypoppa
Old Jun 24, 2011, 08:53 AM
United States, DE, Bear
Joined Apr 2007
1,397 Posts
As long as you keep the CG forward the Bixler has positive stability, which means it will "self correct".
maguro is offline Find More Posts by maguro
Old Jun 24, 2011, 01:54 PM
Joined Jan 2011
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
With the stock motor and a 6X4 prop it will do that. Ask me how I know.
Okay, thanks - Do you think I could use the Bixler as a tow plane? If I add a self-built gear or so? And can I split the wings into 2 parts for easier transportation(I need to be able to drive around with it on my bike, having the plane in my backpack).

And: Can I use any 6x4 prop or does it need to be a pusher? This might be my first plane with a motor mounted backwards..
Last edited by jeanorwin; Jun 24, 2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 03:14 PM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
5,834 Posts
Well it depends on what you want to tow. But It could do it although I have not tried it yet.
As for breaking it down to carry on your bike. why not build a box or convert the box it came in, and make some sort of strap attachment to carry it as a back pack.
This is what I did to the box and how I transport my Bixler.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 02:40 AM
Joined Jan 2011
150 Posts
That's actually an idea, but I'm unsure may I really want to have a huge carton with me all the time..
Old Jun 26, 2011, 05:57 AM
FPV Noob
United Kingdom, Scotland, Aberdeen
Joined Jun 2011
289 Posts
Should I go for it?

Hello everybody, I was wondering if I should go for this plane or not? It looks very cool and most people seem to think it's a wise purchase but, being a newbie, I am a bit worried about fixing it when it breaks (control horns as people have mentioned...). Any advice?
Also, did any British people get stung for import VAT when they bought theirs (which shipping method- EMS or Air Parcel)? Plus did you have to pay extra for Parcelforce/Royal Mail to deliver it???
Thanks for any help guys/gals
Al
fpsazerbaijan is offline Find More Posts by fpsazerbaijan
Old Jun 26, 2011, 07:51 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
5,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsazerbaijan View Post
Hello everybody, I was wondering if I should go for this plane or not? It looks very cool and most people seem to think it's a wise purchase but, being a newbie, I am a bit worried about fixing it when it breaks (control horns as people have mentioned...). Any advice?
Also, did any British people get stung for import VAT when they bought theirs (which shipping method- EMS or Air Parcel)? Plus did you have to pay extra for Parcelforce/Royal Mail to deliver it???
Thanks for any help guys/gals
Al
Hi and welcome to this thread.
First and most important, If you buy from Hobby King you should not get 'Stung'. They are good at HK for this... Know what I mean Harry.
HK postage is heavy, but EMS is the way for post to the UK. No extra charge.
But even with the post cost it still works out cheaper than if you bought from a UK dealer.
If you have read some of the posts you will see that as the model is cheap, you get cheap parts. So I would advise get the 'Kit' and buy better bits that you will need.
As for fixing... That is the name of this hobby. You WILL crash and you will need to fix things.
Any problems and we are here to help you.

Here is yet another thread on the Bixler.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post18600585
Last edited by Flypoppa; Jun 26, 2011 at 08:04 AM.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 08:50 AM
FPV Noob
United Kingdom, Scotland, Aberdeen
Joined Jun 2011
289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
Hi and welcome to this thread.
First and most important, If you buy from Hobby King you should not get 'Stung'. They are good at HK for this... Know what I mean Harry.
HK postage is heavy, but EMS is the way for post to the UK. No extra charge.
But even with the post cost it still works out cheaper than if you bought from a UK dealer.
If you have read some of the posts you will see that as the model is cheap, you get cheap parts. So I would advise get the 'Kit' and buy better bits that you will need.
As for fixing... That is the name of this hobby. You WILL crash and you will need to fix things.
Any problems and we are here to help you.

Here is yet another thread on the Bixler.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post18600585
Hello Flypoppa, thanks for the great advice, my only concerns now are if I were to buy the KIT version, I would have to solder in the ESC and other wires correct? Being a newbie I would have absolutely no clue how to solder and I would probs end up breaking the plane... So I don't know what to do...
Thanks for advice and tips
Al
fpsazerbaijan is offline Find More Posts by fpsazerbaijan
Old Jun 26, 2011, 10:57 AM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,493 Posts
Quote:
Hello Flypoppa, thanks for the great advice, my only concerns now are if I were to buy the KIT version, I would have to solder in the ESC and other wires correct? Being a newbie I would have absolutely no clue how to solder and I would probs end up breaking the plane... So I don't know what to do...
Al
Find a local flying club or someone else to help you that has experience. You will be glad you did.
jrjr is online now Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Jun 26, 2011, 12:08 PM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
2,955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maguro View Post
As long as you keep the CG forward the Bixler has positive stability, which means it will "self correct".
Thanks, I'm intersted in this feature, perhaps even just using the wings on my WingDragon AP plane, as it cannot "positive stability".

Quote:
Al
I think I understand where you are coming from. And there is no club or person around here into RC aircraft, so I had to learn all off the net.
You can buy kits ready to go that just need batteries, but they are either a bit expensive or sub-class materials. I got into the hobby this month last year. I bought a fully ready to go - no soldering - WingDragon with transmitter, etc. online in country here in Japan at teh cheapest shop available. It cost me with shipping $160, and I lost it within a couple of weeks in a cloud and bought another one. It had archaic equipment - brushed motor, NIHM batteries, 72mhs TX. WAAAY overpriced.
I damaged the wings and prop in a crash immediately partly due to flying in too small an area, and had to order a new prop at $30 for 2. Again WAAAY overpriced. Wings were even more, so I bought a hot glue gun for $5 and fixed it perfect. Then read on this site about duct tape on the wings. Then learned about places liek HobbyKing that ship internationaly safe hassle free and cheap. Then bought a soldering iron and learned to solder from reading and replaced all the electronics with high end and MUCH cheaper ones than stock to make a basically new aircraft.
So it depends. I think the full silly kits are great for people who want to try it a couple of weekends and wash their hands of it all possibly if RC is not for them. Save a lot of money in the longrun. But the fact you're on this site tells me you are a bit more interested, and would possibly enjoy getting technical in the hobby a bit.
To answer your question, sounds like you could buy teh stock kit from HK, 2 lipos for the plane, a cheap lipo charger, a soldering iron with solder localy for probably under $10, and away you go. If you have any problems, upgrades are cheap from HK and can be added later.
Who knows, you may hate something about the RC experience and want to wash your hands of it after the first run.

Good luck and have fun
TheNiceGuy is offline Find More Posts by TheNiceGuy
Old Jun 27, 2011, 03:36 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,280 Posts
Re soldering... there are some good tutorials on YouTube..
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Jun 30, 2011, 06:04 AM
Joined Jan 2011
150 Posts
Ah, still one question that is open for me: Are the wings splittable?
Old Jun 30, 2011, 08:00 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanorwin View Post
Ah, still one question that is open for me: Are the wings splittable?

In my experience, all wings are splittable if you crash it hard enough......

Seriously, wing attachment looks to be identical to the EasyStar <oh what a surprise....>. Slot in, two seperate wings.. see pic 7 in this post:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=27
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink